• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

toronto subway closed eglinton to st clair for 8 WEEKS

kuba

TRIBE Member
..in 2014..

..unless the idiots running the ttc can't find a way to fix the tracks at other times..

that's insane for commuters

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
..in 2014..

..unless the idiots running the ttc can't find a way to fix the tracks at other times..

that's insane for commuters

This must be for the 'signal work' they were talking about. The new bendy buses to the rescue!

kuba

TRIBE Member
The tracks from 1940s need repair/replacement.

Couldn't they do it overnight over 8 months not 8 weeks? If the subway doesn't run for 6-8 hours surely they can do it in spades no?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The tracks from 1940s need repair/replacement.

Couldn't they do it overnight over 8 months not 8 weeks? If the subway doesn't run for 6-8 hours surely they can do it in spades no?

Maybe working at night is too inconvenient for the TTC construction crews.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I think it's the sheer scale and character of the work that's the problem. if the system closes at 1:30am, and then reopens at 6, that's only 4 and a half hours to get the required equipment and people in there and get something done. Also, this particular stretch of track runs above ground right in the middle of a densely populated residential area. They can't be slinging 40-foot lengths of iron track and doing spot welds and hammering bolts in the dead of night. Just can't.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Yeah i heard this...that's going to be a shitty commute. I might just start walking down to St.Clair (i live at Eglinton). Might be a good way to get some exercise. :)

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Well, New York's subway system fell apart after about 70 years. It went from being the prettiest most nicest system on earth to total shit. Delays, delays, delays...

How old is our subway now? The TTC won't get nearly as bad as 1970s NYC, but I get the feeling that we are doing the minimum. And the minimum does not include aesthetics. Those stations are getting damn ugly.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I think it's the sheer scale and character of the work that's the problem. if the system closes at 1:30am, and then reopens at 6, that's only 4 and a half hours to get the required equipment and people in there and get something done. Also, this particular stretch of track runs above ground right in the middle of a densely populated residential area. They can't be slinging 40-foot lengths of iron track and doing spot welds and hammering bolts in the dead of night. Just can't.
their problem for buying a property by a subway track, sorry

Liability

TRIBE Member
their problem for buying a property by a subway track, sorry
So by your logic, developers should be able to build in the city during any hour of the day. Oh well, you bought in the city, sorry.

Complaining about subway noise is one thing, this is another thing that is completely outside of the expected noise for the area.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I remember when people bought condos in the club district then complained that there were clubs there.

kuba

TRIBE Member
yes, those people are idiots don't you think?

those same people who live along the corridor can have it one of two ways;

1. put up with an eight week shutdown from eglinton to st clair
2. put up with noise at night

can't have it both ways, which would you choose?

not to mention that the majority of people won't be affected

Lojack

TRIBE Member
The truth is, from an engineering standpoint, a four hour window each night won't cut it. Not only are they replacing the rails, but they have to rebuild the ground beneath it. That means tearing it up, and laying new cement later. Cement doesn't cure in four hours (at least not enough to handle the weight of subways trains constantly running on it).

kuba

TRIBE Member
Understood, good point, maybe they could kill the subway early then say 8pm, not kill it during rush hour? Surely there's a workaround btu I understand the engineering stand point

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
here's the thing. If they go hell bent for eight weeks, they can work 7am to 7pm and get 12 hours out of each day. if they only work at night, that's 4.5 hrs each day - so only a third of the work would be done in the same amount of time... so doing it at night would mean that the work would take SIX MONTHS....

derek

TRIBE Member
you mean for unionized staff who work from 9:01am to 4:29pm? ONLY?
more to do with scale of project and limted time the line shuts down at night. FYI maintenance is 24 hrs, while they may only have 8hrs shifts they start at all hours.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
the most egregious thing about this is that this piece of track has been needing to be replaced for literally 2.5 years. every time the temperature gets hot they get a slow order and slow down...every time the temperature gets cold they get a slow order and slow down.

its like there is maybe a 6 week window in spring and a 6 week window in the fall when the temperature is *just right* and the trains can move faster than 1km/hr in that section.

the TTC knew that these outdoor tracks had a finit life and didnt plan for their replacement financially. the slow order was in place for ~6 months back in 2011 and i bitched at them enough on twitter that one of their CS people explained to me what needed to be done. now fast forward to today, 2013, literally 22 months after i had that conversation and STILL nothing has been done, only now the TTCs "company line" is that the work now needs to be done in tandem with the signal issues on lower yonge and that money has to be spent there too.

tl;dr the TTC is a clusterfuck

Last edited:

videotronic

TRIBE Member
the "signal issues" are a whole other ballgame. the TTC closed for entire weekends numerous times over the summer to install new signals on the bottom of the YUS loop. guess how many "signal problems on the YUS line causing delays" ive heard so far *just this week alone*??

like how can we clone a sheep but not have a better way to run a subway than signals? how can a house be renovated in 3 days for a reality TV show but the TTC takes literally 8 months to fix a fucking escalator. A FUCKING ESCALATOR!!!

acheron

TRIBE Member
complain to higher levels of government, then, about the funding they're not giving the TTC. all of this comes down to money, and the fact that we depend on the fare box for 75% of the TTC's funding.