1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Torrent warning

Discussion in 'Technology' started by sheik rock, Jan 9, 2015.

1. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

So I got my first warning for downloading a TV torrent.

How are we avoiding this in future? VPN service or something?

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

If you're not a member to a private torrenting site, I'd highly recommend that as a start.

3. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Im on a private site - hoping the public torrents are the low hanging fruit. ANyone on a private site get a warning yet?

4. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

Sorry to hijack but looks like a good time to ask - If anyone has a private invite please pm me - many thanks - sorry, back to thread.

5. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Who is your internet provider? I'm with TechSavvy and have yet to receive a warning.

and I would be happy to accept any invites to a private torrent site.

6. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Im with teksavvy,

using Kickass Torrents and the Old Pirate Bay, download a shit ton of stuff and zero warnings ever.

7. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i have 3 invites for IPT...pm me email addy if interested

8. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

How are private torrent sites different than public ones? MPAA or whoever can join just as easily as anybody here.

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I think its just the effort involved - like the CRA or drug enforcement don't go after everyone right, just the low hanging fruit.

Private torrent sites are like rich white boys doing cocaine in a wealthy suburb - just not targeted (or so we hope).

10. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I have two invites.. Pm with email address.

As said previously, torrents are not easy to do anonymously..VPN will slow you down and I don't trust anyones word about not keeping logs.

I am going to ride it out, no letters while using IPT since join date 2009. No encryption or peer blockers being use.

11. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

From the IPT forums:

12. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

My coworker is on teksavvy and he got a warning letter this week for a movie.

What TV network (HBO, etc..) was it that came after you?

13. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

You have to keep your ratios up. Meaning you have to leave torrents running all the time. A whole lot of work and bandwidth.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are fully infiltrating the private sites breaking the laws they're trying to enforce in the process.

14. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I'm with Teksavvy and downloading a few things this week and last month and haven't received any warning emails yet.

I'm using utorrent for my downloads and typically hit TPB, eztv and kickass to get them. I've set my client to always have encryption, no legacy connections, disabled DHT and PEX as well as running Peerblocker. Have never received an email and hoping I don't for a while.

Lobo

15. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

By keeping your ratio up you're also exposed to more risk as you have to keep the torrent open for longer(this is if you don't follow torrent etiquette of 1:1 ratio). From the anti-P2P group perspective, they are not tracking all the titles being shared just as many as they can handle (ie. picking a specific movie they want to go after). I also don't think they have to track everyone downloading a specific torrent, they can just track people sharing for a period of time. For example, they can just open a torrent for 30 minutes (or however long they choose) and grab the people that are sharing during that 30 minutes. This is how imagine it goes down, maybe I am wrong.

16. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

It was for an episode of "Broad City", and the letter came from Viacom, through Vobile as their agent. My ISP is Shaw, as I live in BC.

17. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

No issues using NZBs over here, highly recommended. I was previously on a number of private torrent sites and the ratio management stuff was a pain... could not be happier with the NZB route and the downloads are stupid fast. Snagged something the other day at 25.8 MB/s. :D

18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I have over a Tera byte before I'm back down to 1:1

Its possible to get to "easy street" on ratio - built it up with an unlimited Internet connection

19. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

NZB's are sweet but I find lately that if you don't snag new files quickly, they end up breaking and you get failed downloads...

20. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

Depends on your provider I think, with Astraweb I'm easily 99% good on downloads... only really old stuff (like 3+ years) fails on occasion for me.

21. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

22. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I keep hearing about newsbins and such. Any newbie guides on how to try this out?

Lobo

23. deep

deep TRIBE Member

SSL Usenet
    Seedbox for torrents + SSL FTP downloads from said seedbox

24. JoshuaReid

JoshuaReid TRIBE Member

Question: It's only illegal if you upload right? No issues for straight downloading?

I ask as I've been using IRC for downloading for years. It's always just a DCC transfer, no upload involved. So ideally it should be the safest way.

Speeds if you use the right channels are 1-2MB/s too so no issues about slow DLs.

25. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Got a warning via TekSavvy for a torrent of Amurican Sniper. (which I got via kickass)

I will ignore it.