• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Travelling Poland?

jus me

TRIBE Member
I'm going to be in Poland for just over a week from late april to early may, stopping in Gdansk, Krakow, Zakopane & Warsaw.

Has anyone travelled there before? Must sees & dos (or don'ts)? Favourite places to stay? What's the deal on private lodging, is it sketchy or safe?

What about the trains & buses? I can't read polish, therefore I can't understand their websites and don't know the processs of buying or booking tickets. I also heard about gassing and stealing from passengers on overnight trains...does it still happen?

And anyone have any insight on Zakopane and the Tatra Mountains?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
jus me said:
I'm going to be in Poland for just over a week from late april to early may, stopping in Gdansk, Krakow, Zakopane & Warsaw.

Has anyone travelled there before? Must sees & dos (or don'ts)? Favourite places to stay? What's the deal on private lodging, is it sketchy or safe?

What about the trains & buses? I can't read polish, therefore I can't understand their websites and don't know the processs of buying or booking tickets. I also heard about gassing and stealing from passengers on overnight trains...does it still happen?

And anyone have any insight on Zakopane and the Tatra Mountains?

Do not take an overnight bus/train NO MATTER WHAT!! especially if you are a girl or alone.
It's going to be cold.
Zakopane is gorgeous, too bad you're not going during warmer months. I assume you are bringing hiking shoes since you decided to go there. Try the smoked cheese while you're there.
Gdansk has an awesome electronic music scene with many festivals. Look out for that.
Krakow is beautiful. Photo ops at every corner.

Now Warsaw - Warsaw is this strange cocophany of pre-war and post-war architecture. Unfortuntely for me, it makes for a fairly ugly city on the whole but it has parts that are absolutely gorgeous. Old Town near the bridge has the brick fort where the infamous battlefield happened. There's a bazaar that happens every weekend for cheapo fake and black market goodies.

Łazienki Królewskie (literal translation bathrooms of the royalty) are a must see. I dont know what they call it in English, gorgeous peacocks strut their stuff in the park. Swans don the ponds. This is where Chopin
His statue also lies there. If you're interested in Chopin his heart also lies in one of the churches nearby. At least it used to and it's been transported around. My grandpa told me the story.
Pałac Myślewicki is also in there.

Nowy Swiat (New World) is great for shopping and strolling down cobblestone streets. Many new upscale stores found here. Cobblestone walking can also be found in the Old Town.
I don't know what your interest in but you might wanna try auschwitz, it's somewhat near Krakow, if you want some intense historical experience.
Most people in Warsaw speak a bit of English.
I don't know about lodging though.

Depending where you are staying, go to the supermarkets and get yourself some cheese & juice! Poland, imo, has the best cheeses in terms of prices, you won't find fancy french cheeses but you will find all kinda of crazy cream cheese and white cheese varieties. Same goes for juices!!! Also at great prices since the dollar goes fairly far in terms of food but not in terms of clothes.
If you need some English books or mags, Campik is the way to go.

Oh, Tatry are beautiful! But don't expect anyone to speak english while you're in zakopane. If you're having trouble finding a place to lodge, PM me & i can try to help you.

Last edited:

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
Poland has some very interesting and beautiful villages with a lot of history. Warsaw is like any other Eastern European city, expect a little bit of the new and a lot of the old. But overall I would have to say that Poland is by far the most depressing and bleek place I've been to in Europe.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I've been everywhere you're going

Zakopane,
beautiful it's like visiting a small ski resort, there is a tram that takesyou to the top you can have lunch and of course beer, the views are amazing some of the most beautiful i've seen. The locals there are very friendly and religious so respect that, there are plenty of shops selling everything from boots to rugs. This is a good place to buy souviners everywhere else is much more expensive. There is a traditional Polish restaurant there the exterior is made of wood (you'll know it when you see it) eat there the food was really good. It was very cool there in the later part of Sept so bring a winter jacket.

Krakow,
very progressive in comparison to the rest of Poland, it's a cosmopolitan area, the square is beautiful and was under construction when i was there last year, journey through the buildings and marvel in the architecture , I didn't have much time here but the time i did spend there was enjoyable.

Warsaw, it like visiting the old world and as someone else said it's like old meet new. It has it's own charm and plenty to see. There is an Estate there that belonged to a king, Palac Lazienkowski I think . it was a nice romantic walk and the buildings were beautiful. Sadly there isn't much to do in Warsaw aside from tour the sites, there is a castle there where some kings are burried and it has a dragon that breathes fire which was pretty neat. There is a section outside the main square that's like their Yorkville lots of boutiques. the square has lots of local artists selling their works we purchased a few pieces that we now have in our dining room.

oh yeah Polish chicks are pretty hot and you can park pretty much anywhere,

Karim

TRIBE Member
here's my experience with Gdansk. It's part of what they call the Tri City area, the cities include Gdansk, Gdynia, and Sopot. Gdynia has good shopping and restaurants, sopot is a beach town, and Gdansk has the history.

When you go to Gdansk, it's a given to walk through the old city which is over a thousand years old. They have festivals some summers. I'm sure you can read up alot about the happenings of this city online. It seems like there's always something going on.

Somebody told me about a Danny Howells party that took place on the beach in this area. I was too young when I went to party, however from what I hear, the EDM scene is, like miss riot said, alive and strong.

The best way to scoot around the tri city area is by train. Always keep your wallet in your front pocket or 'em gypsies gowna getcha. To be honest, I didn't notice pickpocketing being so bad there, but then again, who'd wanna steal a wallet off a 16-17 year old kid, so nobody really tried on me.

bushka

TRIBE Member
Krakow is gorgeous and I think you will want to spend more then just a few days here, but then again Gdansk is also beautiful, and who doesn't love the mountains....it's too bad that you're only going for just over a week. Honestly, if you can I would skip Warsaw and spend more time in these three areas.

My favorite thing to do in Krakow is to just hang out in the old market square (the largest in medieval Europe). You can shop in the "Sukiennice", check out the art on the wall of the old Barbican (Brama Florianska), visit the old Jewish quarter of Kazimierz, and of course visit the Wawel castle. You can also go to the dragon's lair underneath the castle.

For some great, cheap Polish food check out "Babcia Malina".

For day trips outside of Krakow I would recommend Auchwitz and the Wieliczka Salt mine (I believe it's the only underground salt mine in the world).

Oh, and the night life in old town Krakow is very fun.

I can't wait for my trip to Krakow this summer :)

Last edited:

bushka

TRIBE Member
One more thing, I would avoid taking the Night trains within Poland. My two friends were gassed and robbed during their trip, although they didn't even realize it until a day later (when they started getting flashbacks and realized their money was missing). But overall Poland is safe so just be cautious like you would be anywhere.

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
Yeah totally. Skip Warsaw if you can! Sopot! Memories. My dad won first place in a Poland Battle of the Bands there in the 80's. Sopot has this huge annual music festival but it's during the summer.

If you are gonna be driving, you can park on the sidewalk. As a pedestrian be careful. And if you are single take advantage of the beautiful Polish women without hestitation! I'm not too keen on the men though. they all have polish male pattern baldness.

I find the gypsies the worst in Warsaw. They will literally just yank your purse from your hands/torso etc. At least that's happened to me and some of my friends before. gah!

Also, if you don't eat meat, good luck!

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
miss riot said:
Łazienki Królewskie (literal translation bathrooms of the royalty) are a must see. I dont know what they call it in English, gorgeous peacocks strut their stuff in the park. Swans don the ponds. This is where Chopin
His statue also lies there. If you're interested in Chopin his heart also lies in one of the churches nearby. At least it used to and it's been transported around. My grandpa told me the story.
Pałac Myślewicki is also in there.

I forgot all about Łazienki Królewskie.. sooo beautiful! I really loved Krakow too! I need to travel again! :(

ps: i heard the same story about Chopin's heart

jus me

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the info everyone, I'll be definetely taking trains in the daytime then! :/ I'm not gonna risk it. And is it easy to buy tickets? I'm used to overscheduled swedes who buy their tickets a month in advance. :p

And is there a site on who's playing where in Poland?

And how long did you stay in each city? Usually, two days at a fast pace and I see most of the city...but it's always hard to judge based on a crappy map.

I have to fly outta Warsaw, so I'm going to spend a couple days sightseeing. But I might stay longer in Zakopane if I find it really nice there...is two days enough?

Oh, and how long is the train ride from Gdansk to Krakow?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
jus me said:
Thanks for the info everyone, I'll be definetely taking trains in the daytime then! :/ I'm not gonna risk it. And is it easy to buy tickets? I'm used to overscheduled swedes who buy their tickets a month in advance. :p

And how long did you stay in each city? Usually, two days at a fast pace and I see most of the city...but it's always hard to judge based on a crappy map.

I have to fly outta Warsaw, so I'm going to spend a couple days sightseeing. But I might stay longer in Zakopane if I find it really nice there...is two days enough?

Oh, and how long is the train ride from Gdansk to Krakow?

you'll be fine with 2 days in Zakopane as for the train ride I'm not to sure proably around 8 hours or so...

asha

TRIBE Promoter
Reading this thread is making me so excited about my trip to Poland this summer! :) I haven't been there since my family left in 1989.

jus me said:

I found this site, I think it's pretty good: http://www.soundrevolt.com/.

There is a link "Partylist."

jus me

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the site asha, will check it out.

I'm having alot of trouble finding a place to stay in Zakopane. anyone have any suggestions? in town? or in the mountains? i'm confused.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
re Zakopane, we stayed in town, I don't think you can stay in the mountains, I'll see if I can find info on where we stayed it was nice and clean and wasn't very expensive