• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Toronto Restaurants that are an *EXPERIENCE*

Volant

TRIBE Member
Finally checked out Joe Beef in Montreal a couple weeks ago. I had no idea what to expect, and had thought that some of the hype was due to Anthony Bourdain visiting, but it certain did not disappoint. Super casual and unpretentious vibe, and dishes were extremely innovative with really great flavour combinations. The lobster spaghetti was to die for and I now want to try to make it at home, though I doubt I'd be able to replicate it. Recipe is here for those interested: Joe Beef's Spaghetti Homard-Lobster - The Globe and Mail

djfear

TRIBE Member
Singapore has such amazing food & drink. The hawker stalls are super cheap and yet so delicious. And then the cocktail bars are so expensive, BUT still so amazing! Mmmmm.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Singapore has such amazing food & drink. The hawker stalls are super cheap and yet so delicious. And then the cocktail bars are so expensive, BUT still so amazing! Mmmmm.
Do you think it's worth while to go to Singapore for a vacation?

djfear

TRIBE Member
Do you think it's worth while to go to Singapore for a vacation?
This is the way I treat it:

Singapore or HK is the YYZ round trip connection, and then I book other flights. In fact, I haven't even stepped foot into Hong Kong, even though I've been to that airport like... I don't know, 5 times already?

Go to Singapore for a weekend, on your way back from Bali, or Sri Lanka, or Malaysia, and stuff your face with hawker food. Then spend all of your savings on cocktails, and get the one triber (newstyle I think?) that lives there to give you a drive in his nice whip.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
What did you think of it?
totally happy with our meal there.
great service, beautiful ingredients.
one of my fav dishes was this dashi broth with a rice cake type thing and tempura shrimp. i loved the crunch of the rice cake and the broth was great.
the tuna belly was butter and the best i've ever had.
the wagyu was okay - wasn't worth the extra money for it though - i should have gone with the full $130 tasting menu (which included sashimi)
even the dessert was stellar (one of them anyway) it was panna cotta with yuzu sorbet - fantastic

Lojack

TRIBE Member
I'm looking for a top notch BBQ place to take a friend to for their birthday. Rudy's has been mentioned but my friend has been there.. any recommendations?

futronic

TRIBE Member
Cherry St BBQ is awesome. The brisket and sausage kick ass, in particular. Was so-so on the ribs that day. Get the baked beans which has huge chunks of burnt ends mixed in and their mac n cheese is stupidly delicious.

-- Jay aka Fut

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
This isn't a Toronto resto but yesterday I went to "The Berlin" in downtown Kitchener and I must say it exceeded expectations.

I wasn't planning on going there, in fact, I was at a regular chain restaurant when the director of my department walked in so I figured I'd say high and then fuck off.

Berlin has obvious nods to KW's German heritage and takes over the space that Ren @41 used to run.

What impressed me most was they make their own tonic in house, so, if you order a gin and tonic, as I am known to do, they actually make the tonic in front of you. This has never happened to me in all my carousing around the world. And it was tastey and fresh. I then tested the barkeep with a vermouth and bitters and he hit it bang on. After that I just got drunk and let the barkeep tend to me in whichever way he felt appropriate.

-jM
A&D

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
My gf and i are looking for somewhere good but not overly expensive to eat where we can dress up nicely (it's our 2 year anniversary). We are both nondrinkers so the wine and cocktails bit does't matter - just the food quality. Any suggestions?

Vise

TRIBE Member
My gf and i are looking for somewhere good but not overly expensive to eat where we can dress up nicely (it's our 2 year anniversary). We are both nondrinkers so the wine and cocktails bit does't matter - just the food quality. Any suggestions?
Although not fancy in terms of dress if you haven't been Edulis sounds like it would hit the mark. Not expensive but the food is fantastic... think the 5 course menu is $65 per person which is a steal.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Looking for something downtown-ish (or within a reasonable cab ride) for an anniversary. Italian, steak, French, whatever.. Quiet (or at least no loud music) and where one can have reasonable privacy (eg. fellow diners further than 2-3 feet away). Ideas?