• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Treo 650 (or any cell phone) questions

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I've had my old basic samsung phone for 4 years, so I'm a little out of touch with all the new fancy cell features... especially since I just bought a Treo 650. So I have a few questions:

1. Can I send pictures to other cell phones just like a text message? I know you can use bluetooth and infrared and versamail, but I mean sending a picture that I took with my phone to a friend miles away.

2. Is it possible to get cracked software for the Palm?

3. If I set up versamail so that I can received my Outlook emails on my Treo, do ALL my emails get forwarded to my cell? I have unlimited data package for now, but that's quite a lot of data to be receiving on my phone all the time.

4. Can I connect to wireless internet connections in my vicinity to browse the web (without using my phone's connection through Bell mobility)?

5. I have the Tungsten GPS navigation system thing too.... but they didn't include the charger (only an ac adapter). Where would I be able to get a charger!?

I know I'll come up with more questions... but any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! I'm usually really good with new gadgets, but this Treo is just SO unbelievably awesome that I think I'll be discovering new features for months.

ian

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
I've had my old basic samsung phone for 4 years, so I'm a little out of touch with all the new fancy cell features... especially since I just bought a Treo 650. So I have a few questions:

1. Can I send pictures to other cell phones just like a text message? I know you can use bluetooth and infrared and versamail, but I mean sending a picture that I took with my phone to a friend miles away.

2. Is it possible to get cracked software for the Palm?

3. If I set up versamail so that I can received my Outlook emails on my Treo, do ALL my emails get forwarded to my cell? I have unlimited data package for now, but that's quite a lot of data to be receiving on my phone all the time.

4. Can I connect to wireless internet connections in my vicinity to browse the web (without using my phone's connection through Bell mobility)?

5. I have the Tungsten GPS navigation system thing too.... but they didn't include the charger (only an ac adapter). Where would I be able to get a charger!?

I know I'll come up with more questions... but any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! I'm usually really good with new gadgets, but this Treo is just SO unbelievably awesome that I think I'll be discovering new features for months.
1) Yes. You can do this as an attachment in any email (Versamail whatever).

2) Yes. For Palm though, I haven't had too much luck. I usually just pay.

3) Depends on your settings I believe. You can tweak this.

4) Yes, with extra software you need to download/find/research can connect to Wifi Networks. I believe this is a little tricky. I'm planning on doing this soon. It is obviously faster then the native Bell 1x network.

5) No clue.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
thanks ian!

About my question regarding sending pictures, I was more wondering about sending pictures to those cell phones that do not have "versamail". Like a simple nokia or motorola phone.

I'm thinking abotu that commercial where that person is shopping and sending pictures of stuff back to their spouse at home.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
ooh, I just thought of another question.

To use my Treo as an "mp3 player" I know I would need a memory card, but am I limited in terms of what file types I can transfer onto it?
Also, can I use any headphones with it? Would my PSP headphones work?

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
You can store any kind of file on to the memory card, it's just like other forms of storage (USB, hard drive, CD, etc.). However, you obviously won't be able to access every file type using the phone. If you plug the memory into a laptop I am sure you can access those files.

As for headphones, there's no reason why you can't use any headphones. If you can plug it in it should work.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Yesterday my Treo froze :|

None of the buttons worked, I waited, the screen didn't turn off, it just sat there, useless. I had to remove the battery and put it back in to restart the phone.

Wtf?!

ian

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
Yesterday my Treo froze :|

None of the buttons worked, I waited, the screen didn't turn off, it just sat there, useless. I had to remove the battery and put it back in to restart the phone.

Wtf?!
That can happen sometimes when it gets *busy*. Usually it will recover if you let it be for a few minutes. Otherwise, don't remove the battery, a reset cdan be done with the stylus. Just poke it in the little hole next to the battery (you do need to take the back cover off).

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I'm beginning to understand people's frustrations with Palm devices now.... I can't even count how many times my Treo has restart itself spontaneously or froze in a blank screen state. Also the headphone adapter I need to use to listen to music is fucking humungous so it gets knocked out a lot. Plus finding software cracks is hell. meh. I still think it's a cool phone. :|

Still looking for more cool things I can do with the phone though... specifically wondering if anyone has figured out how to connect to the net via WiFi networks?? And if I set this up, would it still affect my data transfer amount?

What's a good free and/or easily cracked Messenger program I can use? My free trial of Chatopus ran out, but I didn't like it that much anyway.

One more thing, I finally set up my Tungsten GPS Navigation system! So AWESOME!!! I've only had issues with the bluetooth gps thingy... it has trouble finding a satelite (or whatever it uses) on rainy days, or if it's blocked by say the dashboard.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

miscreant

TRIBE Member
I love my Treo, finding software is easy. The only problems I have had was when installing cracked software but a hotsync to backup before i install anything fixes everything.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
ARrrrrrrgghhh.... I'm having problems syncing contacts from the Palm Desktop to my phone. It's just not happening.

Anyone know how to fix this?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories