• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Transferring itunes from your PC to Mac?

swizzykrissy

TRIBE Member
Ok, someone here must be able to help me.

I've had my itunes for the last 2 years on my PC. I just bought the new Macbook Pro, and would like to transfer my playlists from my PC to my Mac.

How do I go about this? And I'm new to Mac, so explain in detail please! :D

Thanks!

also, when I got my ipod I formatted it for my PC, do I have to undo this?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
moved in 3.... 2..... 1......

check the geek forum

you have to reformat your IPOD

cant help you with your playlist prob though

[jai]

beaker

TRIBE Member
hey krissy,

there's a couple of ways:

a) you could network your computers and move all your files over the network. it would take a long time but if you got up and left it for an afternoon, it would be the easiest and probably cheapest option

b) you could burn all your stuff to dvd-r or cd-r. it may be time consuming if you have a lot of stuff. but this is probably the easiest unless you have a resident networking wizard to set up option a).

c) you could buy an external hard drive and format it as a FAT32 partition, which is readable by both mac and pc. this would cost you a few hundred for the drive.

and yeah you need to reformat your ipod and can only use it with one or the other.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
beaker said:
hey krissy,

there's a couple of ways:

a) you could network your computers and move all your files over the network. it would take a long time but if you got up and left it for an afternoon, it would be the easiest and probably cheapest option

b) you could burn all your stuff to dvd-r or cd-r. it may be time consuming if you have a lot of stuff. but this is probably the easiest unless you have a resident networking wizard to set up option a).

c) you could buy an external hard drive and format it as a FAT32 partition, which is readable by both mac and pc. this would cost you a few hundred for the drive.

and yeah you need to reformat your ipod and can only use it with one or the other.

thats only transferring the actual files, that doesnt answer the playlist problem.

once the files are over there, they will show up the same in folders, but unless you save the actual playlist info so that its cross platform and itunes will read it, then you might just have to create the playlists all over again

[jai]

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
if you have a relatively large ipod (4-6 gigs), you can download sharepod (just google it and it's the first hit returned) and just make a couple of transfers depending on how much music you have.

you have to download the sharepod.exe file in the root of your ipod directory. sharepod allows you to transfer music from your PC to yoru ipod and from your ipod to your PC.

there's a file (on the same page as the download)... some .OCX file or something like that. you gotta download that right in your system32 folder on your PC before you can get sharepod working.

Anakin

TRIBE Member
I don't know how technically ambitious you are but...

- In iTunes windows, export your library to an XML file
- Copy all your songs, maintaining their paths, to your new macbook pro under your Music directory
- Edit the XML file, replacing the base path for your songs to the new one on your Mac.. example replace insances of c:\documents and settings\joe\my documents\my music with /User/joe/Music
- Import the XML file into iTunes on your MacBook, File -> Import.

That will work. If you don't have that many playlists I'd suggest just redoing them.