• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Transfering itunes files to a new laptop

--lemma--

TRIBE Member
How the hell do I go about doing this? I'm getting rid of my current laptop before I get my new one, and I have no idea what to do in the meantime to store the files, and then transfer them. I don't want to have to spend $$ on an external hard drive, there has to be an easier way. Any suggestions?
 

Anakin

TRIBE Member
Buy a network crossover cable, you can get one at your local computer shop. And plug it into the network jacks connecting the laptops.

Then use the Files and Settings transfer wizard. You can find it under Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools

The wizard should walk you through transfering all your stuff.

I'm assuming you're using XP.
 

dig this

TRIBE Member
or just use your ipod as an external hardrive... you may have to delete the mp3's on your ipod first to free up some space, then just put the files from your music folder onto your ipod.
 

--lemma--

TRIBE Member
dig this said:
or just use your ipod as an external hardrive... you may have to delete the mp3's on your ipod first to free up some space, then just put the files from your music folder onto your ipod.

This actually works? Seems so easy....do you have to do anything special or just save to E Drive and go from there? I'm such a loser when it comes to anything even remotely techy.
 

Anakin

TRIBE Member
--lemma-- said:
This actually works? Seems so easy....do you have to do anything special or just save to E Drive and go from there? I'm such a loser when it comes to anything even remotely techy.

This will get your music over, but it won't transfer your iTunes database.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

--lemma--

TRIBE Member
Anakin said:
This will get your music over, but it won't transfer your iTunes database.

Meaning that I still have to reinstall my itunes software, but that once that's done and I transfer my music files into that program I'm good to go?
 

dig this

TRIBE Member
--lemma-- said:
This actually works? Seems so easy....do you have to do anything special or just save to E Drive and go from there? I'm such a loser when it comes to anything even remotely techy.

sure does..

just make sure that you trasfer the files over i.e. not through itunes, but wherever your files are stored on your computer. Your ipod is an external hardrive, it just has the capability to play music as well.
 
Top