1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Trapeze! And other aerial acrobatics

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by r6bikerchick, Sep 30, 2010.

1. r6bikerchick

r6bikerchick TRIBE Member

Any other circus fitness freaks on Tribe?

I discovered my passion for flying trapeze in Banff, AB in 2008. Entirely by chance, I won tickets on the radio to check out the (now-defunct) Fly Banff Trapeze School.

Flying trapeze is an amazing adrenaline rush and promotes strength, coordination and flexibility. I only have access to an outdoor rig, so during the long winter months I got hooked into an indoor static trapeze class, which also teaches the art/sport of aerial silks (y'know, the curtain-like things that the climb up at Cirque de Soleil and then wrap, twist and spin around?).

Toronto School of Circus Arts

I've actually never done a class at TSCA, but it looks like the only game in town (?) in TDot?

2. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Emily Hughes actually trains people as well I believe. You can find her on facebook. She was in the Gargoyles and Goddesses thing last night for Nuit Blanche. And she's super nice; should be able to give you the completely lowdown on what is available in town.

3. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I know a lot of people from Zero Gravity Circus that do the aerial stuff, and they are in great shape.

4. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

I did the full trapeeze class, and it was awesome.

would love to go back when i have the funds

5. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Yes, this is the one at which Emily was teaching.

6. Cri

Cri TRIBE Member

I took flying trapeze at the toronto school of circus arts for 3 or 4 years! I loved it..super fun. But then they moved from their downtown location to somewhere further away from me..so I had to stop..plus it was also pricy ;) So i don't know what it is like now..
    BUt I do know the owner..Decker..he is a super great guy! :) I met him when I was a kid doing the flying trapeze camps at harbourfront!

I was sooo addicted to circus for a while! I miss it!

7. r6bikerchick

r6bikerchick TRIBE Member

Yay! I knew I couldn't be the only one. Our flying trapeze season is over for the year (outdoor facility) and the indoor classes are on hold because of rehearsals for an upcoming gymnastics/aerial acrobatics/theatre production. I miss it, but my pocketbook doesn't.

People keep asking me when I'm going to run away and join the circus - believe you me, if I was good enough, I probably would. It would be nice to improve my skills enough that I could coach so that I wouldn't have to pay for sessions. I do think that I am capable of working the board on the flying trapeze and I would like to learn to pull safety lines.

8. Cri

Cri TRIBE Member

Where was the outdoor location?
    and ya..working the board is totally easy! We had an advanced flying class in which we had to work our own board so we only had to have one instructor pulling lines..
    and we got to swing out of safety lines..super fun! Gah..so long ago!