1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Traktor Users what laptop are you running?

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by catilyst, Apr 27, 2014.

1. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

So I grabbed an S4 and my old laptop can't quite handle it (drops audio, freezes, clicks etc). I have done a fair bit of tweaking it and it's gone from unbearable to a few clicks per hour set and the occasional freeze.

Time for something new I think.

For those using Traktor or similar programs with out issue, what are you running it on?

I'm open to all suggestions - pc or mac note books, will consider a new desktop as I don't need this set up to be mobile, or a desktop media centre etc etc.

Just curious what others out there are happy with.

thanks!

2. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

any modern mac will run traktor with no issues. tons of guys i know are gigging on 13" macbook airs. the size/weight combo is awesome for travelling as long as you don't mind the tight 13" 1440x990 screen.

3. Taro

Taro TRIBE Member

I"m running a 13" mac book pro - the upper end version - but I do a lot production, that's why I bought more ram and cpu power - latest mac book air should do you fine

4. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

Most of the guys i see perform in Berlin are using Macs, but last weekend i was in Holland and literally every laptop was a PC, so it can be done. I used to use an Alienware M13x and it was perfect. Next was my Acer S7 which totally blitzed it. Both ran Windows 8. Most important thing is fast HDD (i would recommend an SSD), then a decent CPU (which nowadays most everything will be). If you're having trouble just make sure you turn off any background services that are CPU or disk heavy (virus scan and search/indexing service are the main killers). Also make sure your virtual memory isn't dynamic (or if you have 64-bit machine, used at all). The one downside of PC is you have to rely on NI/Serato drivers instead of Core Audio to handle low latency, which sucks a bit, but i've got friends with 5 year laptops that aren't a problem, so i think it largely has to do with how it's tuned.

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

macbook pro, I've watched other friends of mine spend a large chunk of time just trying to get set up on PC's and fiddling with cables.

I dont think I'd ever use a PC for Traktor, not saying it doesn't work it's just too time consuming and unreliable

6. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

That's what I run and it is quick and smooth.

I used to gig with a 2007 White MacBook using the S4 and it was a bit slow when analyzing but never skipped a beat. It's hard to argue with the stability and durability of Macs for this type of use. I use a PC everyday, but every time I see someone gig with one, I can't help but cringe and expect issues.

7. Blue Meanies

Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

Speaking of Traktor... I have been using ableton live with a firewire card and midi controller for performing but I am now looking at upgrading to something that is all in one. Is the S2 and S4 the best of the best? I want a no hassle plug and play setup. How good is the internal card in the S series?

8. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I wouldn't consider the S4 or S2 for any application other than Traktor.

9. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

Wow what a sheepish uneducated response. Traktor works fine on pc no extra cables required lol.

10. Blue Meanies

Blue Meanies TRIBE Member

No I would use traktor as my software, not ableton. Just wondering how great it really is. I am a traktor virgin. :)

11. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

I went through two PCs trying to get Traktor running smoothly. Trust me, I'm the last guy who's gonna lick Apple's sack (I absolutely hate their business model,) but after the second PC was dropping audio no matter WHAT I did (I virtually cannibalized the whole system just to dedicate it to Traktor) I gave up and went with a Macbook Pro just a few months ago.

While I still don't love Apple for a few reasons, I do love the fact that I haven't had a single sound drop out. It has crashed twice on me while using Traktor though, once during a live event. Yes, Macs do crash...

(but it does kick ass at running PS CC.)

I did consider Alienware, but I didn't want to risk PC a third time... plus those Alienware laptops are massive.

12. unique2100

User error.

13. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Yes, given the wealth of detail I've given you that can be the only possible reason.

14. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

uneducated? really? I've seen it on more than one occasion and for the record I never said you needed extra cables. Calling me uneducated because I provide REAL life examples is stupidity, just say you disagree and move on.

I started using Traktor in Year 1 it was released and the first few years on a PC, I've used it at gigs and at home and for the past 5 years on a Mac. I have a bit of an idea what I'm talking about and there is a reason the majority of Traktor users SWEAR by Mac's. I've never hear that from a PC user that it works better than on a mac, you know why ???

15. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

yeah thats it, PC's never have compatablilty issues.

seriously though are you a DJ?
    do you even have a clue or do you just disagree because.

16. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Yes, you will get latency issues and freezing if your computer is not up to snuff.

I'm running a 15" Macbook Pro - quad Core i7, 2.0 ghz, 16 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM with a 750 GB HD @ 7200 RPM.

I love my machine..

17. unique2100

" I've never hear that from a PC user that it works better than on a mac, you know why ???"

Generally people who buy PC's know that their is no difference. It's the Mac fan boys that argue to death everything Mac is better.

If you can't get it working on 2 different PC's but it works on a Mac then obviously you're doing it wrong. Personally I've never had a problem setting up Traktor or Scratch on an Alienware a Macbook or the same Macbook running bootcamp.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  18. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Did you skip the part where I said I was definitely not a Mac fanboy?

The bottom line is, Traktor runs up against all kinds of issues with PC laptops. A simple google search will show you that - not to mention my personal experience with using PCs running Traktor for 4 years.

The simple fact of the matter is that almost all of these problems were eliminated when I moved to Mac. Do I love it? No. Is it true? Yes.

If you have one of the magical pc laptops that works perfectly with Traktor that's awesome for you, I wish I had your apparent abilities. But I don't see how you can patently disagree with people or just tell them they're wrong when they're speaking from actual experience. The second PC I went out and bought had specs that I gauged SPECIFICALLY for Traktor. It just didn't work as well as it could have.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  19. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

I have no issues with folks who wanna use a PC or Mac for Traktor. If you have the processing speed and the ram....you should be fine. I like to be above the minimum requirements which is:

Windows 7 or 8 (latest Service Pack, 32/64 Bit), 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)

Mac OS X 10.7 or 10.8 (latest update), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)

General: Monitor with 1024 x 768 screen resolution, USB 2.0, 1 GB free disc space, high-speed internet required.

Traktor : DJ Software : Traktor Pro 2 : Specifications | Products

I chose a mac because it is what I see the pros DJs that I like, use.

20. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

There's more than just compatibility, you also have to consider what is the standard and the reality is with Traktor the standard laptop preference amongst users is Mac.

A Zune is just the same as an Ipod, right?:eek:

21. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Glad you like your machine, but you don't need nearly that power to run Traktor. I'm on a MacBook Air with 4GB of RAM and an SSD and can play an 8 hour set without even having to connect power. Never had an issue with latency, freezing and analyzing is lightening fast. The SSD certainly helps in that regard.

22. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

SSD is ridiculously good. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back.

23. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Absolutely! I know I don't need that power, that's why I posted the specs from the Traktor website. I'm obviously over and above.

I also have the full big dollar version of Ableton..... and don't know how to use it yet... but I wanted "the power" to have headroom just in case I run both programs at the same time.

24. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I bought a cheap Acer i5 small desktop at best buy for like 329 bucks, upped the ram to 8 gig. It came with a 1 terabyte drive. That works fine, however I did have issues with a Traktor version upgrade before Christmas that rendered the software almost unusable. I recently upgraded the version and it now works fine.

I use timecode vinyl, timecode CDs on ancient CDJs, and an X1 controller.