• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto Restaurants that are an *EXPERIENCE*

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
GUU IZAKAYA is fun, and great value for the money, but it's not worth lining up for an hour or more. i would only ever go during "off hours", such as 5 pm on a tuesday or wednesday.

My sister loves this restaurant, we're planning to take her there for her bday!
Hopefully, she'll be free around that time, otherwise, I'll be holding their place in line.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Rodneys Oyster House

Surprise birthday dinner for my wife (still feels so wierd saying that), and she adores oysters. We went to Rodneys last night, after two rounds of a wack of oysters, some wine, and one main we were pretty stuffed. Great service, wasnt all that busy but was picking up when we left. In total $160 for the night which was what I was expecting.

Its not a bad place, it completely feels like a seafood resto (expected), but for some reason I was expecting some more upscale decor. I guess given our staple resto being Pure, we expected more. Still a great experience. But we rather Pure in a heart beat.

Regardless she had a wonderful time, and that what its all about.

The End.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Oh and you have to check out the washrooms, the photos within are quite the scene. Bearded Clams anyone?

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
rodney's good for sure, but they need to update that washroom.

I'm down with naked ladies and all, just not so much those naked ladies.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I'm assuming it's been said in this thread somewhere...

Massimo Capra's Mistura is almost always an *Experience*. A little pricey, but not much more then the Keg really, except that you have to try everything... so it then adds up.

Did you see to see Massimo? I <3 him.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Volant

TRIBE Member
Hi tribe! Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants in Sydney or Melbourne? Anything ranging from a three star Michelin equivalent (or similar) to the old splendid in Toronto to black hoof to burrito boys. I only have two recommendations so far; Jacques reymond in Melbourne and bathers pavilion in Sydney. Reviews for those two places are mixed, but also don't know how much to trust reviews. Also the recommendations were given to me by someone who lived there 10 years ago, so any insight is greatly apreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Liability

TRIBE Member
Hi tribe! Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants in Sydney or Melbourne? Anything ranging from a three star Michelin equivalent (or similar) to the old splendid in Toronto to black hoof to burrito boys. I only have two recommendations so far; Jacques reymond in Melbourne and bathers pavilion in Sydney. Reviews for those two places are mixed, but also don't know how much to trust reviews. Also the recommendations were given to me by someone who lived there 10 years ago, so any insight is greatly apreciated!!! Thanks!!!

If you like Middle Eastern food there is a place called Dunyazad that is really good. The only issue is that it is in a suburb quite a bit out of Melbourne, so if you are taking transit it is a bit of a hike.

sk8

TRIBE Member
For the first time we did a "fancy night out" thing for new years. It was really fun and the food was great! We were at Eight Wine Bar (in the Cosmopolitan Hotel) - the dinner included wine pairings as well! What I was most impressed with is that due to my having Crohn's I wasn't able to eat a fair bit of the menu, so they made me my own dishes, not just the regular ones with missing bits and without sauce, which is what usually happens. Here's what we got:

1st Course
Everyone else: Pan-seared veal sweetbreads, vanilla-poached lobster, cinnamon french toast and sweet port glaze
Me: Vanilla poached lobster with honey-glazed figs. I got 2 pieces of lobster, causing everyone to be jealous, which was awesome because noone is ever jealous of my food!

2nd Course
Everyone else: Pan-seared arctic char with confit of winter vegetables
Me: Root vegetable ravioli (only the outside was so thin it was like rice paper -awesome) with a spicy red pepper sauce - I swear there was some sort of dried blueberry-like thing in there too - so good!

Intermezzo - blood orange sorbet in sparkling wine

3rd Course
Everyone (I could eat this one!): Oven-roasted prosciutto-wrapped beef tenderloin
with pork belly hash, baby black corn and heirloom carrots.

4th Course
Everyone else: Maple brulée, chocolate cake, and
mini chocolate chip ice cream sandwich
Me: strawberries, blueberries and flourless chocolate cake :)

The entire thing was so good - I can't remember the last time I went to a real dinner out - I usually avoid it because my diet is such a pain in the ass.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
i love how all these hipsters are doing italian food now. porchetta on dundas?! i never thought i'd see that.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
that's surprising to you? really? I'm just glad people are finally opening shit on that strip. it's been pure dump for ages.

either way, eat some pork.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
i love how all these hipsters are doing italian food now. porchetta on dundas?! i never thought i'd see that.

i wouldn't say hipsters nestore. it just so happens that (i mean its inferred in the article) that strip of dundas has alot of little fun restos upening up and arn't afraid to try something new. although porchetta panini have been swinging pretty good for the past 2 years down in NYC, we haven't had a chance to try it as a canadian reincarnation unless you knew a good shop that sold it as a takeaway side with some roasted potatos (which i did and it was usually mediocre). been to P & C, good sammy, i prefer just the plate of meat as i'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to all things eye-talian. but fair price, good buns. they're gonna do good. i'm a fan of soups tho, good soups too.

woodlot is killing it right now. everything is out of this world (nevermind the bread.. woah jesus). when i see more industry people eating beside me then regular foodie fucks taking snapshots of their plates, thats a sign. the food is good. real good. they are gonna be the big thing soon. trust me. still wanna get to campagnolo and franks kitchen.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
^^
Campagnolo is tight. Solid Italian food. You need to try their braised rabbit with rapini. Then again, rapini is my achilles heel.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
i wouldn't say hipsters nestore. it just so happens that (i mean its inferred in the article) that strip of dundas has alot of little fun restos upening up and arn't afraid to try something new. although porchetta panini have been swinging pretty good for the past 2 years down in NYC, we haven't had a chance to try it as a canadian reincarnation unless you knew a good shop that sold it as a takeaway side with some roasted potatos (which i did and it was usually mediocre). been to P & C, good sammy, i prefer just the plate of meat as i'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to all things eye-talian. but fair price, good buns. they're gonna do good. i'm a fan of soups tho, good soups too.

woodlot is killing it right now. everything is out of this world (nevermind the bread.. woah jesus). when i see more industry people eating beside me then regular foodie fucks taking snapshots of their plates, thats a sign. the food is good. real good. they are gonna be the big thing soon. trust me. still wanna get to campagnolo and franks kitchen.

i use the term hipster very loosely, though that area is mos def hipster-ish. the porchetta place surprised me the most as it's not something i thought would catch on in the city. there are a few places in woodbridge and maple where you can go get a porchetta sandwich or rapini & sausage on a bun, but i never imagined one would open on dundas. maybe it's just me.

i can't wait to try woodlot, though it'll be weird eating in one of my favourite old party spots. it's such a great space, but i'm curious to see how it's all laid out.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Is it worth the drive to Cambridge?

According to The Canadian Automobile Association and the American Automobile Association, there were six restaurants in Canada getting the five diamond award..none in the Greater Toronto region...the six restaurants getting top award were:

Eden at the Rimrock Resort Hotel in Banff,
Lumiere in Vancouver,
Le Baccara in Gatineau, Quebec,
Nuances in Montreal,
Restaurant Toque in Montreal
Langdon Hall in Cambridge, Ont.

there are however, 23 four-diamond restaurants in Toronto

Byers: Great food, Canada . . . Sorry about your hotels - thestar.com

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
Is it worth the drive to Cambridge?

According to The Canadian Automobile Association and the American Automobile Association, there were six restaurants in Canada getting the five diamond award..none in the Greater Toronto region...the six restaurants getting top award were:

Eden at the Rimrock Resort Hotel in Banff,
Lumiere in Vancouver,
Le Baccara in Gatineau, Quebec,
Nuances in Montreal,
Restaurant Toque in Montreal
Langdon Hall in Cambridge, Ont.

there are however, 23 four-diamond restaurants in Toronto

Byers: Great food, Canada . . . Sorry about your hotels - thestar.com

langdon hall is amazing, went there a few years back as i used to know a manager who was doing her internship there.. great food, great atmosphere

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
For the first time we did a "fancy night out" thing for new years. It was really fun and the food was great! We were at Eight Wine Bar (in the Cosmopolitan Hotel) - the dinner included wine pairings as well! What I was most impressed with is that due to my having Crohn's I wasn't able to eat a fair bit of the menu, so they made me my own dishes, not just the regular ones with missing bits and without sauce, which is what usually happens. Here's what we got:

1st Course
Everyone else: Pan-seared veal sweetbreads, vanilla-poached lobster, cinnamon french toast and sweet port glaze
Me: Vanilla poached lobster with honey-glazed figs. I got 2 pieces of lobster, causing everyone to be jealous, which was awesome because noone is ever jealous of my food!

2nd Course
Everyone else: Pan-seared arctic char with confit of winter vegetables
Me: Root vegetable ravioli (only the outside was so thin it was like rice paper -awesome) with a spicy red pepper sauce - I swear there was some sort of dried blueberry-like thing in there too - so good!

Intermezzo - blood orange sorbet in sparkling wine

3rd Course
Everyone (I could eat this one!): Oven-roasted prosciutto-wrapped beef tenderloin
with pork belly hash, baby black corn and heirloom carrots.

4th Course
Everyone else: Maple brulée, chocolate cake, and
mini chocolate chip ice cream sandwich
Me: strawberries, blueberries and flourless chocolate cake :)

The entire thing was so good - I can't remember the last time I went to a real dinner out - I usually avoid it because my diet is such a pain in the ass.

oooooooh, reading that really makes me want to go there now! ;)

langdon hall is amazing, went there a few years back as i used to know a manager who was doing her internship there.. great food, great atmosphere

yep. langdon hall is really, really good, and worth the drive... not too dar from TO (under an hour) right by my house.

k/w area is finally getting some good food too.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
booked a meal at canoe for feb. got a gift card for O&B for christmas and Auberge is too far away.

hope it's totally radical...there's some type of cranberry themed tasting menu.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
i feel like porchetta is the new crave (a la smokie's poutinerie stature) it probably deserves its own thread

I think it is too. the drake just opened a BBQ spot next to their general store on queen west serving porchetta and and brisket.

black camel has been repping brisket for a while mid-town though. wonder how the drakes spot compares

obvious food trends of the past few years:

burritos
charcuterie
poutine
now porchetta sangwidgizz