• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto Star Article: Should I Do Drugs?

sugar

TRIBE Member
It's nice to see some acknowledgement publicly by someone from CAMH that not all drug use is considered abuse.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
"I believe very few people become addicted to a drug like cocaine, not only because it's expensive, but because most people who come from a solid background, have solid friendships and a life plan aren't going to start using it every day," says Wolfe. "It's totally recreational in that sense."

"The ones who tend to get in trouble with it tend to have other risk factors, and if they don't get in trouble with that, they'll probably get in trouble with something else."
why is this so difficult for some people to believe?

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
Drugs have been reversed-marketed to us by schools, police, and the media all of our lives. It's hard to de-program some people.

The conspiracy theorist in my believes that we have cigarette and liquor companies to blame for North America's drug hysteria. These things cut in on their turf so they lobby for strict drug laws.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
What really to this day bugs me... growing up with an Alcoholic.

Is the fact when they had drug talks, they never talked much about Alcohol ...

When it's the most abused one out there ...

pr0nstar

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
/\/\/\

I totally agree with you. Alcohol and cigarettes are so much more addictive than a bunch of stuff out there and alcohol is down right dangerous to your state of mind and body.

When I'm drunk I have to really control myself into not driving because when I'm drunk I don't feel drunk and I feel like I can drive. That's fucked! When I'm on e I know that I should be no where near a car. The high of the drug seems to police itself.

If I was made to be scared of booze half as much as I was made to fear weed then maybe I wouldn't be so comfortable drinking every other day as I am.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
"A certain amount of drug experimentation is developmentally normal."

Not only is it normal, it can actually be a good thing. "There's some research that suggests that kids who don't experiment at all have some other social adjustment problems," says Wolfe. "It's one of those cases where too much is a bad thing and too little doesn't mean that you're necessarily healthy either."

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Skipper
Selection bias: The general public sees only the negative cases, since nobody can go around saying,"Well, at least 100 people that I know personally have recreationally used cocaine or mdma or marijuana or amphetamines or etc... and there were no problems..."

As usual though, by having this posted on tribe, it's preaching to the choir ;)

redeyes

TRIBE Member
nice intro:

Two things were certain for anyone who grew up in the Eighties:

1) If you experimented with sex, you'd end up with AIDS, and 2) if you experimented with drugs, you'd end up covered in scabs in an east end-crack house, soliciting $5 tricks for junk cut with rat poison.

nice article.

nate

TRIBE Member
it is nice to have a young writer speak objectively. drugs are bad to some and great to others. how many times have you wondered what life would be like had you not taken that 'e' or smoked that joint. pretty fucking boring thats for sure. if you can handle it than why not do it.

derek

TRIBE Member
refined sugar is a drug, caffine is a drug, cigarettes are drug, and alcohol is a drug. they legal because they are a large part of the economy, and the pyshoactive effects are mild.

drugs which threaten to change you perception from the status quo are demonized and made illegal not because they are deadly, but because the threaten established beliefs.

peace,

derek

lucky1

TRIBE Member
When the cops cme to our school they bought the board with all the fake drugs on it. Then a bunch got stolen (pried off) and the had to label them as imitation drugs.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by redeyes
nice intro:

Two things were certain for anyone who grew up in the Eighties:

1) If you experimented with sex, you'd end up with AIDS, and 2) if you experimented with drugs, you'd end up covered in scabs in an east end-crack house, soliciting $5 tricks for junk cut with rat poison.

nice article.
If you experiment with voting for Reagan, you'll end up with an IQ of around 25!!

Mz. SPy

TRIBE Member
Well at least this voices what I have been thinking all along. Taking drugs is not the worst thing you can do in life and if you can handle it anyone should be able to experiment when the time is right. I really thought in high school that if you did coke once you would be fucked for the rest of your life and this is sooo not the case, I mean its pretty fucking hard in my eyes to get addicted to cocaine. You would have to do it a lot for that to happen.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Drug abuse is caused by prior emotional/ psychological issues. I fucking hate when addicts cry about how horrible the drugs are. "Boo Hoo, McDonalds made me fat" Fuck Off you baby! Go cry to Oprah! Don't blame the drugs for your addiction if your Father abused you or your husband left you for a younger woman!

This is the word of Logic!!
Thanks be to whomever you believe in!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Mz. SPy
I mean its pretty fucking hard in my eyes to get addicted to cocaine. You would have to do it a lot for that to happen.
Same with cigarettes... it takes a concerted effort to get hooked.

The problem with assigning addictive properties to drugs is that people do not have to take responsibility for their actions, since they only made that ONE mistake, i.e. trying the drug... after that, IT'S OUT OF THEIR HANDS, MAN...IT'S SOOOOO ADDICTIVE...

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by nate
it is nice to have a young writer speak objectively. drugs are bad to some and great to others. how many times have you wondered what life would be like had you not taken that 'e' or smoked that joint. pretty fucking boring thats for sure. if you can handle it than why not do it.
i dunno about that. i find lots to do without drugs, maybe you're just boring.

edit: i'm not saying that it was a good or bad thing that i ever experimented. just that i dunno if i would've really turned out that different if had i chose not to. maybe it opened my eyes a little wider, but i really don't think that it's had that significant an affect on my life.

Last edited:

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Interesting, vinder, since I estimate that all the drugs I took had the same therapeutic effect on me as probably 5 years of intense therapy.

You think my head's a bit screwy now? Imagine if I hadn't of taken all those drugs: I'd be typing this from a jail cell, or from beyond the grave.

In other words, all y'all have drugs to thank for having me around. AND THAT'S A GOOD THING, RIGHT? DON'T MAKE ME GO CONKERS BONKERS AT THE PHRONIX.

Mz. SPy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Same with cigarettes... it takes a concerted effort to get hooked.

The problem with assigning addictive properties to drugs is that people do not have to take responsibility for their actions, since they only made that ONE mistake, i.e. trying the drug... after that, IT'S OUT OF THEIR HANDS, MAN...IT'S SOOOOO ADDICTIVE...
I agree.

Drugs do have an addictive property to them. Animals will self administer heroin but that takes a lot of conditioning. And there are studies that show that animals will administer heroin over eating and die of starvation but that is after long periods of physical addiction.