1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Toronto Votes: Ward 20 Councillor Race

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by Wiseman, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I think there are at least a few people in Ward 20 on here so I thought I'd start a thread as I know very little about the race for City Councillor.

Is there an alternative to Adam Vaughan?

Inside Toronto Votes Ward 20 (Trinity-Spadina)

The candidates are:

Dean MaherKen OsadchukRoman PolochanskyAdam VaughanMike Yen

Dean seems to be the only alternative but he supports Smitherman.

I don't really want to vote for Adam though and the other options don't look any better.

Thoughts?

Any links to polls?

2. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

I guess everyone assumes Vaughan already has it made. I'm also in Ward 20 and just went looking around for information about the other candidates. No one there I'd likely vote for. Mike Yen even seems intent on riding Rob Ford's coattails.

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Adam Vaughan is not such a bad choice.
    Yes, he's said a few dumb things, but I do think his heart is in the right place, and he has matured since he first started.

4. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

He also is extremely accessible. None of the other candidates have anything better to offer so I think I will go with AV.

5. jayx1

jayx1 TRIBE Promoter

Mike Yen is the best candidate to me. He wants to balance the needs of small businesses including entertainment venues with those of the residents. He is against the new harmonized bylaws that ban rooftop and back patios for restaurants and bars. Mike Yen is also against the same bylaw that restricts any new restaurant to street level only. (no second floor or third floor allowed)

They are all bylaws that adam vaughan has pushed for.

These bylaws will not only destroy the club scene, but restaurant, coffee shops you name it. Think about your favourite venue and ask if it would get aprroved today under the new bylaws that adam vaughan pushed for and voted for. Probably not!

Mike Yen also seems to have the most momentum as opposition to vaughan.

6. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

7. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

So you joined Tribe. This will be amusing.

8. Mike Yen

Mike Yen New Member

election ward 20

The two polls we did have me in the lead. There is an alternative to Adam Vaughan. He has destroyed the entertainment district and will do more damage if he's not stopped. English media has ignored anyone but Vaughan in this race. He has many close friends in the media.

We are winning. Spread the word and get out and vote. The younger demographic that supports my campaign often doesn't vote. We need their voice to be heard.

YEN2010.com

9. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Sorry Mike. You support Rob Ford which is ridiculous. You even use his neanderthal catch phrase on your website: "Stop the gravy train".

I can't support anyone who thinks it is even remotely a good idea to have Rob Ford at the head of our city.

10. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Oh and you think that buses would be more efficient than streetcars which is a gigantic load of crap.

11. jayx1

jayx1 TRIBE Promoter

LOL! ive had an account here for years

12. jayx1

jayx1 TRIBE Promoter

If its an adam vaughan win, slitherman is just going to keep letting him do what hes doing. You think rob ford would let vaughan get away with all this BS?

As for Yen, he is a centrist. He has support from candidates from the left, centre and right. Mike has not endorsed Rob Ford.

13. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Right. Mike has not endorsed Rob Ford. Sure.

Open up his website what is dead centre in the middle of the page:

Did he come up with that himself? How about the quotes along the left side of the page?

oh and who is at the top of his endorsement page?

I may not agree with everything Vaughan supports but the other candidates just don't measure up. And if Rob Ford does win you can bet I don't want anyone who would vote with him on council.

14. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Municipal politics for dummies: stand against whatever your opponent stands for and hope something sticks.

15. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

16. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

The entertainment district destroyed itself years ago. The backlash by long encroaching residential interests is completely understandable. As I've suggested to Jay on other boards, he'd be better off focusing his energies on viable alternatives rather than fighting an obvious losing battle. Look at other, more progressive models of urban nightlife and how it exists alongside residential properties and learn to work with that, not against it.

Mike, you say you're fighting the war on fun, yet you back a mayoral candidate who wants to put 100 more cops on the streets, even when current crime stats show no such need. Come again?

17. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

After reading about all the candidates I have to say Roman Polochansky seems like one serious dude... Check out one of his FAQs from his site:

huh, whu? This is a question he is frequently asked?

But check out his work experience & profile too. Pretty impressive stuff.

Yen kinda sounds like a douche and Maher sounds ok but too focused on the whole "stopping the gravy train".

18. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Results:
    The City of Toronto: Unofficial election results,

Vaughan is raking in the votes. It was no contest here, just as expected.

Now it's time for everyone who supported Yen for his position on the "war on fun" to write Adam a letter... you know, like people used to do.