• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto restaurants you have been too scared to try

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Every time I am on the 501 streetcar heading past skid row, I look out at Schnitzel Queen, which has been there for as long as I can remember... I do enjoy a good schnitzel on occasion, but have always been reluctant to go in there and check it out. Has anyone tried it?

Coyote Willies, also on Queen St. East. I had a girlfriend many years ago (waves at Catherine!) who used to go there for Baked Bean Day and swore by it. I don't know if they still do baked bean day, but I have never seen anyone either enter or leave the place. Have any of you tried Coyote Willies?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
My friend loves the Queen. Willie's is good. People definitely go there at lunch and after work. Why are you scared to go into these places? Totally legit restaurants.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
I was told by a highly opinionated person that it was as good as his German-born mother's schnitzel. I had it a few times couple years back and thought it was great, but I am not schnitzel-savvy. It was not greasy, which is schnitzel rule #1 apparently.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
My friend loves the Queen. Willie's is good. People definitely go there at lunch and after work. Why are you scared to go into these places? Totally legit restaurants.
I dunno.. Some restaurants exteriors just are unappealing I guess, unless someone provided a recommendation, I would never go in. I will have to try Schnitzel Queen.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Schnitzel Queen is great, I've grabbed lunch there a bunch of times. The owners are total characters as well.

Coyote Willie's, not so much. The one and only time I went there I ordered a burrito that was taken out of the fridge whole and heated up in the microwave. Not sure how they are still in business given the changes in the area... perhaps I need to try someone else on the menu.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
IM gonna open a restaurant and name it after my one love: Shadynasty...

I'll call it, "Shadynasty's"

djfear

TRIBE Member
Not really scared to try, but definitely in "characteristic" locations...

Annie's Bar & Grill, semi-shady looking front.

Alfie's Bar & Grill - loads of interesting folk hanging around it.

I used to walk by these two places daily when I lived at queen & river. I can easily handle myself but I never went in because I had beer at home :p

And just for a laugh I'll throw in a curve ball...

I've always wanted to go here but it's always escaped me for some reason. I feel as if it's this super ritzy type of joint where people are smoking, a hot dame (yes, I have to use that word) is singing w/ a spot light on her, and some dude with too many stories is playing the piano while the gangsters in the back are taking care of their weekly business (maybe I don't want this image to end so I don't go in?)... but I know it's just a steak & seafood restaurant, hah.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I'm still waiting for agentRC4 (I thinik) or Bernnie Federko to take me to the Linsmore. I kinda wanna it to be my regular since it's right near me. Though I still have my Wild Wings.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I ate once at Coyote Willies. I had the chili and it tasted like it came from a can. I wouldn't say it was scary but I wouldn't go back.

And the Linsmore is the kind of place you go to by yourself, not "with people".

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
About 2 years ago I finally had lunch with a buddy of mine in Leslieville's notorious Gale's Snack Bar (located at the corner of Carlaw/Eastern). As discussed in several threads on Chowhound it is arguably the cheapest diner in all of the GTA. Seriously, I don't think I've eaten at a greasy spoon with lower prices than this place.

Haven't been back to actually eat in the diner again, but I've definitely returned several times for takeout and brought the food back home. ;)

http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/galessnackbar

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
And the Linsmore is the kind of place you go to by yourself, not "with people".
I would feel like I was walking into a Klan rally. Or a temple. I would just feel like people thought I was treating them like a freak show but I honestly, I just love dark bars with big tvs so I can watch the game. Maybe I'll hit it up next Monday for NFL. Hmmmmmm....

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
lol

I was just about to come in here and let MOFO know that the Lindsmore is for drinking not for the food. I believe they have chicken soup from the can on the menu.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
What's the deal with Pete's Open Kitchen on Queen Street East, just west of River Street?

I've been passing it on the streetcar for at least two decades and it's never open? Does anyone live near it? Has anyone been in it? I think it recently got a new sign, so I'm going to guess that it's not just a front.

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
Bright Pearl Restaurant - it's located in a big intimidating building

La Societe - food reviews have been positive, don't know if I can handle the phony element of the diners

Ka Ka Lucky - with a name like that, I'm a bit hesitant to try the poopoo platter