1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Toronto welcomes a new movie theatre, Underground Cinema

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Zorro, May 14, 2010.

1. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

For 15 years, a 700-seat movie theatre has sat empty underneath Spadina Avenue, about half a block north of Queen. Tonight, it’s coming back to life as the Toronto Underground Cinema.

The theatre’s resurrection is due to the efforts of three passionate movie lovers, Alex Woodside, Nigel Agnew and Charlie Lawton. Woodside and Agnew used to work at the Bloor Cinema, where – among other things – they convinced Edgar Wright to program a series of Sunday night double-features when the director was in town shooting Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.....

NOW Magazine // Daily // Raiders Of The Lost Auditorium

Good free double bill tonight!

Big trouble in Little China AND Clue.

2. futronic

futronic TRIBE Member

Clue!?! Fucking awesome.

-- Jay aka Fut

3. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

i went to this theatre this winter to see a Bjork movie (it was an Images Festival event).
    it's a cool space for sure. they just really, really need to deal with the HVAC. it was FREEEEEEZING in there.

4. futronic

futronic TRIBE Member

I'd rather it be freezing cold than way too hot!

-- Jay aka Fut

5. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Communism was just a red herring.

6. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

One of my favorite Tim curry roles.

The scenes were he put's all together having the guest chase him around the mansion as he runs from one room to the other.

Funny I saw this movie at the Rainbow up the street from me. That theater used to be thought of as a "new" theater.

Still a great place to watch a film for cheap.

7. This is the old site of the Golden Classics/Golden Harvest cinema isn't it? The one that was showing all the old Hong Kong/Kung Fu films in the mid 90's?

If so, nice!

8. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Always good news when an indie theatre rises from its ashes - great cause for general optimism :)

9. mutslaster

mutslaster TRIBE Member

highsteppa - yup, the former golden classics (now called the acacia centre, which is way less cool). the space is great and they seem to have fixed some of the sound issues we had when we screened the bjork film and joy division doc there in the winter (liz, the temperature was much more bearable for the joy division doc but still pretty cold!)

10. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

This is good news.. I had no idea a theatre was there. Very cool!

[​IMG]

11. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Amazing they kept it so clean, I always imagined it would be a total Blade Runner set in there after it closed, people living in cardboard shacks burning tires in barrels, water leaking everywhere, dim sum available 24-7

12. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Looks awesome, can't wait to check it out!

13. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

I went to the Clue/Big Trouble double bill last night
    Good times were had by all
    It was like being at a Midnight Madness show
    The crowd was rowdy and up for it
    Lots of life in the room. It was super fun.

14. kat

kat TRIBE Member

do they have a website where they will be posting schedules?

their facebook page has some info..but only for the china/clue and jim henson thing

sounds neato i wanna check it out