• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tribe Book Club Version 2.0

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
DragonLance is as far as I have gone.
Actually I've read a lot of Noam Chomsky stuff too, but thats about it ;)

Zigg'

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vox
okay...even if you take the person doug coupland out of the equation (if you even believe that (a) such an entity exists and (b) such a thing is possible), then even based on his writing style, i still find it gratingly vapid and empty, cultural studies 101 type stuff.

this dude in my class once did a musicological analysis of the song "girlfriend in a coma" against a reading of the text, and it was fucking brilliant...
I hated that book.

Microserfs rules. My favourite book (next to Six Degrees of Separation) of all time.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I think Mofo's first choices were great! A Star Trek convention would be more appealing than discussion Gibson.

If you really wanted to pick something apart though, Coetzee or Nabokov would be great choices.

odbx

vox

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
I think Mofo's first choices were great! A Star Trek convention would be more appealing than discussion Gibson.

If you really wanted to pick something apart though, Coetzee or Nabokov would be great choices.

odbx

you're right on the money.

coetzee makes me go crazy.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KickIT
I quickly lost interest in it because I just assumed it was using the same formula as Fight Club.
It doesn't suck. It's not the same as fight club. I still thought it was kind of blase. The ending wasn't super-shocking a la fight club.

I'm not even in Tdot, but I suggest you read Cory Doctorow's "Down and out in the Magic Kindom". Chuck Palahniuk meets Neil Stephenson. (or for the more old skool - Irvine Welsh meets William Gibson)

KickIT

TRIBE Member
K, well to be honest. I'm an no literary guru and many of you seem like you know what you're talking about and I'd rather not have a book selection ripped apart, so I'll defer book selection to someone else. Even better idea, why don't we figure out who's coming and take the book selection discussion to those involved instead of the Tribe scrutiny machine.

*c*

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vox
or!!! JACK WOMACK. he's written "random acts of senseless violence"

So good.

I'd be up for reading Womack, or Gibson (that book actually sounded like a good read Chuckie), or China Mieville.

Ok apparently I'm no help whatsoever.

I just finished a big flouncy 900 page book about a victorian prostitute (so freakin good), so I'm kinda in the mood for SF.

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
^^ is that "the crimson petal and the white"?

I'll 3rd the motion for China Mieville. I read Scar and then quickly ran out to get his other 2 books.

Last edited:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Well, the Tribunal has decided and Gibson's "Defending Elitism" it is.

I will be ordering copies from work if anyone needs one.

Also, we will set a time and date. Jane, you choose it.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by vox
this dude in my class once did a musicological analysis of the song "girlfriend in a coma" against a reading of the text, and it was fucking brilliant...

I'd like to read that... and I agree about Coupland-- vapid, but somehow interesting, like picking your nose.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I don't know about you but picking my nose is a favourite past-time.

Reading Generation X right now again.

Coupland is perfect for the guy who wants to just sit on the sidelines, complain about corporations and every so often, give a can of food to the food drive to, you know, make a difference.

Fine Chuck. Jane, you pick the book.

Last edited:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Also, if you pick your nose enough, you can collect enough matter to adhere your Michael Moore poster on the wall.

Well, I'd like to read:

Choke by Palahniuk
Pattern Recognition by Gibson
Underworld by Delillo

And no one has emailed me yet except for one so please do:

sunnyfong@tpl.toronto.on.ca

I am going to add you to a group list.

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
You'll never get everyone to read 'Underworld'.

They should, but they won't. I've lent that book to so many people, maybe one or two actually finished it. I considered ending friendships because of it.

Tonedeff

TRIBE Member
good point...and that's why I don't join bookclubs, because nobody ever reads the books. I also never lend books to anyone...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hal-9000

They should, but they won't. I've lent that book to so many people, maybe one or two actually finished it. I considered ending friendships because of it.

I'm going to buy it after the new year. Yeah, it's not a realyl good book club book.

Adam

TRIBE Member
What's Underworld about?

It would actually be a great book club book, because every used book store I go to has about 30 copies of it.

derek

TRIBE Member
i'm in.

so we're reading gibson's - pattern recognition

if we really wanna have a disc about a book that could go on forever i suggest Phillip K Dick's Valis trilogy (at least valis at any rate)

peace,

drek

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hal-9000

i couldn't get through it. the first chapter was incredible and done in a completely different writing style. and then the rest of the story begins and it jumps all over the place and can become pretty confusing. although it wasn't nearly as bad as the time i tried to read infinite jest (a good portion of which is one big giant footnote). there should be warnings on these books for simpletons like me.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Well, we haven't decided on a book since Chuck doesn't want us to pick his book. So I nominated Jane to pick a book since it's going to be at her place.