• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto's Rising Waters

acheron

TRIBE Member
Buddy of mine is stuck on the 427 south right in front of a flood of water that has already engulfed several cars ahead up to the windows..

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just biked back from Yorkville and the Don River is just intense! It looked to be about 6 inches from rising over the cement sidewalls and onto the DVP under the Dundas bridge. The bike path is under about a meter or more of water and the river is now as wide as the railway tracks going all the way to the cement wall on the east side. Whole trees are floating down the river. People are standing on the bridges just watching its awesomeness.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Heavy rain causes flooding, subway delays in Toronto
CBC News
Posted: Jul 8, 2013 5:49 PM ET
Last Updated: Jul 8, 2013 7:06 PM ET

Heavy rains have led to local flooding, public transit delays and power outages across Toronto, as a series of storms slowly move through the city.

The storms moved into Toronto just ahead of the supper hour Monday, bringing heaping amounts of rain with them.

Environment Canada has put Toronto under a severe thunderstorm warning due to a "cluster" of storms that are making their way towards the city from the Brampton and Mississauga areas.
Transit delays, power outages

Toronto Hydro initially advised that the rain could lead to local outages, later reporting that some 6,000 customers were without power.

The TTC advised riders shortly after 6 p.m. that all subway service would be holding due to signal and flooding issues. It later said that "severe delays" were occurring on all of its routes and passengers should expect their journeys to take much longer than normal.

The Scarborough Rapid Transit Line is still operating as are most streetcars.

The rain was also causing problems for GO Transit passengers, including delays and a few cancellations on the Milton, Kitchener, Barrie, Richmond Hill and Lakeshore East lines. Many GO buses were delayed by half an hour or longer as a result of the weather.

Toronto police were urging the public to be careful on the roads when driving home:

Please slowdown and drive with care, heavy rain and pooling in many areas of the city. @TorontoPolice pic.twitter.com/jTP6FPQmNK
— Sach (@sachbiring) July 8, 2013

They were also issuing reports of flooding in some areas:

Drivers try to avoid flooded areas. Don't park your car in big puddles, you might get stuck, avoid underpasses especially Wilson &401
— Gary Long (@GoforGary) July 8, 2013

Avoid Mt. Pleasent and St Leonards. A tree is down and took wires with it landed on a car road closed in both directions. No injuries...

DVP and Dundas now flooding stay away if you can or ay least drive slowly in that area, use caution please!

Toronto City Hall was evacuated on Monday evening and some flooding was occurring in its parking lot.

On Twitter, Mayor Rob Ford urged Torontonians to be careful, to report flooding and to avoid flooded areas.

Heavy rain causes flooding, subway delays in Toronto - Toronto - CBC News

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Seeing lots of pics of the flooded areas.

Some of the posters still can't resist running them through vintage filters before posting them.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The Don flooded over about a month ago. They had to close the DVP for a few hours.

Toronto's Don Valley Parkway reopens after severe flooding - Toronto - CBC News
I saw that flooding from the bridge also. This is different. There is way more water and the river is a lot wider. Last time there was some water pooling on the low spots of the DVP. THat is happening now but there is an enormous river right next to it and if that bursts through the embankment or goes over the top it cold get really messy.

If some fallen trees pile up under the Queen St. Bridge and the water starts to back up, look out!

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
im buying some wellies tomorrow. they are dorky but I cant stand wet feet, and my same shoes have been soaked twice in the past week and are ruined and gross now.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
i fucking love toronto.

we fucking get flooded after 20 mins of rain.
I think it has been raining for 2 months now and the ground is saturated. This new rain has nowhere else to go but flood. Greenwood park is like a lake. THe ground can't absorb any more water.

derek

TRIBE Member
rode my bike home from browns line & lakeshore to main & danforth. the lake shore trail was submerged in several spots but they were navigable (barely). went up bay st had to mount the side walk though as the water was too deep on the road.

interestingly it only took my and extra 15 minutes than normal. it would have taken me longer in the car today. i love my keen cycling sandals (cycling shoes would've been destroyed). sure they're ugly but they're damn effective.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories