• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Traktor users, I could use a hand...

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I love Traktor and I've been using it for years now, but admittedly I've been dogged with technical problems from early on.

Long story short, I just bought a new Macbook Pro because I'd been told for years my biggest problem was that I was using a PC notebook, so I figured I'd just go for the magic touch and take away all of the guesswork I'd been dealing with.

But I haven't been able to shake the problems.

I'm using a new Macbook Pro Retina 15" and a Traktor Audio 2 sound card that goes out to an external mixer. The problem is that I'm getting crackles on the output from the Traktor Audio 2.

I had almost the same issues when I was on PC, so I'm very familiar with all of the documented trouble shooting. I've run down the trouble shooting list with the Mac, but can't lose the crackles. It's driving me insane.

I've playing at a big event tomorrow and I don't want to deal with these crackles. I have a plan B, but I'd really rather not use the CDJs unless I really have to. I haven't used them for a while now and I'd rather not use this event to get reacquainted.

Does anyone here have any experience with crackles in Traktor and how to get rid of them?

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

kyfe

TRIBE Member
"Crackles" as you describe them are usually related to your audio cables or the connections on your traktor sound card. You may need new cables or servicing of your sound card, if there is a loose connection in the input /output RCA's it will cause crackles.

If what you're describing are not actually crackles but rather imperfections in the transfer of sound then I'd suggest you play with the settings in traktor for latency.

One last question are you using a legit paid copy of Traktor or a cracked copy?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Legit. It's too cheap not to go legit!

I've replaced all cables and checked all connections. It really all comes back to the Audio 2.

The latency settings I've played around with, it makes no difference. Besides, this computer's a beast.

I've got a Kontroller 2 coming in the mail but just not in time. I'm assuming once I get that all problems will be taken care of.

In the mean time, my only solution might be to just use the onboard sound card, and mix it raw without monitoring and hope I know my tracks well enough. The good thing is it's a scotch tasting party, not a listening party.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
First change your output in Traktor to your headphone jack and see if you're still getting crackles. If you do there's a problem with your sound files. I'm 99% sure this won't be the problem though.

Do you get crackling on both outputs from the card? If it's only one output then I'd say it's 100% the card. If it's both it could be the card or...

Track down someone who can lend you their NI card and test it to see if you still get crackling. If you do I'd say it's problem with your cables.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Oh and ... very stupid question but I'll check. Are you sure you have the right drivers? There was a problem with the new MacBook Pro Retinas and NI sound cards when the computer was first released. That problem has been fixed now but it's worth doing some research on the matter.

Also there's the: Audio 2 DJ, Traktor Audio 2 and the Traktor Audio 2 MK2 ... different drivers for each.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
First change your output in Traktor to your headphone jack and see if you're still getting crackles. If you do there's a problem with your sound files. I'm 99% sure this won't be the problem though.

Defo start with this. Get the sound card out of the mix entirely.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Thanks guys.

I've tried those things. The headphones got the crackles too. Unfortunately as far as I know, I'm the only guy in Ulaanbaatar with one of these so I can't check another card.

It's an interesting point about the drivers though. I updated my driver yesterday whilst troubleshooting, but I'm going to go back now and double check that again since you've mentioned the different drivers.

Last edited:

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Thanks guys.

I've tried those things. The headphones got the crackles too. Unfortunately as far as I know, I'm the only guy in Ulaanbaatar with one of these so I can't check another card.

It's an interesting point about the drivers though. I updated my driver yesterday whilst troubleshooting, but I'm going to go back now and double check that again since you've mentioned the different drivers.

So you get crackling from your on board Mac sound card? Do you get crackling if you play your music using just iTunes?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
No crackling from the Mac.

I just finished. Used no headphones, straight 1/4 out to system. Mixing wasn't terribly exciting but it got the job done. Hopefully this never happens again once the new gear arrives.