• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Traffic question

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
You're tailgated through a couple streets by someone living down the road.
Its a small two way street in the burbs

You signal right into your house and break slowly but angle slightly left preparing to reverse into the drive way.

Tailgater inches to the right to pass where you're signalling pulling too close to you that your in a costanza stand off.

Who has the right of way?

Generally if your were turning right you wouldn't pass on the left in the first place you would lean into the other lane though.

Tahoe

TRIBE Member
I would think that you have the right of way considering the other vehicle has to veer into oncoming traffic to get around you.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
you could have signaled right, waited, and they would have passed you on the left.
you signaled right...but turned left. you should have signaled left, turned left, and then reversed.

Vise

TRIBE Member
You should brake check that tailgating bastard until he rear ends you... at which point you beat him senseless with a tire iron. Problem solved!

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Ndrwrld is right. You're meant to signal in every direction you drive your car toward. In your drivers test, when you execute the U turn portion of the test you need to signal with each move or you fail that bit.

A signal is also an indicator to the drivers behind you 'prepare to stop'. Doesn't mean they'll have to, but it means they might. And if they aren't following too closely behind they should have plenty of time to do so. Except for when retards ahead of you brake and then put their blinker on. I want to punch those people in the head to get the synapses firing again.

alison87

TRIBE Member
Ndrworld wins. Unfortunately suburban drivers are the worst. People start getting stupider at Bloor and by the time you hit Finch you might as well throw the rulebook out the window the drivers are so irrational and unpredictable.

djfear

TRIBE Member
If someone has a hard on for me and is tailgating me because they've been sitting on a turtlehead for the last 15 minutes in traffic, or they're driving like they're about to piss their pants, then in that case I would signal right and let the dude pass on the left, he'll do it very quickly since he's on a mission to get somewhere.

Otherwise, I would just signal right and drive slow and arc the car left and then reverse. Signalling left (though it seems correct in this instance) would tell the other person that you intend on going into another drive way and then they would just go to the right of you, thus invoking the castanza stand-off, but the other driver should realize very quickly that you intend on backing into your drive way.

In either scenario, because you are the vehicle that is ahead, you have the right of way.

stryker

TRIBE Member
You have to indicate the direction your turning in but, technically, the person behind you has to wait until your done because It sounds like it's only a two way street. They're not actually allowed to pass into the other lane.

I had the exact opposite happen last week. I live on a corner, I turned right to go on to my street but then slowed to down to make the immediate left into my driveway and this punk teenager went around me on the drivers side and came within inches of slamming into driver side door.

stew

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
I cant stand tailgater's, so I would get out of my truck then pull the prick out of his car then throw him into a snow bank, then get into his car and drive it into a snow bank, then carry on with what you were doing

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
I'm already doing 80 in a 30 school zone, how much faster am I suppose to go? fuck him!! he's going into the snow bank , hopefully face first into dog pee

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Since when are you not allowed to pass on the left on a two way street? You have to wait for traffic to be clear and execute only when safe to do so, but its allowed. You've never travelled on a 2 way highway and passed a slower vehicles ahead of you?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
if it's a 2 way street, one lane per way, you can pass on the left if the car in front of you is stationary, with hazards on, as long as your visibility past the stationary car is good ( 100 ft ? ). This guy was tailgating, and should have waited, but the improper turn signal didn't help.

should have dropped the oil slick and called in a missile strike.