• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Trains or planes?

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
I might be shipping off to Quebec next month for Reading week.

Does anyone know which is cheaper?
Via Rail or some budget airline?

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
I took a train to Quecbec city with my boyfriend when I was 18. All i remember is that it took a really, really long time to get there. I think it cost us like 100- 150 bucks or something. Planes would be better IMO.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Yeah, i know the train takes about 4hours, and a plane is about 1hour.
I'm not overly concerned with time taken.
Just price.

Mingster: but trains are pretty loud and they have big horns!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Not sure about the cost of the train, but I know that a roundtrip even on a discount airline will run you over $200 once you include taxes. My guess is that the train is probably a little over $100 for a round trip.

Cheers ... Ian :)

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
If you took the train, you'd be on there for a really long time... Quebec City is what, a 3 hour drive from Montreal? Tack that on to the 7-ish drive to Montreal (I'm guessing... I've never actually driven to Montreal from Toronto, only from Ottawa). You'd be looking at at LEAST a 8-ish hour train trip to Quebec City (again, I'm guessing).

The train's gotten pretty expensive... though if you have a student card, you might get a better price, I don't know (I haven't been a student for a good 3 years or so). All I know is train and plane from Toronto to Ottawa are very close in price.

My suggestion would be that you check their websites... Bear in mind that airlines are going to hit you with all sorts of fees, so the price they have listed for a destination isn't even CLOSE to what you'd actually end up paying.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
Yeah, i know the train takes about 4hours, and a plane is about 1hour.
4 hours??? WTF? That's how long it takes it to get to Ottawa... and Quebec City is a lot farther.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
I did a quick search on the Via site, and you're looking at a 8 hour + trip (one of them was even 12 hours!), with one stopover in Montreal, and your return trip would cost in the neighbourhood of $200.

Check out www.viarail.ca

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Please ignore my original post in this thread (although many probably already did ;)). I thought we were talking about Toronto to Montreal.

Cheers ... Ian :)

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
Is that for a student fare?

If it is, normal fare would be like 300.
No, that was best fare (adult). Those tickets do sell out eventually, though, and regular economy fare is a lot more. I didn't even see a listing for student fare.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
BTW, I looked on both the Jetsgo and the Tango sites, and neither of them seems to have Quebec City listed as an available destination. (Maybe I'm just not seeing it?)

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Silvershadow
*blink* *blink*
Remind me never to get in a car with you, if we ever meet. ;)
It's regularly a 5 hour drive... not 7.... so I wasn't going THAT fast.... just prety fast... and we left at midnight on a Thursday so the highways were empty.... and I had a radar detector.

now will you drive with me?

Bumbaclat

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bumbaclat
I've done it in 3.5 hours.

Bumbaclat
I've done it in 3 (not including a fuel stop), back when I was younger and feeling more invincible. Kinda crazy now that I think about it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
I've done it in 3 (not including a fuel stop), back when I was younger and feeling more invincible. Kinda crazy now that I think about it.
mine did include a fuel stop.. :p...... it was a quick one though.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
It's regularly a 5 hour drive... not 7.... so I wasn't going THAT fast.... just prety fast... and we left at midnight on a Thursday so the highways were empty.... and I had a radar detector.

now will you drive with me?
5? Really? That's how long it takes me to get to Ottawa, so I thought it would be longer... mind you, I'm a granny driver who likes to drive about 115-120 or so. :D

So I SUPPOSE I could drive with you. ;)

Balzz

TRIBE Member
mine did include a fuel stop.. :p...... it was a quick one though.
Mine was about a half hour one...decided to stop for lunch while I was already there. Would've been nice to make it there on one tank of gas, but a tank of fuel doesn't last very long at 180-200kmh. :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders