• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto teacher gets "scary" bus stop ads nixed

KiFe

TRIBE Member
killzone2.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5168672/toronto-killzone-2-ads-pulled-due-to-menacing-head

Complaints about images of war and violence have caused Sony to pull around 300 Killzone 2 advertisements from bus shelters in Toronto, Canada.

School teacher Davis Mirza is partially responsible for the ads being removed, having emailed Sony Computer Entertainment Canada after seeing shocking images of a "menacing head with glowing eyes" and scenes of war "like Iraq".

"My kids, who come from a lot of different countries, who have to experience violence, who basically come here to seek shelter and safety, that's the stuff they don't need to see," said the Grade 4/5 teacher at Pauline Johnson Junior Public School

Councilor Pam McConnell's office also requested that similar ads be removed from the Regent Park area of Toronto. Rather than deal with more whining, Sony went ahead and pulled all 300 ads from the area yesterday - several days before they were scheduled to come down anyway.

I'm not sure what surprises me the most here. The fact that Sony actually capitulated, or the fact that a school teacher things Helghan looks like Iraq.

Quoted from Kotaku.com.

other18.gif

The teacher (pictured here) was quoted as saying "won't someone please think of the children"

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
I actually agree with this.
I dont know about the whole iraq kids from war countries things but that picture is scary.
if i was little kid it would be something that could give me nightmares.
kids dont get to be kids anymore, and they should. the game is probably not made for "little kids" so it shouldnt be where they can see it. adults, who I assume the game is made for, have enough resources to find out what the latest kill people violently video game is.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
kids dont get to be kids anymore, and they should.

img.php

But i was a kid once... and that movie poster for Steven King's IT frightened me!
Who are we to deny children from being afraid of murderous clowns and/or foot soldiers with tactically-flawed glowing eyes?

Don't these ads also have the potential for reminding children of war?

2677578974_9474ec94fd.jpg

2609582314_ed1c003424.jpg

Last edited:

KiFe

TRIBE Member
6957mld_20.jpeg

This one is good too, it's even got guns up in that shit.

Killzone... well.. that guy could easily be ridding our schools of asbestos, or giving little timmy o'toole's playroom a fresh coat of lead-free paint!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
1. ok touche
2. I dont think you were THAT young when IT came out
3. Its kinda different tho, theres not that many scary clown killers roaming around town. this guy is saying many kids are coming from countries where they have seen guys in gas masks, and helmets with weapons roaming around their streets, killing their friends and family. they dont need to be reminded of that. war is real, scary clowns are just the odd serial killer.
4. that is a movie, not a video where you get to be the person, do the act, actually live it, role play. i didnt state that very well, but I just think its kinda different.
5. i do agree clowns are fucking scary and they should banned from the world too.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
So we're in agreement then, Ronald McDonald, as spokesperson and mascot must be banished from print-media.

You write the formal letter, I'll proofread.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
ok youre army one.
1. not quite right either. makes it look all exciting like a movie or video game poster.
2. i forgot what else i was gonna say.
3. the army is a real thing. THE real thing. A job. so you make video games and posters and stuff and that look like that, it takes away from the real army thing, makes it seem like joining the army is gonna be just like playing a video game. its fucks with peoples brain and realities and perception.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
So we're in agreement then, Ronald McDonald, as spokesperson and mascot must be banished from print-media.

You write the formal letter, I'll proofread.

100%.

the hamburgler will be the new official leader of the mcD's enterprise.
hamburgler.jpg

KiFe

TRIBE Member
ok youre army one.
1. not quite right either. makes it look all exciting like a movie or video game poster.
2. i forgot what else i was gonna say.
3. the army is a real thing. THE real thing. A job. so you make video games and posters and stuff and that look like that, it takes away from the real army thing, makes it seem like joining the army is gonna be just like playing a video game. its fucks with peoples brain and realities and perception.

So we're in agreement then?

Dirty Girl shall be banished as member and contributor to tribe discussions.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
and the bus pictures:
of course they do, but nowhere near as much as those other things.
they are recruiting for a job, a job that protects our country. the people that defend us during war times. the people that went over to probably help that persons country during their wartimes.
its not turning it into a joke, a game, a good time with your pals, a place where the more people you kill the more points you get.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
So we're in agreement then?

Dirty Girl shall be banished as member and contributor to tribe discussions.

im sorry there must be something wrong with my computer I CANT HEAR YOU!!!
funny-pictures-beaver-cant-hear-you.jpg

and dont look to me to help you when you lie bleeding on the ground cause some deluded child guns you down on the street after playing some violent video game. cause i will just point and laugh and say "bet you wish they didnt have those posters now eh buddy"

Last edited:

KiFe

TRIBE Member
You're supposed to be covering the children's EYES... you can't hear a scary poster.

But keep working at it, you're on your way, ms. lovejoy. :)

JamesM

TRIBE Member
this ad was right by my work. I thought. Ooh scary. another video game.

come to think of it though. I did not see it today.

could be power of suggestion.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
wow...

impressive work darling!

People have been banned from this board for colouring brown crayon on less offensive photos, but for some reason, i feel like you'll get away with this one. :)

as a side note, that first picture would make great cover-art for the next Bubble bobble game.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
DG you remind me of this friend i have and at one point he liked nothing more than forward all these fucking lame videos of people getting hit by trains.

I passed, afterawhile.

oh thanks man, another?