• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

transparent .gif ?

Caz

TRIBE Member
When I chop somehting up in photoshop and try to save it as a transparent .gif and bring it into illustrator, it has this white outline all choppy and dirty. How can I avoid this?

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
it's called matting, gif transparency isn't really very good, and it will always have a choppy border to some degree.

having a higher res file will help a bit, and you can also change the matt colour so that when it sits on whatever its' supposed to it blends better.

you can bring a psd into illusrator, that has full transparancy support....as do png files but they're not supported by some browsers if you plan on leaving it a transparent png for the web

alcid

TRIBE Member
TaCk OnE? said:
you can bring a psd into illusrator, that has full transparancy support....as do png files but they're not supported by some browsers if you plan on leaving it a transparent png for the web
most browsers will display PNG files now, but IE still doesn't support their alpha transparency (which would be the whole point of using PNG)

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
no thang

I realized I didn't tell you how to change it..

if you're in the "save for web" dialog box in photoshop, in the gif options on the right you'll see a matting and once you click on that you'll get a colour field picker for rgb and cmyk and whatever....

but if you're cutting it yourself in photoshop, saving it as a gif format won't give you as good results as psd...

:)

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain