• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

track turnaround

FLIRT Crew

TRIBE Member
butcha pointed out something to me, and I totally agree with him...

the turnaround for UKG records, from dub to release, is total *crap*. Radio DJ's are holding onto 'exclusive dubs' for *months* (longer than they've ever done) before release... and I find myself growing completely tired of a track before it's even released! Who is this helping, other than the Radio DJ's? Do producers and labels really think they're going to move more units if they over-expose a tune for months before it comes out?

Don't get me wrong, I subscribe to the 'exclusive dub' philosophy. Hell, it's an integral part of our scene. It creates hype about a track... people listen keenly to club and radio dj's for the next big anthem... but with the scene in its current fragile state, the industry cannot afford to horde exclusive material for as long as they do. Something needs to change.

Workers revolution! (opps, didn't mean for that slip out ;) )

Thoughts?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
...yeah, although dubs and exclusives have always been part of the scene(Karl Brown) over the past few years it has gotten more and more prevelant...overall I do think it can do more harm than good...

Thunder

TRIBE Member
ya and they wait another few months to put out the remixes of the tracks instead of putting them on the other side of the record.

talk about milking your market dry.. :rolleyes:

FLIRT Crew

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Thunder
ya and they wait another few months to put out the remixes of the tracks instead of putting them on the other side of the record.

talk about milking your market dry.. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started about that. :)

It just pisses me off, that everytime I make a shopping list based on radio play, i have to wait *forever* for the track releases. By the time they're actually released, I just don't even care enough to grab them. How are they going to make this music 'international' if every dj outside of london is in a 6 month time void?

The way it should work...

1 - Producer makes the tune and hands it over to the label.
2 - Label hands the radio/club dj's a dub plate.
3 - People get excited.
4 - One month after the dub first aired in clubs and on the radio, it's made available to purchase (ie, the label planned the release *before* supplying the dub).
5 - Label makes money. DJ's get recognition. People get thier hands on the product.
6 - The people rejoice.

The way it does work...

1 - Producer makes the tune.
2 - Producer hands the radio/club dj's a dub before the label even gets it.
3 - People get excited.
4 - 6 months pass. Somewhere inbetween the label gets thier hands on it.
5 - People loss interest.
6 - The track is released.
7 - Nobody cares.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
Many of them are now waiting for "the right time" to press stuff up.

Let's face it.

It's not exactly a bull market.

Does the scene make the music or the music make the scene?

Without one, there will not be the other...

The danger of dubs is really for new listeners/djs who want copies of things they can't get a hold of.

Neil and I were talking about this a while back when we were looking to order some stuff...I think every second thing Neil was looking for was just a dub.

The right amount of "exclusivity" is good and all that - to keep things fresh.

Too much of this "freshness" however, makes for a market that's bored of the song (that gets hammered on dub) even before it's full release. Or a market that gets bored of the scene because the "normal" djs can't get the tunes people really want to hear...or tunes that are ranked in the Top 10s of the top DJs.

If you look at most of the BBC DJ top listings...they're mostly VIP versions, dubs, test presses, etc. which is all well and good because scene leaders SHOULD be playing the freshest wax...but I agree with Divy's original notion: they need to cut down the time between dub and full release if they want to capitalize on any hype that might have been built up...

Because if a track doesn't come out in full release before it leaves the Top 10 or whatever...that's sad.

Kinda like movies - if you see the trailer so many time that you feel like you've seent the whole movie, you're less likely to pay out to see it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Thunder

TRIBE Member
alot white labels and dubs never get advertised on the websites either.. I remember a bunch of those I picked up while over there were never put on any of the respective record store websites.

FLIRT Crew

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DeepSix

It's not exactly a bull market.

The point I'm trying to make is that by having such a huge time gap between dub and release, the industry is in effect shooting itself in the foot. The model is fucked up. I realize that UKG has a long history of overhype, exclusivity, and track hording... but you would think that stuff like that would ease up with the current scene, not get *worse*.

Originally posted by DeepSix

Because if a track doesn't come out in full release before it leaves the Top 10 or whatever...that's sad.

Sad indeed... A tune should be released at the *height* of its popularity... not while it's sliding down or off the charts.

Marketing 101.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by FLIRT Crew
The point I'm trying to make is that by having such a huge time gap between dub and release, the industry is in effect shooting itself in the foot.

I totally agree.

However, a few people I know are now saying that they're planning to release stuff...not because the time is right...but because someone has to!

It's almost too little too late...

BUT IT WILL NOT DIE!!!