• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto restaurants you have been too scared to try

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What's the deal with Pete's Open Kitchen on Queen Street East, just west of River Street?

I've been passing it on the streetcar for at least two decades and it's never open? Does anyone live near it? Has anyone been in it? I think it recently got a new sign, so I'm going to guess that it's not just a front.
I had a pretty good pasta there, or at the place next door. Cheap. Tasty.

C-NiCE

TRIBE Promoter
Country Style Hungarian Restaurant in the Annex, anyone been? The name throws me off and usually I'm headed elsewhere in the neighbourhood.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Country Style Hungarian Restaurant in the Annex, anyone been? The name throws me off and usually I'm headed elsewhere in the neighbourhood.

Yes! The cabbage rolls are excellent!

There used to be a similar place across the street in the 80's called blue door or something like that (near where BMV is now), that had monster sized mixed schnitzel plates... Like a 12 inch high stack of breaded fried meat of various types for 30 bucks. Now I remember... It was called the Wooden Plate! I miss that place.

octo

TRIBE Member
Ciao Wine Bar
why is this place scary?

i went. the food wasn't memorable. the service wasn't great but it wasn't pretentious. obviously it cost more than it should.

chicks seem to love that place though. i know 2 groups of chicks were organizing some sort of girls night there and i' know of another who had some sort of shower dinner thing there.

i wouldn't go back, it felt like the jack astor's of wine bars, but i didn't find it scary.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
It's good food if you're into that kinda food. The same friend who loves Schnitzel Queen also loves this place. Very nice people.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
why is this place scary?

i went. the food wasn't memorable. the service wasn't great but it wasn't pretentious. obviously it cost more than it should.

it felt like the jack astor's of wine bars, but i didn't find it scary.
what you said. an old friend is the cdc there and it would pain me in my heart of hearts to run into him, knowing he settled his culinary aspirations for a paycheque and a mgt position. the ridiculously friggin talented cook that he is *shrugs* what it is. my ace boys gotta pay bills, but still. and for a wine program in a "wine bar" in yorkville with those markups, incredibly mediocre from what i've heard. scary is relative i suppose

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I've been. Pretty much every dish is some type of meat pounded flat, breaded and deep fried, served with massive portions of carbs on the side (Rice or these weird pasta things they called dumplings). All mains come served on a large oval platter. Food was good if you like that kind of thing. We tried to order desert but it was all sold out. I remember sitting at long tables like cafeteria tables from highschool!

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I've been. Pretty much every dish is some typ of meat pounded flat, breaded and deap fried, served with massive portions of carbs on the side (Rice or these weird pasta things they called dumplings). All mains come served on a large oval platter.
This is the perfect description of the menu! And if you eat it often enough, you will look like this:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders