1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Tory budget-bill dare goes too far (bill C9

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by <FresHFunK>, May 28, 2010.

1. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

If this is a buget bill then why would the government want to add these topics to a bill and try to push through? More than half of the entire workload of Parliament last year.

THE 880-PAGE BILL

Bill C9 -- an Act to Implement Certain Provisions of the Budget and Other Measures (known as the Jobs and Economic Growth Act) -- would approve budget measures and also the following:

-Allow Export Development Canada to open offices outside Canada.

-Regulate the national credit card payment network.

-Give the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada a broader oversight role.

-Give Minister of Finance new powers to fight money laundering and terrorism financing.

-Permit letter exporters to collect letters in Canada for delivery abroad.

-Amend the Bank Act to allow credit unions to incorporate and continue as banks.

-Give Cabinet the right to sell all or part of Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd.

-Eliminate the need for an environmental assessment for certain federally funded infrastructure projects.

Read more:

Tory budget-bill dare goes too far

2. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

Here is the link to the actual bill.

C-9

3. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

*Head Assplodes*

4. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Maybe it's because most of those items are issues that people don't give a fuck about and they just want to get them off their desks so they can concentrate on their summer vacations?

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ha, this one's great.

"nah guys we're good, should be fine"

Its not as if there isn't an ongoing environmental disaster caused in part by streamlined environmental review processes..;)

6. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

So wait...

The government that I didn't vote for, that favors big business over individual people, who runs the country as if they represent everyone's best interest while being self serving and very secretive, wants to be able to just do what they want to our environment without consulting anyone?

Does this not concern EVERYONE?

7. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

*Ass Headsplodes*

8. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Considering they are a minority government and need Liberal/Bloc/NDP support this is doubly head *assploding*

Specifically the Liberals have become a bunch of panzies... between Iggie and McGuinty, this life long Liberal is calling it quits.

9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I'm almost convinced it's Canadian's as a whole. We are waaay to fucking passive.

10. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I'm switching to the Pirate Party of Canada

YARRR

11. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

Well I work in the nuclear industry and feel that something like the sale of Atomic Energy of Canada and CANDU Technology should be stopped and kept in the Governments hands as opposed to private investors. Like the environment assessments (with the BP Disaster ongoing) there needs to be strict guidelines and regulations put forth to control these types of industries. I want to kick the Conservatives in the junk! They took off from Christmas until after the Olympics and now they are throwing this monster of a bill through parliament in a 3-stage reading and are claiming to call an election if any opposing party tries to stop it? What the fuck? This is not a Communist Country!

We need a Red Shirt show down

12. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Oh wow I always heard that there were people who actually defend AECL/CANDU in the face of current European technologies. Turns out it's you!

13. SonorouS

SonorouS TRIBE Member

Paging Jeffsus, Dr. Jeffsus to the forum please.

14. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Why you slamming the CANDU?

15. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

Well, Yes I do support a Canadian product, Canadian science, and the wealth of knowledge we as Canadians bring to the table with regards to Nuclear. I would love to hear your opinion of Euro reactors. If our product is no good why would the french company Areva, Korean Hydro, Bruce Power, or westinghouse/GE want a piece of the CANDU pie?

You sounds like everybody else who has no idea what a Candu Reactor is all about.

The safest, best performing reactors in the world are CANDU's. Although the output isn't as high as Westinghouse or so on, but its about Quality, reliablity and safety when your dealing with nuclear.

Lets take a look at Isotopes, although the NRU is under repair (ITS a 50 YR OLD reactor) where do you think majority of the worlds Medical Isotopes where coming from?

Why don't we just sell it to an outside country like the 407 and let them reap the rewards of our tried, tested and proven technology?

Think Canadian, and think of a stronger future!

I would love to hear your version of the story

16. Hybrid

Hybrid TRIBE Member

Yes, lets just sell the LCBO while we're at it. It only grosses over a billion dollars a years and pays for many a social program. GO PRIVITIZATION.

17. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega TRIBE Member

Tell me you meant to do that.

18. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega TRIBE Member

You're right. Not like that same distribution arm in private hands would generate hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue which can also be funnelled into those same social programs (free of massive costs associated with running a behemoth government agency that pays people $30 an hour to stock shelves). GO TUNNEL VISION.

19. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Tax Revenue < Net Profit

I don't support privatizing the LCBO at all but I DO support overhauling its role in managing wine clubs and small operators. I think small businesses should be able to operate alongside the LCBO, and not be subject to their draconian importation rules.

20. <FresHFunK>

<FresHFunK> TRIBE Member

Vincent......

Yeah I did.

70% of the public feels that AECL should not be sold, so why sell it? Sounds like our government is listening to its people. Lets invest millions of dollars into Samsung instead to develope wind mills. SWEET! Because that money will stay in Canada now won't it?