• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto rochester ferry Who cares

swilly

TRIBE Member
High-speed ferry leaves Australia
Ship will accommodate about 750 walk-on passengers and up to 220 cars and 10 trucks and buses

CANADIAN PRESS

The twin-hull Spirit of Ontario ferry - slated to sail regularly between Toronto and Rochester, N.Y. - left Australia today for a six-week voyage across the Pacific.
The ferry will slip through the Panama Canal, the St. Lawrence Seaway and Lake Ontario before arriving in Rochester in early April to begin crew training and other preparations.

Taking the helm of the ferry this spring when it arrives in Lake Ontario will be John A. Williams, the Canadian American Transportation Systems also announced today.

Williams' last position was as chief officer of the Westpac Express, a high-speed Japanese passenger vessel operating in support of the U.S. Third Marine Expeditionary Force in the Far East and Western Pacific Region. He was educated at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, N.Y.

Williams will be one of three captains operating the Spirit of Ontario, which completed rigorous sea trials before beginning its Pacific voyage from the Austal Ships yard in Perth, Australia.

The 85-metre-long ship was deemed fully seaworthy, but will cross the Pacific at less than its top speed of nearly 80 kilometres per hour.

"We are really excited about this border crossing," said Howard Thomas, president of Canadian American Transportation Systems.

"This service will begin a whole new luxury border crossing experience between New York State and Ontario."

Service is expected to begin in May. New York Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is expected to be aboard for the first crossing.

The ship is designed to accommodate about 750 walk-on passengers, and up to 220 cars and 10 trucks and buses.

Early test runs clocked the trips across Lake Ontario at about two hours and 15 minutes.

A contest held earlier this month to name the ferry drew nearly 25,000 entries including Torro, Torch, Torchester, Rocco and Roctor. The winning name will be decided later this month.

The ferry has a restaurant, a bar, two movie theatres and a children's play area.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

swilly

TRIBE Member
I am a 4th year geographer and i can safely say i dont know where rochestor is
who even goes there and why would they?
I heard clubbing is shit over there isnt that the only reason people travel?
oh well stupid yanks
swilly

poker face

TRIBE Member
^^^ You would actually be surprised at some of the dj's that role through Rochester.

Also it would cut down your drive a lot if you were traveling through the states. It takes approximately 4 hours without border back up right now as it is.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
you haven't heard of rochester?

i mean it's not exactly the nicest place in the world, but ummmm it's a prominent city in new york state.

this ferry is for the purpose of eliminating travel time between toronto/new york isn't it? not about showcasing the beauties of rochester (shudder).

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swilly
I am a 4th year geographer and i can safely say i dont know where rochestor is
who even goes there and why would they?

hehe, i hope you're joking.

it's not that rochester necessarilly will be the final destination for those on the ferry, but it cuts straight across the lake rather than having to go all the way around it.

still, i don't know anyone who plans on using the service...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

exheres

TRIBE Member
This is a great idea, i don't know why more people aren't behind this venture. Anyone who has ever driven to New York would appreciate a reduction in trip time of 1 hour that this ferry would facilitate. <<<<hate this word but it was the only one i could come up with

Besides, it would be cool in the summer to take your girl or guy on a lake trip. sure beats a ride on the ferry to centre island or these damn expensive lake tour boats. :D

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
its nice to see an american city taking so much interest in us.

and mabey they will start fast ferry service,
from the ports to hamilton or up the st. lawence to ottowa and mo-town.......

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spinsah

this ferry is for the purpose of eliminating travel time between toronto/new york isn't it? not about showcasing the beauties of rochester (shudder).

It takes about 2 1/2 hours to drive to Rochester.

So this would cut about 15 minutes off the trip but cost about 3 times as much to get there.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
It takes about 2 1/2 hours to drive to Rochester.

So this would cut about 15 minutes off the trip but cost about 3 times as much to get there.

But not require me to drive.

Personally I like driving, but if I was going to Manhatten and had the choice of the ferry I would take it. Yes its a little pricey, but I still would preffer to drive than fly to New York city.

2 1/2 to Rochester is a little optomistic isn't it? I thought it was more realistic with the border crossing and all to call it 3 1/2.

Regardless this makes New York City the same drive as Montreal almost. I would most deffinately use this service. But I don't think it will be a financial success story...

swilly

TRIBE Member
i hope to god no canadian funds are being used for this

If we have money to send more yanks in here then we have money for a high speed rail service

swilly

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
But not require me to drive.

Personally I like driving, but if I was going to Manhatten and had the choice of the ferry I would take it. Yes its a little pricey, but I still would preffer to drive than fly to New York city.

2 1/2 to Rochester is a little optomistic isn't it? I thought it was more realistic with the border crossing and all to call it 3 1/2.

Regardless this makes New York City the same drive as Montreal almost. I would most deffinately use this service. But I don't think it will be a financial success story...

270 km. Pete and I made it there in about 2 hr 50min but we got lost for a bit when we missed our Spencerport cutoff

(shakes fist at spencerport!)

And again, sure. It wouldn't require one to drive. But I doubt paying 3 times as much is worth the 2-3 hour "not having to drive that portion of the trip" luxury.

We're talking $35 in gas vs. $60 for the car plus $20 per person for the ferry.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
270 km. Pete and I made it there in about 2 hr 50min but we got lost for a bit when we missed our Spencerport cutoff
The ferry definitely has an advantage during rush hour, though. You cannot travel 270 km in 2.5 hours unless you are driving over 100 km/h the entire way.

bucky

TRIBE Member
hey don't make fun of Spencerport, thats the name of the road i live on!! lol

Rob, there aren't nearly as many fires in Rochester as North Tonawanda, so you'd be a little bit disappointed.

Most people around 18-25 that seem to say "this ferry is crap" aren't thinking very broad... it's probably going to boost tourism in Toronto a bit, more people who wouldn't normally want to drive 4 hours from Central New York to Toronto will now find it easier to hop on the ferry. There's also A LOT more to New York State than run down cities, fires, and chicken wings. But, I doubt most people around here wouldn't have much interest, hence the ferry doesn't interest them.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Out of curiosity, where is it docking (so I can standfast with my paintball gun).

I believe near The Docks actually.

Last time I drove to Rochester I got stuck on bridge construction and it took hours...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bucky

Rob, there aren't nearly as many fires in Rochester as North Tonawanda, so you'd be a little bit disappointed.

Awwwwww!

Oh Keith! Has the kid arrived yet?!

TRIBE Member
I can see this boosting tourism in TO a bit, which is pretty cool.

But seriously. How many people who live in Toronto are going to visit lovely downtown Rochester? They'll do it maybe once... then they'll be all... "what the fuck was I thinking?".

The Electrician

TRIBE Promoter
I used to play in Rochester a lot back in the day... when the parties were rockin there. The ferry is a good idea for obth cities for tourism... and it could help out their club scene a lot more... it will also be faster for use to goto New york if need be...

vox

TRIBE Member
i'm happy about this cuz my sis lives outside of rochester...so it'll make things easier for them to come visit when she has the bambino.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bucky
There's also A LOT more to New York State than run down cities, fires, and chicken wings. But, I doubt most people around here wouldn't have much interest, hence the ferry doesn't interest them.

I've heard conflicting answers. Roughly how much time would be shaved off a trip from Toronto to New York City, not counting the border?