• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tribe Book Club Version 2.0

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Amazon Review:

With Pattern Recognition, William Gibson, the man who introduced cyberpunk to the world, gives us his first novel set in the present. But as Gibson's imagination makes clear, our corporation-dominated, technologically advanced reality doesn't need much tweaking to take on the aura of science fiction.
If there's a fantastical element to this, the author's eighth book, it's in protagonist Cayce Pollard's special talent. Here, Gibson takes some of No Logo author Naomi Klein's ideas about branding to a logical extreme: Pollard has an instinctual, often violently intense reaction to logos, a condition that makes her valuable to advertising agencies looking for the most effective way to brand a product. This talent, however, makes a trip to a department store potentially lethal, as when she visits a London shopping emporium and is inundated by "a mountainside of Tommy [Hilfiger] coming down in her head." "Some people ingest a single peanut and their head swells like a basketball," writes Gibson. "When it happens to Cayce, it's her psyche.... When it starts, it's pure reaction, like biting down hard on a piece of foil." Pollard is also a "coolhunter" of the first order, which means she can sniff out a trend before it's even begun to be commodified. She's so good, in fact, that "she's met the very Mexican who first wore his baseball cap backwards."

With such sensitivity to our over-branded world, it's completely natural that our heroine would become fascinated by Internet footage of a film in which characters, setting, and time are completely generic--unbranded, unfixed, free. But Pollard isn't the only one obsessed by "the footage," as it's referred to, and this is where Gibson's masterful storytelling comes to the fore. Who will be the first to solve the mystery of the film's origin? Who else is trying, and for what potentially nefarious purpose? As usual the author proves adept at weaving a suspenseful narrative out of humdrum elements, such as e-mail exchanges. If there's a caveat, it's that, as with literary forefather Philip K. Dick, the Vancouver-based author's prose veers wildly from the poetic to the clunky. And his supporting characters often amount to nothing more than a combination of an unusual name and shadowy motive. But the continual barrage of ideas, and the way Gibson arranges them for maximum impact, make for a gripping and insightful glimpse into our hyperdriven consumer culture. --Shawn Conner

*c*

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by PRIMAL
contentious, inclination

I'm going to have to read the dictionary first before I start using these types of words in regular conversation.

so pretentious you are.

;)

Yo bitch, those aren't even the big guns--those be five dolla words, wait till I start breaking out the 10 dolla goodies, like ersatz and immiscible. Yeah, thas right, you got shit to look up now, don'tchya booooiiiiiii.

(Also, I'd be all for reading Gibson. That's if I'm allowed in your stupid book club for jerks.)

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KickIT
I quickly lost interest in it because I just assumed it was using the same formula as Fight Club. I could start it again.

I don't follow your logic....

I've read all of Pahlaniuk's books and every one is in the same "formula"...Choke and Survivor especially. They all kind of deal with "self discovery" in a way. If your looking for something along the lines of Fight Club, I'd suggest Invisible Monsters.

Just ask Keith (GP)....he'll school ya on em.

Survivor and Lullaby are the 2 best IMO.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
If not Pahlaniuk...and if you liked American Gods, I'd suggest "Neverwhere" by Gaiman as well.

I read it and then re-read it right after.

I thought it was that good.

:D

Damnit, you guys sound like your gonna be reading right along my interest lines....why oh why do I have to be in Saskatchewan?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
cant remember the author for the life of me,but its called 'penthouse forum',lots of interesting forums about loose women in compromising positions,check it out.

sk8

TRIBE Member
I like the Gibson idea.

that sounds like it will have lots of jumping points for...."spirited discussion"

Imajica

TRIBE Member
Lullaby was excellent. .

choke was interesting at times. . some real moments to be had for sure but as a whole. . not really worth the time I invested in it.

I'd recomend oryx and crakes by Margrett Atwood. Now that was well done!

vox

TRIBE Member
i'm in.

but i'm outski for gibson. gibson is about as appealing and deep as douglas coupland.

the whole genre of cyberpunk is really just a reiteration of pulpy detective novels from the 50s (the gritty underworld, the disenchanted - male - protagonist, the femme fatale), plus gibson is about a good a writer as my cat. booooooring. and anything to do with "no logo" or branding, or our rampant consumerism is DONE TO DEATH. i mean, let's be a little MORE redundant shall we?

he's been flogging the same horse for a decade now.

i suggest JAMES MORROW (author of "towing jehovah", "this is the way the world ends", "only begotten daughter"). he writes these ass-kicking books (he's an atheist) about religion, science, belief, personal will, all mashed up together. "only begotten daughter" was about jesus' half-sister being born in atlantic city, and how she learns to deal with her role, and meets the devil, and some right-wing fundamentalist christians who are running around crucifying everyone. "towing jehovah" is about god's body being found floating in the middle of the ocean...i haven't read it yet...but i want to.

or else i'd suggest CHINA MIEVILLE for anyone on the sf tip. he's hot and young and writes about urban underbelly's. plus his book "perdido street station" won the arthur c. clarke award, and has everything from hallucinogens to hell-imagery.

or! we should read WILL SELF. he's this hype debaucherous brit author...and let's face it...nobody does debauchery like the brits.

or! we should read salmon rushdie...because i haven't yet...and apparently "midnight's children" is the shiznit...and really deep and layered and inter-textual and po-mo and all those other things that get my nether regions in a tizzy.

or!!! JACK WOMACK. he's written "random acts of senseless violence", "elvissey", "going, going, gone")...he's probably my favorite under-the-radar SF author. he has this whole series called the "ambient" series about this near-future near-apocalyptic world where everyone is under the control of this one corporation who believes that society needs a new jesus-type saviour and it's elvis. and there's this other underground movement of people called "ambients" who speak this INSANEO broken language (language experiments in fiction also make my nether regions crazy...cuz it means you have to be brilliant), and purposely hack off their own limbs. it's dark and incisive and scathingly sarcastic.

or!!! my other suggestion for an author is j.m. coetzee. he's FUCKING BRILLIANT!!! his latest novel "age of iron" won a nobel prize...he's south african and he writes about apartheid and race and post-colonialism in the most lyrical, dreamy, lush-yet-edited way imaginable.
he wrote this book called "foe" which was a re-writing of the story of robinson crusoe, that put a woman on the island, and re-focuses the story on friday's character.

or he wrote this other book called "disgrace" which is soooo tight (from a stylistic point of view) but so dense with ideas about the current state of south africa that i still can't quite get my head around it.

whew. that's my rant. i've never read chuck palachinuikjdakd or whatever his name is...but something tells me that it's poo. just a hunch.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
The whole point of this book club is to read something that someone else suggests. To broaden our horizons, right?
If you read Gibson before then cool, that's grounds for an ixnay.

I think Rushdie is a great idea as well. But we'll go in an order so that we cover a lot of ground. It's not like we're going to read Gibson then read another Gaiman novel and blah blah blah.

Anyway, the tribunal will chat it over. *slams a book down*
:D

DOUGLAS COUPLAND FOR PRIME MINISTER.

vox

TRIBE Member
douglas coupland is a blatant hypocrite! and annoyingly self-serving.

oooh, regardez-la! i critique my generation's fatuousness and commodification in the most reductive, facile way imaginable, and yet i'll make furniture for them to buy!

aren't i precious???

vox

TRIBE Member
there wouldn't be anything to talk about with gibson...he's not a MEATY author...which was the same complaint i had with the gaiman.

BOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG.

vox

TRIBE Member
ack!

:p

i'm sure they'll perfectly support the weight of your bronzed copy of no logo.

hee hee i say!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Wait, let me ask you this: can we judge an author's writing according to their personal life and ideologies like a musical artist or a politician?

I, personally, love Coupland's stories. He is my #1 author and I don't think there's anything wrong with selling affordable hockey tables. There isn't anything wrong with selling expensive hockey tables. As long as people are buying them, it's not like it's crack or car parts made in Mexico.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
0375410341.jpg

vox

TRIBE Member
okay...even if you take the person doug coupland out of the equation (if you even believe that (a) such an entity exists and (b) such a thing is possible), then even based on his writing style, i still find it gratingly vapid and empty, cultural studies 101 type stuff.

this dude in my class once did a musicological analysis of the song "girlfriend in a coma" against a reading of the text, and it was fucking brilliant...