• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto's first pot clinic opens on the Danforth - the first of many?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I thought prescribing weed for aliments still fell into a gray area legally but I guess the laws have changed.

I recently read a story online that over a hundred clinics have sprung up in downtown Vancouver since last year and the police are ignoring them. In the story, it seemed you could walk into a clinic and get a prescription on the spot form a 'holistic' doctor and immediately get it filled with weed onsite.

Is this the case in Ontario as well? Or are the laws in BC different somehow?

What's the scoop?

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
Here in Ontario you have to have a doctor who will prescribe it to you first, then you register with a dispensary who will have a menu of different strains that you can choose from. Everything is done through the mail, no longer can you go into a store and purchase your weed.

Your card is given to you through the dispensary not Health Canada. Their stance is a strange one, they dont view marijuana as a beneficial medicine however they acknowledge that there are doctors who are out there who do.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
After long time observation of regular pot smokers... like.. all over the place... I would like to fundamentally declare the truth that all non smokers already know, most pot smokers know but won't admit, and what a bunch of pot smokers just can't seem to calculate.

Regular pot smokers are lazy ass nitwits who don't fit into good jobs because they're always high or waiting to get high again. They get high because they're bored and need to kill time and have no money or ambition to do anything worthwhile. This becomes obviously circular.

Pot makes you STUPID. It does not "expand consciousness" or increase creativity or any other bullshit philosophies espoused by smokers. Have you ever heard people on pot talk? It's like being sober listening to a drunk. Usually they don't talk anyway, just sort of sit there being stoned, killing time.

Pot smoke smells nicer than tobacco smoke but that really isn't saying much. And beyond that, YES pot smoke stinks up your car and your clothes as much as any tobacco does. It stinks up your breath and the pipes you leave around stink like shit. Don't even start about bong water.

Pot's good for pain? Well so is fuckin vodka. Cures nausea, sleep disorders, appetite problems, glaucoma? Tell me it cures aids. It's all bullshit. Potheads just want to get HIIIIIGGGGHHHH. It's only medicinal property is it cures boredom and ambition.

Yeah, it's a relatively harmless high. You're probably not going to lose your job over it (as much as surf board retailer or gardener or ski instructor are "jobs") You shouldn't drive while high though you probably do anyway, assuming you can afford a running vehicle. Yeah it won't give you cancer and doesn't make you any more of an asshole than you might be when sober.

But pot does smell bad, makes you (or keeps you) dumb and lazy, sittin around renting some low grade apartment fueling you with bullshit and temporary hippy-esque neo-entheogenic nonsense.

And yeah, take your fucking pipe and bong or blunt and smoke it the fuck outdoors. It without fail makes as much ash mess as cigarettes and stinks up curtains and furniture so don't pretend that just cause it's pot it's some OK-new-age funk that homeowners should be cool with.

In short, grow up, get a real job, tell your teenager dealer to fuck off, and join the real world.

PS check out a pothead 10 years ago and a pothead today and you'll notice they're doing the exact same thing.

-jM
A&D

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Let me assure you that I am as capable of being as lazy and unmotivated as any burn out in the clutches of reefer madness. I have gotten drunk and accosted the operator at KFC for not offering Delivery by noon, all while still in bed.

Life is hard sometimes, to each their own.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Does pot make people lazy?

Or do lazy people smoke pot?

This is an absent question from the New School pot haters - because it completely undermines their position.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Does pot make people lazy?

Or do lazy people smoke pot?

This is an absent question from the New School pot haters - because it completely undermines their position.
Actually that is exactly what I meant when I said "circular".

The answer is: it doesn't matter.

-jM
A&D

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I'll bite at the bait. Jeffsus, what you're describing is an extreme user. Extreme users of any substance tend to fall off the map and lost the plot of life. You're not incorrect in your description but you're talking about a small percentage of users, who are just highly visible as burn outs. I think you'd be surprised at how many of your co-workers smoke pot.

praktik

TRIBE Member
But why are chronic users chronic?

Is it the pot or are they self medicating for more deeply rooted problems.

It's kind of hopeless though maybe - attempting to refute stigma with facts. Generalities and assumptions are more potent than facts.

This is probably the unconscious carry over of the Victorian morality that considered drugs an evil in themselves - so the substance itself is almost given the agency of the individual.

But that whole thinking misses the plot. Pot doesn't make people lazy or make people smoke it chronically. People do that - for a whole host of differing reasons.

Last edited:

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I'll bite at the bait. Jeffsus, what you're describing is an extreme user. Extreme users of any substance tend to fall off the map and lost the plot of life. You're not incorrect in your description but you're talking about a small percentage of users, who are just highly visible as burn outs. I think you'd be surprised at how many of your co-workers smoke pot.
Yes, I am talking about the extreme user. That's what I mean by "pothead".

Basically everyone nowadays could count as an "occasional user" or more, but I'm talking about the peeps who more or less seem to be smoking nonstop.

Any more generally, to point out that yes pot does smell and the smoke and ashes cause messes. I don't mind people smoking weed but like cigarettes I think the evolution of the etiquette needs some adjustment, starting with pot smokers realizing that the smell and mess indoors can irk people so it should be done outdoors.

Oh and also you shouldn't drive while high.

OH and also if you have pain that is somehow so chronic that you need to smoke marijuana literally continuously, then you qualify for some kind of opioid narcotic relief and you will not be as dumbed out on it as you are on weed.

-jM
A&D

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
The driving thing gets at just how difficult it is to legislate for pot - people also mix terminology and expectations a bit with drinking. Also: dont see this as advertisement to smoke pot and drive, just my interpretation of latest available evidence:

- statistics about pot and driving deaths need to be examined closely. Pot stays in people's bloodstreams for up to 30 days after they smoke - caution is required and you need to check and see if people are reporting based on how many fatalities had pot in their bloodstream vs ones where data is available that points to being high at the time of the accident. The former is often the case and used in some yellow journalism on pot.

- Roadside tests for pot have not yet evolved to point where impairment at time of driving can be proven reliably. Being caught "red-handed" , with burning joints and smoke still in the cabin is probably still the best evidence you can get.

- Smoking pot can really really impair your driving.

- Smoking pot can also impair your driving in same degree as driving on a poor night's sleep - which is to say not much at all. However this is directly linked to how chronic you are - newbs will be crazily impaired, chronics not much at all.. More here: Cannabis effects on driving skills. [Clin Chem. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

All of which is to say, sometimes people discussing pot and driving have real evidence to back their assertions - and pot is in something of a weird limbo where it's actions on our brains and introduction of impairment while driving is something almost resistant to legislation: there's all kinds of caveats and differing impacts on different individuals that mean its a fascinating aspect of marijuana legalization running up against a society ill prepared to manage it.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yes, I am talking about the extreme user. That's what I mean by "pothead".

Basically everyone nowadays could count as an "occasional user" or more, but I'm talking about the peeps who more or less seem to be smoking nonstop.
No, you're basically regurgitating arbitrary judgments on complex human behaviour that you think are valid because your confirmation bias has you remembering the ones that match your expectations. In this sense your statements have the *feeling* of being correct without being so.

There's a lot of Truthiness to your posts in this thread...;)

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
No, you're basically regurgitating arbitrary judgments on complex human behaviour that you think are valid because your confirmation bias has you remembering the ones that match your expectations. In this sense your statements have the *feeling* of being correct without being so.

There's a lot of Truthiness to your posts in this thread...;)
I am correct.

As for the driving thing and the ability to detect BAC levels or intoxication of THC or anything other than alcohol -- it doesn't really matter.

Thanks to MADD and others the "care and control" law exists and the punishments are identical to DUI. Say you're in a pub, have a pint of beer, and your keys are in your pocket: you are guilty of a warn-zone for sure (which can be expensive and very disruptive) and even a DUI if a cop feels like charging you. This is literally true and absolutely disgusting as obviously nearly everyone in the pub every day is guilty. The only reason this is not enforced is because I suppose even cops realize something is wacked with that law.

I guess the laws exist as they are to give police the power to arrest and charge (and judges to find guilty) people of arbitrary condition, and allows them to arrest people based on suspected intent instead of actual behaviour. This also allows cops fantastic powers of arbitrary judgement and enforcement of the law as they see fit, which should make everyone uncomfortable.

-jM
A&D

Last edited: