• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tribe BBQ

Taro

TRIBE Member
okay - this is really an inquiry thread - because I no longer live in TO - but some of my friends (or friends of friends on facebook) have been posting about this guy named Baker who apparently played?

I can't seem to get - and this is like after 4-5 messages (the kids these days can't seem to identify what exactly they are listening to) - what style of music this guy plays - I've never heard of him, nor have I ever seen a post by him on this board...so I"m curious who this guy is and what he plays...?

ps - hope it went well Alex!

Taro

TRIBE Member
okay! - so, he plays 4 to the floor doesn't he? I think I've heard some of his production

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Really liked solicevip's set. We arrived while he was playing so it started the BBQ of nicely for me. Met some new people, ran into Jacks daycare teacher, played with the kids, danced a little, ate some food, lost my rollerskate charm from my necklace... and I think Jack got a girls phone number.

Successful day! :)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks for coming out everyone! It was stellar! Perfect weather, great people, great music, and superb bacon. Even the agro police bicycle gang that showed up at the beginning to intimidate us never got me down.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
We caught the last 3 hours. People were in great spirits! well done. I haven't been to one before so we thought we better check that out.

great ferry ride, and the island is a great location..

bbq'd some burgers!

Some great tunes. Red turtle played some wicked breaks and I don't usually like breaks. Some old jungle as well all on vinyl. Thunder delivered a great house set.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Thank you Tribe....is was awesome to see so many familiar peeps. So good to hear some good chunes! Twas a beautiful day on the island. I had lots of fun spinning. I ate too much BBQ and accidentally misplaced too many poured drinks. Man...haven't heard a full "breaks" set in years....that was really neat.

Thanks alexd for the meat and the good times!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

GoldieLocks

TRIBE Promoter
I was actually on my way to the beach and didn't even know this BBQ was happening but I saw it on my way there and stopped by for a while after some swimming and the music was awesome! not sure who was spinning around 5-6pm but I had a good time playing some frisbee with the family near by. I would have came over to say hi but didn't think I would know who anyone was.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Are cheese curds any good if they have been sitting in the TBQ van overnight in my driveway? Because I found some cheese curds. Also soft taco shells.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I was actually on my way to the beach and didn't even know this BBQ was happening but I saw it on my way there and stopped by for a while after some swimming and the music was awesome! not sure who was spinning around 5-6pm but I had a good time playing some frisbee with the family near by. I would have came over to say hi but didn't think I would know who anyone was.
You can always come over and speak to me! Next time, do. Thanks for coming!

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I was spinning 5-6!

That was maybe the best TBQ yet and I haven't missed one in a while.

Arrived from an easy ferry ride (so awesome this isn't on Canada Day anymore, that was always mayhem), and Mark was spinning some up-front house. Everyone was so relaxed and there was a real family/friends vibe going on.

I had a blast playing. Tobes you are the best booth babe ever. And I'll take a short power outage over torrential downpours any day!

Perfect day that ended for us with a little girl playing "Call Me Maybe" on repeat from her mommy's phone with volume turned up on our streetcar ride home. So wrong but kinda hilarious and entirely appropriate for some odd reason.

Thanks everyone who played with our kids! Love that they were fighting over who gets to climb the bassbin. And to any ladies that may have given Jack your phone number: don't expect a call. He hasn't figured out how to use a phone yet.

Had so much fun dropping this track (especially when Toby figured out what was going to happen before the drop and Mark came running to the booth):

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Props to Tobywan for the essential support for the TBQ every year, and also props to Jay for his excellent rope work and roadie assistance on the setup and takedown.

2blu_

TRIBE Member
certainly was an amazing birthday. great vibes, great music and plenty of food!

thanks for helping me get my bbq started, scooping hot coals with rubber gloves!?
THANK YOU!

pleasure meeting you, alex, and a few others.

looking forward to next year! :D

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
For crying out loud!!! What did you get your man for valentines day?!?

:p:)

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
That was fun! One of my favourite things to do during the summer is the Tribe BBQ. Always amazing seeing some old faces and meeting some new ones. My wife and baby Olive had the best time. Thanks to Alex and Toby for running things!

Some great tunes. Red turtle played some wicked breaks and I don't usually like breaks. Some old jungle as well all on vinyl. Thunder delivered a great house set.
Thanks James! I went digging in my crates for some old classics and even threw in a couple dubstep tracks. No one was the wiser ;)

Man...haven't heard a full "breaks" set in years....that was really neat.
:) Nice meeting you Mark

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
good times!

my first Tribe BBQ and I thought it was great, dug the music, thanks for organizing Alex.

My shoulder is wrecked from throwing the football with 2blu for hours. Went for a swim at Hanlans after I left and the water conditions were amazing, surprisingly far better than Ward's Beach and shallow way way out into the water. fuck I love the island so damned much.

Track ID: who made that Violent Femmes remix of Blister in the Sun that Neil (?) played? Anyone?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am pretty amazed that I drove the rented cargo van back to the secret TRIBE office! Never driven a huge van before - my little car, the boiled egg, is a quarter of the size!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders