• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tory has been Mayor for a year now. Has he actually done anything?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
While I am super happy Ford got the boot, when I heard Tory had been Mayor of Toronto for a year already I began wondering what he has actually done while in office.

Is there a list of accomplishments around somewhere? I can't really think of anything concrete that he has accomplished for the city except passing on the Olympic bid (yay!) , which technically, I guess, is still not doing something...

Stop Bill C-10
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Tory's been feckless on transit with smart track so far:

At the recent Executive Committee meeting, Tory actually had the gall to say that during the campaign, he didn’t have access to a squad of experts and had to make do with the people he had. Funny that. This is the crowd that estimated construction costs on the back of an envelope, who “surveyed” the line using out of date Google images, who ignored basics of railway engineering and capacity planning to make outrageous claims for their scheme.

When the dust settled and John Tory became Mayor Tory, I thought, ok, he will adapt his plan. Indeed, it didn’t take long for a reversal on TTC bus service and the recognition that Rob Ford had stripped the cupboard bare and then started to burn the lumber at the TTC. A campaign attack on Olivia Chow’s (far too meagre) bus plan changed into championing the restoration of TTC service to the days of the “Ridership Growth Strategy” and beyond. Good on the Mayor, I thought, he can actually change his mind.

SmartTrack is another matter, and what Tory, what Toronto desperately needs is a fresh look at what GO, SmartTrack and the TTC could be if only the fiefdoms and the pettiness of clinging to individual schemes could be unlocked. That would take some leadership. I wonder who has any?​

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
He decorated his office for Halloween

CSa4kdsUYAAHR2-.jpg:large

djfear

TRIBE Member
He hasn't smoked crack.

When I mistyped my password to reply to this exact post I clicked on the "forgot your passport" button. This was the random question that came up after the email address input field: "What does Toronto Mayor Rob Ford smoke?"

It speaks volumes for what Tory has been doing -fixing our reputation!

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
He ticket bombed and towed along Bloor St in the morning, thus getting me to work faster and financially punishing morons. All hail John Tory!

diablo

TRIBE Member
I'd rather get a papercut on my eyeball than hear someone refer to Toronto as "The 6/Six/6ix", much less see a sign to that effect.

After Ford, I think that the perception is anyone that isn't so gaffe/drama filled is considered a better mayor. Expectations have been lowered that low.

Tory had something like a 65% approval rating I remember recently reading somewhere.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
isnt toronto and ontario fully a nanny state?

they also banned cart wheels at school a bit back and my friends kid got suspended for holding hands and skipping with her friend. they are in grade 3

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
isnt toronto and ontario fully a nanny state?

they also banned cart wheels at school a bit back and my friends kid got suspended for holding hands and skipping with her friend. they are in grade 3

I seriously doubt that anyone in the Ontario legislature has passed a law banning cartwheels and hand-holding. You'd be better off blaming the school administration than holding that up as an example of the entire province being a nanny state.