1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Toronto Star stirs up anti beach party hysteria

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Aug 30, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

First raves, now they have turned their hysteria spotlight on beach parties.

Summer, kids and the parties on the beach - thestar.com

Its a vicious cycle. The police tell the Star to write the story, then the police chief takes the article to the Monday morning planning meeting and tells his officers that these beach parties must be stopped because its all over the papers.

2. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

uh oh, sounds like they might be bringing in the riot police like they did that time to break up the Promise Cherry beach party.

3. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Don't know how much of the article is actual fact, and how much is simply fear mongering, but if people that can't handle their booze are getting so stupid drunk that they don't even know how to cross the street, then they need to get better. Smashing bottles in parks/on the beach is also fucking lame, people should grow the fuck up and take some responsibility for their actions or else eventually all of the fun things to do will be patrolled by cops.

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

there was a group of people in trinity bellwoods yesterday, most of them were probably university educated, they looked to be in their late 20s early 30s - and they were having a few drinks. then this guy with a gun showed up, riding his motorcycle of all things, into the park and stopped right beside them. then he gave them fines for drinking.

5. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Well, that's lame.

6. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Bet they can't wait to try out their fancy new sound cannon!

7. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I don't see the problem with the cops dealing with issues like beach parties when the people involved have clearly lost respect for their community. Drinking in public, too - water-closet-guy didn't mention whether the people 'having a few drinks' were drinking discreetly or if someone had complained about their behaviour. Keep that shit low-key and no one complains, cops don't come around.

8. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Fuck the star does shitty reporting like this ALL of the time.

9. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

agreed, keep it low key, keep it descret. Ive been to the beaches and Island Beaches enough time to notice people completely wreaked on the beach. Only irks me I guess if kids are around.

10. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

yeah in a failed mission to Cherry Beach we ended up drinking in Trinity Bellwoods yesterday evening and noticed a cop on a motorcycle cruising around giving tickets to people with booze. luckily we had our spill proof thermoses and were under the radar.

11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i think once you hit your late 20's you either stop partying, or, you just know how to di it really well...! lol

12. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

exactly. you either get better with age or you stop trying.

13. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

wow, just when i thought the cops are becoming tolerant to these events..... :(

14. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

cherry beach that is...

what a shame kids have to attract attn. to themselves being fools.

15. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Broken glass everywhere, people pissing on the stairs, you know they just don't care

16. erika

erika TRIBE Member

And of course, we get back to a large part of the underlying cause, which is the stupid drinking legislation in Ontario.
    If it weren't controlled in such a paternalistic way, people wouldn't be so obsessed with working around it.
    I used to hang out in parks as a teenager in France; it never even occurred to us to take booze with us because we had wine on the table for dinner and could get served a beer in a cafe if we wanted one.

17. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

Went to several beach parties in high-school during the 1990's. If memory serves me correct they usually ended up being busted.

A slow municipal news-week after a nutty stretch regarding the election.

Don't panic.

18. squidly

squidly TRIBE Member

They tried to do the same thing when Tom Jacobek was the councillor for the beaches area and it failed miserably. terrible pr for the police to beef up presence in a low crime neighborhood just to harass kids drinking mikes hard lemonade on a friday night. While tragic that this young guy died, it could have happened at any intersection where there is a bus line.

19. derek

derek TRIBE Member

in the 80s you didn't have to worry about getting busted at cherry beach, you worried that's where the clowns from 55 division would take you and dumb you in the lake for shits & giggles.

a few people i know went for a swim (usually nabbed for drinking underage, peace disturbance, etc). easier than completing all the paperwork.

20. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega TRIBE Member

It sure would be nice if some of you learned how to read. Here are a few excerpts from that (admittedly poorly written) Star piece. Behold, the big bad cops in action:

----------------
    There was nothing unusual about the impromptu party, police say. Beach parties, bush parties, ravine parties, valley parties — they aren’t new, and they aren’t exclusive to the Beach, Const. Wendy Drummond, a spokesperson for the Toronto Police, said in an interview.

Community Response Units, including bicycle officers, patrol the likely areas......

This past Friday.....Close to 11 p.m., a group of teens confronted a man who seemed to assault a 17-year-old girl. As if on cue, a posse of bicycle cops rolled in. Kids scattered, but the man inexplicably tried to get on a parked police bike. Next thing he knew, the 31-year-old was in the back of a squad car.

“If high school kids are coming down here and there’s grown men, it’s not good,” said Sgt. Mike Williams, ushering teens back to the well-lit part of the Beach.

---------------

Sounds like pretty responsible policing to me. Institutionally, they seem aware that hundreds of kids gather regularly at these things, and accordingly they maintain a presence. Which turned out to be fortunate this evening when a teenage girl was apparently assaulted by a 31 year old man. Or when a possibly intoxicated teenage boy tried to outrun a moving bus.

The only hysteria here is to be found in the bizarre thread title.

21. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

totally off topic:

when i lived in the beaches, my apartment was 2 houses down from a place that he bought and renovated worth 2 million. He was outside usually every other day or so watching the construction.

i remember walking by one day up towards queen street and said to him "so that's what that computer deal kickback money is going into...."

he didnt even acknowledge my existence. lol

22. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I just biked down to the beach and there is a Toronto Police Emergency Task Force vehicle parked under a tree by the bathing station (most visible location on the beach i guess) with 2 Swat guys in full gear sitting in it, earning their pay. A nice new shiny vehicle too - courtesy of G20 $$$.

You just know they want to rappel out of helicopters onto the beach but I assume it is too hot for that today.

23. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

Reason comes down with the force of Thor's hammer!

24. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

Beach parties are great and all... hell, there was nothing I loved doing more in the summers of youth than bringing a 12 pack to the beach, lighting a bonfire, and relaxing with a group of friends.

From a police perspective however, they have every right to break up these types of parties. Typically they'll either take place on public property or on someone else's private property. And you throw in illegal alcohol use and drug use, what are the police to do?

I think we do live in a nanny state that should be more lenient on things like this. But if we really want that, we should be focusing our attention on changing the law and not changing the fact that police will/should respond to a situation of criminal activity.

And yes... I'm sure Toronto Police are living freakin large now with all the G20 toys they got to buy. Fuckin' Harper.

25. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

I remember Utah