• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Traveling and Studying in the US, no visa required.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Wifey is taking us to NYC next to complete her studies at Columbia (research, thesis, unpaid) and we're crossing the border by car - has anyone ever done this?

What do we say at the border?

From the Embassy Website.
"Canadian citizens do not require a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada for the purposes of visiting or studying."

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
*snort*

I guess you would want to make sure you have her acceptance letter or confirmation or whatever from columbia to prove that.
youre not studying tho. dont you need a visa...if youre planning on working?

derek

TRIBE Member
if she's a canadian citizen with a canadian passport a visa shouldn't be required for studies.

they may want to see enrollment forms or some proof that she's going to be studying at Columbia.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

afterglow

TRIBE Member
No visa? I think it's better to get a student visa so you get less hassles... every time i cross they ask for my I-20 immediately.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Just tell them you're planning on moving to the US indefinitely to become a musician and DJ. You should have no problem getting in. ;)

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
I'm just finishing teachers college in NY State. Yes, you do require a visa. And asking the office of international students at Columbia might make more sense than asking tribe....just sayin'

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

miguel

TRIBE Member
Wifey is taking us to NYC next to complete her studies at Columbia (research, thesis, unpaid) and we're crossing the border by car - has anyone ever done this?

What do we say at the border?

From the Embassy Website.
"Canadian citizens do require a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada for the purposes of visiting or studying."

You do not need to get a visa ahead of time but you do need to enter into the US in F-1 student status. You can get F1 status at the border with the proper documentation shown to the border person.

Check this out for Columbia..

Important Information for Canadian Students

your wife might qualify for J1 status.. not sure but you should look into that. if she does, then you as her dependent, could work in the US legally. (this is not possible with F1 status)

Important Information for Canadian Students

make sure you bring the proper documentation to the border, as long as this is the case you will not have any issues.