• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Treasure hunting in South Africa 2015

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Some other angles:

Second day out yesterday in South Africa and first gold ring. Art Nouveau style 18k yellow gold ring with what I estimate to be a 3/4 carat diamond of excellent color and clarity, with 2 smaller accent diamonds. Found under waist deep sea, wedged in a rock crevasse. Wacky vine/floral design art piece suggests it is probably a few decades old. It looks like a different ring from every angle.

I will take it into to my gold buyer/jeweler here on Monday to get an appraisal and then sell it locally. I suspect book value will be in the $3000-$5000 range. Perhaps $4000. Let's see how accurate I am...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

A very heavy 18k ring encrusted with diamonds, set with emeralds, rubies, and sapphires.

My jeweler/appraiser guy down here is going to buy it off me and the money will pay for the expensive marine grade house paint for the exterior of the house. Yay!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
In only a month! A few years ago I found 44 gold rings in a 3 month period Lake Ontario, but nothing with diamonds or precious stones in them like down here.