• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto Traffic - how do you cope?

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
Hey guys,

One of my biggest complaints about Toronto is the traffic. The massive congestion stresses me out to the point where somebody who doesn't signal or is going too slowly REALLY pisses me off.

I do require a vehicle for my job and my wife and I commute into the office together so for the time being this is my reality. Do you guys suffer from the same rage? If so how to you control it?

I really want to work on relaxing more on my drive in and not raging at all of the people around me who seem to not know how to drive or know where they're going.

I currently listen to chill music and try to do deep relaxing breathing when stopped etc.

Maui

TRIBE Member
If you've left early enough to make it to work on time then what is your hurry? Why would you care how fast your going or what anyone else is doing on the road?

Your sitting in a warm comfortable environment with your favourite music playing, a nice coffee and bagel at your grasp.

Just remember gettting angry/stressed is not going to change the traffic one single bit and will only make your life miserable. So what's the point?

I recommend listening to maybe CBC radio where your listening to informative programming that makes you focus on what they are talking about and thinking yourself or learning a new language with a program you can listen to.

Maui

TRIBE Member
I was driving on the highways in the city on Saturday night. lol. Too funny, people doing 40 -60 km/hour in the fast lane. I was burnin by em in the snow covered right lane at 80 - 90. No winter tires either. Ain't nobody got time for dat! lol

Still didn't get mad though. People are just retarded basically in every facet of life. When you get older you realize this and it's too much effort to get excited about it.

kuba

TRIBE Member
try to find alternative routes perhaps that may feel a little less congested?

I don't know how people do it - I really don't. I'm blessed because I work from home and when I meet clients its always before/after rush hour. When I'm stuck in rush hour I couldn't imagine doing that daily, to/from. Hell, I'd move closer to work if I had to.

But if you and wife are in the car then perhaps that's some time you guys can plan things or whatever? I dunno, I have no other suggestions than that. Perhaps get an audio book? Learn a new language?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stryker

TRIBE Member
After taking a 10 year hiatus from driving let me tell you.... the congestion in this city has quantifiably become much, much worse.

All of this stupid shit about Rob Ford or Kathleen Wynne pisses me off because there are real tangible problems with gridlock in this city and nobody is doing anything immediately to fix the problems.

Sure subways/LRTs will help but they'll take forever to build and will cause more problems while under construction.

If I was Mayor of Everything I would take the following actions:

1. If you're on a road you need a license and insurance. Applies to cars, bicycles, e-bikes, motorized wheel chairs, etc.

2. NO PARKING ON ANY ARTERY, EVER. Yonge St, Bayview, Avenue, Shepherd, Eglinton, etc....no parking on any of them. You want to park use a parking lot. Also, the city should fund the rapid development of more parking lots

3. Drivers Licenses should cost $2,000 and they should be as hard to obtain here as they are in England

4. Cabbies need biometric starters. If you're not on the taxi license, you don't get to drive the car. And to get a license you have to know EVERY SINGLE STREET in the city, and must pass a rigorous test to prove it

5. All cars should have dash cams

6. VISIBLE photo radar

but I fear that nothing will change and it will only get worse.

To cope, I try to drive on roads instead of highways. It takes longer but I like the placebo of being able to use sideroads and alternate routes vs being stuck in a highway jam

stew

djfear

TRIBE Member
Hey guys,

One of my biggest complaints about Toronto is the traffic. The massive congestion stresses me out to the point where somebody who doesn't signal or is going too slowly REALLY pisses me off.

I do require a vehicle for my job and my wife and I commute into the office together so for the time being this is my reality. Do you guys suffer from the same rage? If so how to you control it?

I really want to work on relaxing more on my drive in and not raging at all of the people around me who seem to not know how to drive or know where they're going.

I currently listen to chill music and try to do deep relaxing breathing when stopped etc.
On rage: I don't suffer from road rage even though traffic in this city is absolutely ridiculous, and I think this is because of my general philosophy to not get upset at things I cannot realistically change. I bolded a sentence you wrote... this is really the crux of why you're raging. You can only control yourself and your vehicle, and it doesn't matter if someone can't find an address they're looking for, or they're going too slow for you - it's a reality that you need to accept in order to reduce your own stress. Know that if you can't accept that reality, you will end up hurting your own health down the road from too much stress, it's really the most logical and rightfully selfish form of thinking to have.

It's obviously not realistic advice but I moved downtown and walking distance to my work, so even though I live in a lovely shoe box I walk every day and love it - zero stress! Consider changing career & living conditions, you will be healthier and stress free for it.

Alternatives:
The absolute BEST way to commute in the City of Toronto is by bicycle - bar none. Even better than by motorcycle, which is the next thing I was going to suggest.

I would suggest using a motorcycle or scooter because you have the advantage of free parking, and riding in the parked-car lane completely legally, and if you're absolutely fed up with the traffic you say fuck everyone and filter or lane split, though this is highly illegal and I do not condone it!!! :p

But it's winter now and you said you have to drive for work... here are some hard truths that I have learned:

(1) The highway is 95% faster than driving on lakeshore or don mills because there are no lights. Take the highway. City streets are naturally slower.

(2) There is now bi-directional rush hour traffic. Live downtown but work in Mississauga? You're still getting fucked. Leave at 6:30am. Your commute home will suck regardless.

(3) Learn which streets are under construction.

(4) Richmond & Adelaide are the best arteries to drive through the downtown core, though current construction is ruining that right now.

(5) Get another job, there really is no other way, the traffic nightmare your experiencing is real and you're not going to wake up from it. :O

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I live in Leslieville and drive to work in Etobicoke half the week. First, the idea of "against the grain" is completely gone. In fact I'd argue alot of days its worse leaving the city than coming in. Second, I swear if I don't get on the highway by 7:31 I might as well wait until 8:30 as I'll get to work 10 minutes later than if I had left earlier.

I blame Liberty Village.

stryker

TRIBE Member
No. One of the advantages of riding a bike is that you don't need a license or insurance.
sure...if you want to ride on trails or in parks. But if you're going to bring your bicycle on a roads that have cars, trucks, streetcars, pedestrians, etc...then you should have to prove:

a- you know the rules of the road
b- can be held accountable if/when you break those rules

I drive and cycle and people may not want to hear it but IMO the people on bicycles are the biggest jerks out there.

Driving is a privilege not a right. The same should go for anyone who wants to use public roads. It's your right to ride around on grass and on your own property but if you chose to interact with the public at large you need to be regulated like everything else on the road.

stew

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
a- you know the rules of the road
b- can be held accountable if/when you break those rules

stew
a- tons of people are licensed, yet do not obey the rules.
b- everyone is held accountable, if they're caught, via a ticket or court date.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
After having suffered the commuting nightmare via various locales in ontario, and mostly in Toronto, it really depends on a bunch of factors.

Firstly i understand getting pissed and annoyed and wanting to commit mass genocide on the entire 400 series highways.

since im not omnipotent and cannot ' do away ' with all those wonderful people -_- then you basically are left to determining what the major issues are when driving to work.

In respect to Rage, i find music, Audio books or Podcasts that keep you mentally invested while allowing you to focus on driving are the best. I would suggest smoking a bowl but that is illegal and shouldnt be done * wink wink *

Also what time do you have to be at work? is it static every day, or can you show up when ' you ' need to and leave when ' you ' need to ? does your wife's schedule line up with yours, is it flexible?

if you are not leaving early enough to avoid the traffic, consider if you can starting your work day earlier. Or maybe go in early and go to the gym, or something that could be added to your morning routine that would give you reason to get in early enough to avoid traffic.

often times as people have said, routes make all the difference, but many try and save time by using alternate traffic veins etc, and usually barring 2 lane closures and funneling cars into one lane, the highway even jam packed is generally faster.

i dont commute into the city daily, but once maybe twice a week it happens. for me to avoid traffic i have to either leave at 5:30 am or 930 am, and if i want to avoid it going back then leaving at 330pm or 7-730pm in the afternoon is the only way i can avoid traffic.

its pretty ridiculous. but if you cant find work elsewhere and cant work from home, its the price you have to pay.

are you able to go train in?

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Bad advice but I use to be a road rager until I decided that I cannot let morons ruin my day. I use to be happy to call someone on when they pissed me off to a point. I then realized I am likely the culprit of moron acts on that roads at times myself....I think we all are. We are all selfish drivers when you look at the bigger picture.

We all have to get where were going so just try to relax and enjoy the ride with as little frustration as possible.

Slamming on the horn, calling him an idiot or getting into an argument is not going to change the situation so you might as well just brush it off and carry on.

kuba

TRIBE Member
If I was Mayor of Everything I would take the following actions:

Agree 100%, not about the motorized wheelchair, but everything else.

You can't argue for more parking lots when condo developers have bought them all.

Agree licences should be harder to get - will never happen.

No cab driver could know every single street in the city, ever. Not a chance, you're dreaming.

...and, you're on a roll today!!

stryker

TRIBE Member
So licenses and insurance for pedestrians too then right?
If pedestrians are walking on roads, then yes. That's the line in the sand. If you use the roads (not the sidewalks, or parks, or trails) then you need a license and insurance. Just like every other vehicle out there.

The cyclists might be "jerks" but its hard to kill someone being irresponsible on a bike.
are serious? Assholes on bicycles are the ones causing the problems. With this exact attitude. "'I'm on a bike, you're in the wrong, so watch where I'm going". nonsense. Cyclist don't follow the rules and get run over and then the driver has to deal with a lifetime of trauma because of it. Look at what happened to Bryant. Some junkie fuckhead jumps on his car, acts totally out of line, gets himself killed and now Bryant's career is over.

I don't think it's out of line to expect that anyone sharing the road with cars and trucks should have to have similar regulations and accountability.

Kuba....not totally serious about the motorized wheelchairs, but something has to be done. I watched this guys almost run over a little kid last week trying to barrel through rush hour pedestrians. Not so much as a honk of the horn.

stew

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
are serious? Assholes on bicycles are the ones causing the problems. With this exact attitude. "'I'm on a bike, you're in the wrong, so watch where I'm going". nonsense. Cyclist don't follow the rules and get run over and then the driver has to deal with a lifetime of trauma because of it. Look at what happened to Bryant. Some junkie fuckhead jumps on his car, acts totally out of line, gets himself killed and now Bryant's career is over.

I don't think it's out of line to expect that anyone sharing the road with cars and trucks should have to have similar regulations and accountability.
Dood, not ALL cyclists are like that, by your same logic the one off assholes in cars that run over a cyclist and kill them, or break most of the bones in their body is representative of all drivers.

dont be fucking obtuse.

MOST cyclists in toronto are respectful and probably know the rules of the road better than MOST drivers, and PAY WAY more attention to their surroundings due to the fact that we cant HURT PEOPLE IN CARS.

ohhh the trauma a driver must suffer for killing someone. thats just mental.
EVERYONE suffers from something like that... especially the DEAD person.

but to charge cyclists insurance ??? wtf? they are already accountable for the same moving violations? how much would you charge? isnt is based upon the make of the worth of the vehicle, and the liability of what you can do to someone in a car????

how do you kill someone in a car on your bike?

what more do you want thats not absurdism taken to a new level...????

Last edited:

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member

You had me at poor Bryant!

Who is running over these renegade cyclists again? oh yeah, people in cars! The point remains that it's hard to kill someone with a bike, and easy with a car. SO. That said, because its easier to kill someone with a car the solution is obviously to insure the cyclists. "The get out of my way" strategy. Also known as "get off the road, fag" once you get out of town a bit

Why do you think cyclists aren't accountable? You can get a ticket on a bike whether or not you have a license (well except for maybe a ticket for not having a license) What would you insure someone for on a bike anyhow? PLPD? Do you anticipate a lot of claims for PLPD on a bike? Like if you lost control and crashed it through a packed bus shelter. Imagine the carnage. Some folks might even fucking notice if they could look up from their phones for half a second.

And BTW, "poor" Bryant is now chair of the body that oversees accountants in Ontario, working for the government. I bet it barely pays 150G/year. The other guy is still dead.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I was driving on the highways in the city on Saturday night. lol. Too funny, people doing 40 -60 km/hour in the fast lane. I was burnin by em in the snow covered right lane at 80 - 90. No winter tires either. Ain't nobody got time for dat! lol
Seriously?

:rolleyes:

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I live in Leslieville and drive to north-west Mississauga for work. How do I cope? I'm lucky that I can work from home allowing me to stagger my commute to before or after rush hour.

However, if I'm leaving work at 5pm on one of those nightmare days in the summer where there's a Jays game, a TFC game and concert at the Amphitheater, plus let's add in a lane closure on the Gardiner, I'm looking at 1.5+ hours to get home. On those days I rely heavily on talk radio to get me through it.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
There was one in the past few years in Toronto too. So that makes two that I've heard of. I wonder how many folks have died from being hit by a car in the past few years in Toronto. Oh yeah. A WHOLE BUNCH MORE!

I don't think anyone would disagree that the streets belong to everyone. That's precisely why to operate a motor vehicle you need a license and insurance- due to the dangerous nature of the activity.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, drivers decided that the roads were for them alone and therefore everyone else should either get off the road, or have to pay the same dues that they do. It's backwards thinking, and just by saying "driving is a privilege not a right" while condoning everyone else get off the road they are being hypocritical.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories