• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Train travel to the Maritimes

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I'm going to Newfoundland this summer and am debating a direct flight with Scare Canada vs. a train trip to Nova Scotia then the ferry to Argentia.

The flight would take about 5 hours and the land/ocean trip would take approx. 40 hours.

The land/ocean trip would be rough (no sleeper), train, then bus, then 12 hour ferry, then bus again. But I would do it for the journey itself.

Anyone done this route? Any suggestions?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
There's also the Sydney-Port aux Basques ferry route which is significantly less at 5 hours... but then I'm way the hell on the other side of NFLD from where I have to be.

I think I would have to hitchhike the whole way if I did that.

zee

TRIBE Member
the entire land/ocean trip is 40 hrs? how long would the train ride be?

i haven't taken that particular route but i've taken a 2 and 1/2 day train ride with Via Rail before (no sleeper car either) .. it was hell on earth

Casey

TRIBE Member
I did the train thing once and I enjoyed it. I was pretty excited about the whole trip though, which can make just about anything fun.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
well 40 hours is a conservative guess. I'm not counting layovers etc. which always suck. I was checking the ferry schedule and I would have at least a 12 hour layover in Sydney.

Yeah, of course it would be hell. That's why I'd do it.

I took the bus once from Vancouver to Toronto when I was 17. With a few hours stop in Winnipeg. Took me almost 4 days - no shower, no sleep. Now I wouldn't do that again, but this? Now hey. If it was anywhere else but the Maritimes I probably wouldn't, but it being the Maritimes, any crazy thing can happen.

Still not 100% though. Knowing me it would take over a week to get out there.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
Boss- I have taken the train from TO to Jasper four or five times and can't say enough good things about it. It isn't for everyone, but you are a writer so I think that you would enjoy the people and time spent. Plus there is a lot more room than on a bus.

I have hitched from Halifax to North Sydney and taken the ferry to Port-Aux-Basques. The ride to Sydney will probably take about a day, I left early in the morning and made the night ferry which was great. I can't say enough about Newfies either, they are the kindest, most generous, friendliest people in Canada. Finding a ride to St. John's from PAB won't be hard, chances are you can arrange it with someone on the ferry ride. The experiences you get from it will be well worth the time spent, and it is about the journey right? You can always fly home to save time on the return.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
yeah leg space is a huge issue for me. This is why I hate the bus. Who the fuck do they make those things for, dwarves? Same with planes. Get real.

The ride to Sydney from Halifax would take a day? I don't think I'd be going to Halifax. The train goes to Truro then I'd have to take a bus to N. Sydney. I would like to do a stop and go to PEI though, it's the only province I haven't been to.

I guess in a worse case scenario I would try to get a bus from POB to St. J's but I'm certain there's an adventure between those two stops, which doesn't involve a bus.

I would definitely fly home.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
Halifax to Sydney is a five hour drive, I think. I remember leaving early in the morning and just missing the afternoon ferry, so I had to wait around until the night one came. Where would the train drop you off, Antigonish? And hitch across NFLD, the stories will be so worth it.

You usually get two seats to yourself on the train and they are nicely spaced and you can always go to the dome car or wander up and down to stretch. I would rather spend three days on a train than five hours in a plane, and I am not even tall.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories