• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toyota FJ Cruiser

kuba

TRIBE Member
This car deserves its own thread. Lots of people will say "its ugly" and "its an SUV". Personally I don't think it IS ugly, I just think it is DIFFERENT. (while sticking to its original roots).

original FJ-40:

new FJ

It's a tad BIG, and hummerlike, but very functional. If I had 29K to blow on an SUV that's not an SUV but is an SUV but isn't, this is the one I'd go with, over the ELEMENT anyday.

Design critiques?

Last edited:

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I’ve seen quite a few of those around lately. Not bad I guess but I still think wagons are better.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
i like these. the wacky lights on the rearview mirrors kind of strike me as particularly useless though.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I agree that wagons are better. I'm much more of a wagon person. There is something to be said, however, for a big beefy piece of metal based on the Toyota 4runner. You can FEEL how heavy and tough it is.

(14L/100KM though..EEK0

Lurker

TRIBE Member
The new one is alright, though I would prefer the cleaner, sportier looking Rav4 instead.

I would prefer one of the short wheel-base old school ones over everything though. In diesel please. They still make them elsewhere in the world.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
14L/100KM is about 22MPG, that's city right? not bad for a fattie, Honda Accord V6s and Impalas return roughly the same city figures.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
i would LOVE an old FJ or a landcruiser diesel. that shit would rule the mountains so much more than my pedo van.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
i would LOVE an old FJ or a landcruiser diesel. that shit would rule the mountains so much more than my pedo van.
See if you can score a Lada Niva. That would rule almost as much as the shorty Land Cruiser and for a fraction of the price.

There's a surprising amount of them around Montreal. Makes me wish I still had mine :(

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
14L/100KM is about 22MPG, that's city right? not bad for a fattie, Honda Accord V6s and Impalas return roughly the same city figures.
I think it’s safe to assume that’s the highway mileage

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
when i lived in quebec the town i was in had a Lada dealership....it was the only one i've ever seen in canada. i can barely afford to eat let alone a new vehicle, i just like to dream.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
I think it’s safe to assume that’s the highway mileage
i just looked it up-

"Preliminary mileage numbers are 18/22 for the automatic 4x2, 16/19 for the 4x4 with manual transmission and 17/21 for the 4x4 automatic."

FUCK THAT NOISE.

it's even worse when the japanese build a pig, cause we expect more.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
thumper I thought you were gay, what do the gays know about cars?

I'm beginning to think you and kinger are the same person

Lurker

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
AKA the Step Lada?
lol

It was an awesone little truckie thing. Couldn't get it stuck even when bombing through my friends' farm field in the spring the one year.

Was slow, bad on gas, but it was awesome in the snow and could climb walls.

It's a copy of a Fiat truck, just like the Lada Signet was a Fiata 124/131. Why you would copy Fiat, I have no idea.

The newer Lada Samarra's were pretty quick little cars for just having a 1.5L engine. Used a lot of GM parts on it too. And somehow, Porsche 911 (80's style) dampers coule be used to replace the front shocks.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
thumper I thought you were gay, what do the gays know about cars?

I'm beginning to think you and kinger are the same person

i say godamit- every thing i post gets put through the gay filter!!!!!!1111

I AM A HUMAN BEING AND I LEIK CARS SINCE I WAS TEN AND ASK ME WHAT ENGINE IS IN WHAT CAR AND WHAT YEARS A BODYSTYLE WAS PRODUCED AND I WILL TELL YOU AND SHUT UP!!1