• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Torontos' Underrated Techno Producers

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
I think toronto has alot of under rated producers!

What's with this city and not being able to make enough techno to fill the market with our talents?

With everyone we know there has to be atleast 20 decent producers in toronto who make music. But only a few ppl who have actually had releases out by themselves or other labels......

what's with that? can we have a techno revival? get some of our ppl out there doing good on a larger level?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Save your pennies, start a label or net label and then PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE

Half you guys are underrated because you are missing the barnum & bailey part of your act.

Anyone who tells me that an artist shouldn't have to promote themselves, the art should speak for itself is either

A. A very poor artist ($$)
B. A very poor artist.

odbx

musork

TRIBE Member
just take the naw approach ...
all I did is what todd said ...
its not rocket science...
no ones going to ever going to give you a chance if you dont hollar and scream about how good of a thing you have going on!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Arthur Oskan

just continues to make sick,sick beats.i hope it gets out to the masses soon.

Vergel/Shamus

the boys are back in town.i really enjoyed their earlier plates and looking forward to more shit in the future.

Rian Torrance

this guys is making some serious beats boy.he's focusing alot of attention on his studies right now but expect to hear more from him.sidenote: he's matt and mark thibadeau cousin.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
Arthur Oskan

very underated IMO.

with proper exposure and time.

i think we all will see what a refined Oskan can do :D

keep it up, new blood in the techno collective

-glycht

casual

TRIBE Promoter
Rian Torrance

this guys is making some serious beats boy.he's focusing alot of attention on his studies right now but expect to hear more from him.sidenote: he's matt and mark thibadeau cousin. [/B][/QUOTE]

wahahahaha...thanks for the plug homebwoy...I actyually have a suprise for you cats.....those cuts that we were fiddeling with over the summer...[ill by the way], I have transfered the midi files outta reason [thank god] and begun remolding the sounds on my actual gear, sounds fucking tight....can't wait to hear you drop it :)

other than this weekend, when are you booked for a next gig? I can try to have the merchandise then..

ez

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
yeah thanks for the props! it's been a long time coming. hopefully the bunch of us can make enough noise to get noticed in the larger scene.

*fingers crossed*

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Arthur Oskan

Vergel/Shamus

the boys are back in town.i really enjoyed their earlier plates and looking forward to more shit in the future.

Rian Torrance

this guys is making some serious beats boy.he's focusing alot of attention on his studies right now but expect to hear more from him.sidenote: he's matt and mark thibadeau cousin.

no doubt on your selections bro.... Torrance you better be making good use outta my X Base Jomox fool... :p

cuz you know how much those knobs were used here :D

--- cant wait to hear your new shit you told me about bro...

werd to shamus, infact imma be laying some shamus down for tonights show :)

nice to see Evans back in the game, actually its actually fucking nice to see the Verggg man locating to the techno room .... thought the general room owned you pal :p

sd/

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
the general room did.... then the Wabi 5 year brought me back. :)

now that i've got my life settled down, I feel like I can actually get back to doing what I love, and try and get away from doing the things I don't.

fer me... I'd hate to live my life regretting the lucky breaks I "could've" had.

Arthur Oskan

TRIBE Member
Torontos' Underrated Techno Producers

I think toronto has alot of under rated producers!

What's with this city and not being able to make enough techno to fill the market with our talents?

With everyone we know there has to be atleast 20 decent producers in toronto who make music. But only a few ppl who have actually had releases out by themselves or other labels......

what's with that? can we have a techno revival? get some of our ppl out there doing good on a larger level?

First off, I want to give a shout to all who have supported my productions from day one. Most of you have some promos and other who don't, i'll be glad to get you a CD.

Producers here in Toronto I find, and I totally may get shot for this, seem to take a real introverted approach when it comes to marketing themselves. From discussions I've had, I've come to the conclusion that they think that the same rules should not apply to them as they do DJ's, with regards to marketing and promotion. I can't disagree more. Get in people's faces! Send out productions!

Circ early to late 90's, producers were regarded as the "pinnacle" in the whole DJ culture circuit. With the advent of software and the ease of starting home laptop based studios, DJ's have taken control of their own work, without the need of producers who own gear. In essence, putting the sole promotion of their material on a producers shoulders. Bottom line. Producers now need to work harder to get out there.

Mind you, the work I've done with Greg has helped my career enourmously. Techno fans all over hear my shit now, and the use of Final Scratch launches that even further. Charting in Europe, Spain and NA puts more faith in my beleif that producers can still make their mark.

Even though I've been producing and releasing material since 93 (started with mail order cassettes, doing live PA's at Pizza Pino's in Ajax...funny story), i still need to push, prod and sometimes use brute force to get on bills.

A great succuss story producer has always been Jake Fairley. Stayed true to his sound, and reached great hights worldwide

Hope to see you all out this Friday for Mono!

Arthur

ladd

TRIBE Member
Arthur Oskan

Vergel/Shamus

Rian Torrance

re: Rian Torrance

what releases does he have? I love matt and mark thibadeau's work (and have alot of their releases), so i'm assuming that talent runs in the family :)

diablo

TRIBE Member
I think more people would take the DIY route if it wasn't so damn expensive. Putting out your own records takes A LOT of money. If you don't have a good distributor, it also takes a lot of time and effort, which can sometimes be too much for someone who also goes to school or works full time.

I've just started work on two labels, but they'll probably be CD/mp3 labels for at least the first year. I just can't justify dropping several thousand dollars to put out a record right now. I have the utmost respect for independent labels slogging it out right now, especially considering the state of the electronic music industry (labels folding every week, etc).

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Vergel and I have some stuff in the works and we are taking it slow to make it last this time round. It is alot of work to get things up and going as I have seen some of what it takes through people who are doing labels and such. If its good it should last the test of time and I believe the new stuff we are doing shows this. I am not trying to be the end all be all of music but rather come across solid all the time.

BTW Vergels new tracks are tight.

:D

patri©k

TRIBE Member
I caught Oskan at a Nightmare party and yeah, he fucking layed down some BEATS!

big room tunes. B'GROOMCHOONS zeen.

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Humanjava
Vergel and I have some stuff in the works and we are taking it slow to make it last this time round. It is alot of work to get things up and going as I have seen some of what it takes through people who are doing labels and such. If its good it should last the test of time and I believe the new stuff we are doing shows this. I am not trying to be the end all be all of music but rather come across solid all the time.

BTW Vergels new tracks are tight.

:D

i played a track of yours last night i have on cdr, but your my crew so i dont need your permission :p:D

sd/

musork

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vveerrgg
what's up with the Thibadeau's I haven't seen them in years. LivePa or just running around town.

thet be doing the european thing like jake, sheldon and jeremy

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by musork
thet be doing the european thing like jake, sheldon and jeremy

actually last i heard recently from Mr. Torrance is their still in Toronto , still making awesome tunes , most noteable on Sub Static Neil :)

shit who knows though, perhaps they are in europe as i type!

speculation!!!

only they know.... :D

musork

TRIBE Member
oh well last we exchanged words I was told they be berliners now...
but what do I know Im in montreal miles away ...
its been 16 months since Ive heard a peep from them... since I moved away basically...
but like Ive always said why leave canada in fact why leave toronto is what I say... Im still kicking my self in the ass for leaving the city that even though is not where I was born or grew up but in 95 became what I still consider to be my home town... I miss toronto... :(

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
^ i miss your jams for one...

monolake. such a wicked time:D

[edit] post count: Naw and Douglas are getting along call the post count people ;):D (4111) extra one because we are #1.