• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Torrents and RSS

basilisk

TRIBE Member
Is anyone making use of these two technologies together, either as a content provider or end user? I'm curious to know what sorts of clients are best for this... which ones automate, and which ones require some manual intervention.

Peer

TRIBE Member
I use it, and it works pretty well. I use utorrent, and they have a good tutorial here:
http://www.utorrent.com/rsstutorial.php

Just make sure you are using the rssdl feed, and not the normal rss link. You're best to get the beta version of utorrent, as they tend to improve the rss capabilities all the time.

Ian

basilisk

TRIBE Member
Figures... I go to all that trouble to research various workable solutions, and the bittorrent client I already use is probably best enabled to take care of this for me.

My new site is going to enclose .torrents in the RSS feed... but I still have no clue if anyone would bother using the feature. Part of what I'm going to have to do is write about getting this to work for people :)

Now did I miss something, or is this fusion of torrents and RSS kind of a new thing?

Peer

TRIBE Member
A 'new' thing? ... depends on what you consider new. I could check the changelogs at utorrent and azureus, but i'm too lazy to know when it was first implemented.

I think this is feature that is mainly useful for two reasons. First, at a torrent site where maintaining a good ratio is important, and it's hard to keep that good ratio. Cause then you alway hop on your desired torrent as soon as it's posted allowing for max seeding time when there are relatively few seeders. It sucks when you hop on a site and there are 50 seeders and 2 leechers, cause you know your ratio is going to take a hit.

The second time I find this useful is when you are after scene releases, and you know that they are going to be out around a certain time, and you can't be there to start the download. Take 24 for example, it hits the scene 30 minutes after an episode ends, and should you be on a private tracker with an rssdl link, you could have that puppy down in minutes, and ready for watchin' when you get home.

In general though I think that the number of people that would use it, would depend on the kind of user on your site and how concerned they are with getting the file soon after it's posted.

Ian