• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Transgendered man 5 months pregnant, he says

lilnick

TRIBE Member
Transgendered man 5 months pregnant, he says

Last Updated: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 | 11:19 AM ET Comments55Recommend103CBC News

A transgendered Oregon man says he is five months pregnant and expecting a baby girl.

Thomas Beatie told The Advocate, a magazine devoted to gay, bisexual and transgendered issues, that he made the choice because his wife can't have children.

Beatie, who writes he is "legally male and legally married," said his wife Nancy had a hysterectomy because of severe endometriosis.

Sterilization is not a requirement for gender reassignment, allowing him to keep his female reproductive organs, he said. Beatie did have breast reduction surgery and testosterone therapy, but stopped taking the hormone after deciding to become pregnant.

"It had been roughly eight years since I had my last menstrual cycle, so this wasn’t a decision that I took lightly," he said. "My body regulated itself after about four months, and I didn’t have to take any exogenous estrogen, progesterone, or fertility drugs to aid my pregnancy."

The couple used a sperm bank and home insemination, he wrote. His first pregnancy resulted in an ectopic pregnancy with triplets.

"It was a life-threatening event that required surgical intervention, resulting in the loss of all embryos and my right fallopian tube," he said. "When my brother found out about my loss, he said, 'It’s a good thing that happened. Who knows what kind of monster it would have been.'"

This pregnancy is free of complications and a baby girl is due on July 3, said Beatie.

The couple has only recently started to experience "opposition" from friends, family and medical professionals, Beatie said.

"Doctors have discriminated against us, turning us away due to their religious beliefs. Health-care professionals have refused to call me by a male pronoun or recognize Nancy as my wife," he said. "Receptionists have laughed at us. Friends and family have been unsupportive; most of Nancy's family doesn't even know I’m transgender."

Beatie told The Advocate most people in his community don't know he is pregnant.

"But our situation ultimately will ask everyone to embrace the gamut of human possibility and to define for themselves what is normal," he wrote.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/03/26/transgender-pregnant.html?ref=rss

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

erikwh

TRIBE Member
MV5BMTI0MjI2MjAyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTI0ODU3._V1._SY400_SX600_.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
make up your mind

He hasn't decided to 'change back'... He's carrying their child because his wife CAN'T.

He kept his reproductive organs when he made the transformation, as is his legal right in the state where he lives. He had to stop taking his meds to get/stay pregnant, and now they're saying that he might not be eligible for maternity leave (designed for the physical recuperation after childbirth, as opposed to parental leave which is more meant for bonding and early years parenting) despite the fact that his body will be undergoing the trauma of childbirth.

And - to make matters worse - if they decide that he IS eligible for maternity leave, it may result in his legal status as a man being reversed - something he, I'm sure, worked very long and went through a great deal of hardship to gain.

The world is not a black and white place.

zoo

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
The world is not a black and white place.

Sure it is.

Woman = Babies
Man = No Babies

Here we have a woman that wants to be a man by having babies. She's the one not picking sides!

k-grant

TRIBE Member
I think that what this couple is doing is brave and wonderful and it's a shame they have to deal with narrow minded people and systems that are stuck in outmoded, essentialist understandings of gender.

Good luck to them!

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
this is stupid. she never became a man. according to the article, she just got her boobs chopped off and then pumped up on testosterone. scientifically, she is just a messed-up manly woman, so who cares if she has a kid?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:
this is stupid. she never became a man. according to the article, she just got her boobs chopped off and then pumped up on testosterone. scientifically, she is just a messed-up manly woman, so who cares if she has a kid?
Darwin ?

The Kid

TRIBE Member
I like to think of myself as pretty open minded but this is just FUCKED. My worry would be the health and safety of the unborn which is developing in a body pumped full of testosterone, and doesn't the fact that there were previous complications increase the changes of abnormal birth down the road?

*shakes head*

WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TOO? OSAMA, WHERE YOU AT HOMEY?!

k-grant

TRIBE Member
Based on the some of the posts i'm reading, it sounds like a lot of people just don't understand what transsexuality/transgender is and are locked into really essentialist understandings of gender. Gender isn't just about biology, it's about identity. I know lots of transsexual men and women in toronto and these people aren't freaks and deserve to be treated with respect.

This website might provide some useful information.

http://www.themenace.net/

The Kid: the osama comment was deeply disturbing.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
hahahaha...k-grant i'll give you a little (free) peice of advice... *this* is the "internet" - i suggest you don't take it to seriously, use it as a referene for academic papers or seek legal advice on *it*

peace!

el kidskii

Karim

TRIBE Member
k-grant said:
I think that what this couple is doing is brave and wonderful and it's a shame they have to deal with narrow minded people and systems that are stuck in outmoded, essentialist understandings of gender.

Good luck to them!

Are you kidding me? Although this person gave up the hormone therapy and what not, the chemical imbalance from previous hormone therapies could have a negative affect on the health of the child.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Lots of things are bad for the health of fetuses, like being old (father or mother) or doing drugs (especially drinking and smoking) but I don't think old people or drug users or other unhealthy parents putting their fetus at risk would be denied treatment and experience as much hostility.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I find it interesting that most of the women are ok with this and most of the guys are, "That is wrong."

I think it's a pretty damn brave thing to do. Agree with rubytuesday and that was a very good argument considering the forum.