• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Traktor VS. Serato VS. CDJs

why not

TRIBE Member
Destro Sanchez said:
Ha!

Trolls.

I fuckin love em.

What's the name that you DJ or produce under?

Lead me to your myspace or your top ten on Beatport, I'm intrigued.

Lets hear your wickedawesome grandmaster techniques! Break me down with your amens rudebwoy!

HA!

DesTrolls
http://www.myspace.com/chilibanksmusic

amens galore!

while the style is about as dated as his opinions on digital DJing, i actually like this kind of old school 'intelligent' dnb.
some good choppage and fucked up beats, and i like a lot of the basslines and melodies.
the spoken word vocal samples should have been left back in 1995 where they belong, and i think he should mix more synthesis in there instead of relying so much on samples (especially obvious breaks), but it got me chair dancing.

if i was his mentor, i would instruct him to try to make a track using only samples he generated. use microphones, softsynths, drum machines, whatever, but no records.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
i've been using traktor for the past 2+ years and i really enjoy it, for your application it's perfect. To me I find so many people get hung up on the media source just like in this thread, personally who cares where the sound comes from as long as it's clean. to me make sure you have good components ie sound card and mixer, as long as the pc,cdj,serato etc feel comfortable to you then who really cares.

I'm dealing with all the same questions right now and here's what i have laid out since i want everything to be portable but easy set-up/tear down

MBP 2.2ghz
presonus firebox external sound card
still deciding on a mixer i may try out the m-audio xsession but i'd love something not so plasticy.
combine this with beatport and you're golden.

you'd be able to play in your BR, friends house or international stage at the drop of a hat. People that hate on you for not using Vinyl likley already have alot invested into that 20+ year technology and are afraid of change.

I've never heard someone say a dj set sucks because it was all on cd's/mp3. if you're a good dj and love djing you'll be fine.

P.S. don't listen to unique1200, he has no idea. let him stick to questions about wax, but he really isn't an authority on new media.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
For Destro.

1. I have 3 times as many posts as you do.
2. I've been a member of Tribe since the start of this board. So I fail to see how I'm a troll.
3. My Myspace is readily available. Try checking threads where producers post their tracks on here.
4. Or you could always come to one of the next 2 events I'm throwing. Check the upcoming events thread Nov.10, and Nov.24.
5. I have the ability to formulate my own educated opinions.
6. I've been into electronic music for a long time son, and I also have the ability to google. I wouldn't ask lame pointless questions on a board hoping to win blowjobs from adoring fanboy's; whos egos I wished to stroke, the way you do.

7. So as far as your original question goes, which I'm qualified to answer having used all 3. Serato over Traktor for. & Serato and Traktor over CDJ for authentic feel. You're obviously not very smart so I think that having more then a start and stop button on a cdj would confuse you. Seeing as you are barely intelligent enough to turn on your computer by your own admission. Or smart enough to read, seeing I have 3 times the posts you do, and have been a member for far longer then you have (2000 was only the date of the boards switch over to it's more current form).
8. As for Amen chopping grandmaster techniques I'm sure you'll find that "Information War" & "Cold Blooded Murderer" (on my myspace) will show you the skills you so desperately wish you had. Feel free to post a review in the thread that asks producers to review 2 tracks and post their own.
9. We're all glad you don't play in clubs. K Thx bye.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
As for 24 vs. 16 bit, audio or analog vs. digital I fail to see how any of this falls in line with anything pondered in the original post? Perhaps vaguely when comparing Serato to Traktor, but this guy is computer illiterate. You think he can tell the dif between 24 and 16??? Is this relevant for home use? He's obviously playing other peoples material so I'm highly doubting he has a ton of 24 bit audio to be rocking on Traktor. Also since you guys are talking shit here, let me just point out that 24 bit recording is not new tech. It's mainstream and has been around for as long as I can recall. I bought my first sound card almost 9 years ago now and it was 24 bit capable. So *yawn* excuse me while I walk away from this boring discussion.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
why not said:
http://www.myspace.com/chilibanksmusic

while the style is about as dated as his opinions on digital DJing, i actually like this kind of old school 'intelligent' dnb.
some good choppage and fucked up beats, and i like a lot of the basslines and melodies.
the spoken word vocal samples should have been left back in 1995 where they belong, and i think he should mix more synthesis in there instead of relying so much on samples (especially obvious breaks), but it got me chair dancing.

if i was his mentor, i would instruct him to try to make a track using only samples he generated. use microphones, softsynths, drum machines, whatever, but no records.
I wouldn't consider this style dated it's just jungle (many labels still put out this style, Planet Mu, Brain, Commercial Suicide etc etc etc). This is the style that has been around from the day 1, through the 2 step years, and still around while clown step is king. This is what I consider "Jungle" to be. I suppose if my site had over processed synthy basslined tunes I'd be getting flack about how I'm a big trend follower etc. As far as vocal sampling goes. It still and always will be incredibly relevant in electronic music, and over the years has gained wide spread recognition through out other musical genres. Umm I don't know what more to say about that, except I make tunes the way I like, and I like samples. I digress because opinions are like assholes everyones got 1. As far as using soft synths I do, not always, and by what's on my myspace at the current moment it's probably not reflected heavily. Drum machines etc are cool, I don't sample drum loops from records very often. I do have an exstensive collection of drum breaks however. I like using sampled drums as a preference, but not as a rule. I've created a lot of breaks I use. I don't often not fuck with the breaks and just leave them. Unless the intent is to reference the source material of the previously mentioned break.

P.S. Thanks for checking out the tunes.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

why not

TRIBE Member
unique2100 said:
I wouldn't consider this style dated it's just jungle (many labels still put out this style, Planet Mu, Brain, Commercial Suicide etc etc etc). This is the style that has been around from the day 1, through the 2 step years, and still around while clown step is king. This is what I consider "Jungle" to be. I suppose if my site had over processed synthy basslined tunes I'd be getting flack about how I'm a big trend follower etc. As far as vocal sampling goes. It still and always will be incredibly relevant in electronic music, and over the years has gained wide spread recognition through out other musical genres. Umm I don't know what more to say about that, except I make tunes the way I like, and I like samples. I digress because opinions are like assholes everyones got 1. As far as using soft synths I do, not always, and by what's on my myspace at the current moment it's probably not reflected heavily. Drum machines etc are cool, I don't sample drum loops from records very often. I do have an exstensive collection of drum breaks however. I like using sampled drums as a preference, but not as a rule. I've created a lot of breaks I use. I don't often not fuck with the breaks and just leave them. Unless the intent is to reference the source material of the previously mentioned break.

P.S. Thanks for checking out the tunes.

don't take my comments the wrong way - i liked your tracks, and i like that style much more than most contemporary dnb trends. the quips about it being dated was just teasing, although i think we can both agree that this style was much easier to find around a decade ago.
i think we'd also both agree that's unfortunate.
i don't think nostalgia is the worse thing in the world - hell i'm still trying to recreate sounds from house music that i first heard in the late 80s, so i'm hardly in any position to criticise someone for retro tendencies.

Borzoo

TRIBE Member
serato still remains more popular cuz it was more reliable and had a simpler interface however the new traktor is gaining popularity especialy among minimalists who often overlay different layers using more than 2 decks and traktors' 4 deck feature enables them to do that.. also the ability to sync external midi signals makes it the better choice for artists who combine live PAs with DJ sets such as spiritcatchers..etc..
there are other alternatives out there too which are cheaper and get the job done especially for bedroom like torque and VDJ... I perosnally don't like torque since I still play real vinyl too and the sound from the actual that goes through the torque box and then the line inputs instead of phono sounds aweful.. VDJ is ok but you need to have a decent soundcard and timecoded vinyl or a midi controller at least to get a decent result..
CDJs they are easiest they're fun they are expensive!!! but they are the standard so no matter where you go you're most likely to end up using them. but they are not the best solution for your bedroom simply cuz they are the most expensive of the pack but if you got the cash why not.. I've used them for years and they are fun but I'm just too lazy to burn CDs and I take my laptop to my gigs anyways so having two digital source doesn't make much sense to me...
but at the end of the day it's what you're most comfortable using these are just tools and they are not gonna make you a better or worse DJ it's how you use them and make the best out of em..

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Ohh I didn't think you were overly critical. I was just providing a counter point back, mainly about sampling. I am passionate about sampling. Maybe due to my visual arts background. I'm a big fan of re-contextualization.

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
unique2100 said:
For Destro.

1. I have 3 times as many posts as you do.
2. I've been a member of Tribe since the start of this board. So I fail to see how I'm a troll.
3. My Myspace is readily available. Try checking threads where producers post their tracks on here.
4. Or you could always come to one of the next 2 events I'm throwing. Check the upcoming events thread Nov.10, and Nov.24.
5. I have the ability to formulate my own educated opinions.
6. I've been into electronic music for a long time son, and I also have the ability to google. I wouldn't ask lame pointless questions on a board hoping to win blowjobs from adoring fanboy's; whos egos I wished to stroke, the way you do.

7. So as far as your original question goes, which I'm qualified to answer having used all 3. Serato over Traktor for. & Serato and Traktor over CDJ for authentic feel. You're obviously not very smart so I think that having more then a start and stop button on a cdj would confuse you. Seeing as you are barely intelligent enough to turn on your computer by your own admission. Or smart enough to read, seeing I have 3 times the posts you do, and have been a member for far longer then you have (2000 was only the date of the boards switch over to it's more current form).
8. As for Amen chopping grandmaster techniques I'm sure you'll find that "Information War" & "Cold Blooded Murderer" (on my myspace) will show you the skills you so desperately wish you had. Feel free to post a review in the thread that asks producers to review 2 tracks and post their own.
9. We're all glad you don't play in clubs. K Thx bye.
1/ so? point? you spend a lot of time online. congrats.

2/ I call em as I see em. Thread by thread.

3/ right after this, I'll check em.

4/ Chelsea Room? Whats that hold? 15 people? No thanks.

5/ So calling my record collecting choices 'gay' and 'supergay' are educated opinions?

6/ I asked for peoples opinions on the 3 formats, not for free BJs

7/ "Serato over Traktor for." for what? expand please. I thought you said you know how to read, surely you know how to write? (See below)
"Or smart enough to read, seeing I have 3 times the posts you do, and have been a member for far longer then you have (2000 was only the date of the boards switch over to it's more current form)."
I can't read as well as you because I don't post all the time? or for as long as you have?

8/ If I had producing skills, I wouldn't waste them on whatever it is you 'create'.

9/ I know, that's what everyone says. Who wants to hear dance music from the 70s and 80s anymore, reallynow?

Destro

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
unique2100 said:
I don't know what this means.:confused: But in order for serato to use 3 decks, there would have to be a 3 deck Serato hardware unit built.
Sorry, I was addressing the whole setting up while another DJ is playing...
they are working on an install unit that is rackmountable and can connect up to two laptops at once.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bull Go Ki

TRIBE Member
Serato on Vista

Hey Guys,

Im finally going to get serato - quick question:

Are there any issues running it off of vista? I've heard there are some issues and was going to install XP if that was the case.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
^ make sure you go to www.scratchlive.net and download the latest released version (1.7.4) to ensure best compatability with vista.

From a stability issue... Serato hands down. maybe not from a feature issue, but at least serato won't make you pay for upgrades which still include legacy bugs from previous iterations of the software (final scratch/N.I.)

Bull Go Ki

TRIBE Member
dj_soo said:
^ make sure you go to www.scratchlive.net and download the latest released version (1.7.4) to ensure best compatability with vista.

From a stability issue... Serato hands down. maybe not from a feature issue, but at least serato won't make you pay for upgrades which still include legacy bugs from previous iterations of the software (final scratch/N.I.)

thanks for the tip! now i just have to decide on whether to go for ttm57 or just serato???:(

Stoopid

TRIBE Member
don't post here often (perhaps I'm a troll, you guys can stop arguing ;)), but thought i'd chime in on the serato vs. traktor scratch discussion (i have both).

I have used serato for about 3 years now, and still love it. i've replaced the vinyl a couple times, but otherwise it's good. I've also had a couple bad mp3's that have caused it to crash.

As for traktor scratch, the software interface turned me off. the hardware interface itself is great and I still use it as a soundcard. I found the software to be too cluttered. Perhaps some more getting used to it would change my mind, but for the time being i still think serato > traktor scratch.

-brad.

Last edited:

Suite 909

TRIBE Member
you dorks with your stupid computer lap top and your visual beatmatching..

BE A MAN - USE CD's and learn how to mix...

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Bull Go Ki said:
thanks for the tip! now i just have to decide on whether to go for ttm57 or just serato???:(
Depends on how willing you are to cart your mixer around to gigs. There are a ton of great features that you will only get on the 57 including (but not limited to):

- ability to record sets directly in the program
- hot keys/buttons/ software control directly from the mixer
- built-in fx (pretty basic right now)
- access to Serato's upcoming video mixing add-on (it will be a paid add-on tho)

plus you get arguably the best designed and constructed scratch/battle mixer on the market...

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Suite 909 said:

lol with it's convenient pitch bend feature that allows you to fingerfuck your mixes with out repercussion?

REMI XO

TRIBE Member
Bull Go Ki said:
I own one ....

I love it. So much so that if I had a gig I WOULD lug my mixer with me.

You should buy one.

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
Suite 909 said:

am I still a man if I close my eyes when using serato? or does manliness demand that I have a bunch of cds strewn across my apartment?
by the way, you're a moron.

possibledj

TRIBE Promoter
lol... i remember you suite 909! you're the guy who was complaining that some DJ didn't know how to spin because he was using a laptop for live PA! Keep 'em coming pal!

Suite 909

TRIBE Member
possibledj said:
lol... i remember you suite 909! you're the guy who was complaining that some DJ didn't know how to spin because he was using a laptop for live PA! Keep 'em coming pal!
yep thats me, and I stick to my guns.

Suite 909

TRIBE Member
Do you see any of the big boys using serato and laptops and all that crap? I cant think of too many big name house dj's that do..

Borzoo

TRIBE Member
Suite 909 said:
Do you see any of the big boys using serato and laptops and all that crap? I cant think of too many big name house dj's that do..
maybe you should go out more often...when was the last time you saw them big boys? 2002?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders