• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto Restaurants that are an *EXPERIENCE*

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
BUCA was alright. everything was tasty, and nice atmosphere/vibe, but nothing mindblowing. wine list was interesting (all italian wines) and not overly pricey, and the somelier was helpful.

i had the polenta, which featured lamb, rabbit and some kind of neck (can't remember what animal) on a bed of mashed polenta, with a very tasty italian/tomato sauce mixed in. the girl had the grilled eel.

total cost for two - with appetizers, mains, a bottle of wine and tip - was $170.

i dug the experience, but i'm in no rush to go back.

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
Anyone got any Dubai recommendations? (living here now)

There are a fuck load of restaurants here, some extremely expensive, so want to do some due diligence first,

went to a place called rivington grill (its a popular london restaurant that opened here) was all high end pub grubby comfort food a la Gordon Ramsy return to good, simple, fresh food. Was really good and very different from anything you would get in Toronto:

welcome to Rivington

sam

TRIBE Member
Has anyone been to Tomi Kro? Thinking of taking my gf there for her bday but cannot seem to find their menu anywhere online. Are there enough Vegetarian options? What are the prices like?

Any help would be appreicated :)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Has anyone been to Tomi Kro? Thinking of taking my gf there for her bday but cannot seem to find their menu anywhere online. Are there enough Vegetarian options? What are the prices like?

Any help would be appreicated :)
There are not great vegetarian options. The only thing is a mushroom risotto side that can be made into a main (of course) and maybe some salads or sides.

And it's not great. Substantial but it's like squishy rice. They should work on that because risotto is supposed to be a very sophisticated dish but this is super mediocre. I would never order it again.

You can call ahead and get them to tailor some dishes but it will be difficult since it's Asian fusion mixed with comfort food. So meat and seafood are a huge part of the dishes.

As for pricing, it's about $8 - $15 for apps and $15+ for mains (I think). It's not crazy expensive but every dish I've had has been amazing and well worth the money. Portion-wise, it's substantial.

Cocktails are beautiful and go for about $8.

Some highlights:
- lobster maki rolls
- osso buco
- anything steak related like the beef slices
- scallops

Btw, I LOVE Tomi Kro. I've never had a bad meal there and the service has been fantastic each time. Even when they're curt, they fast and efficient. So who cares if you get a smile as I wouldn't want to work on a Sunday night either.

Great owners. Friendly, gruff and blunt. A little East-end flavour. :)

Last edited:

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
risotto usually isn't vegetarian as it's made with chicken stock.

some places might make it with a vegetable stock but it would have to say so explicitly.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Vise

TRIBE Member
Agreed on Tomi-Kro, haven't been in quite a while (since before they expanded) but the meals we've had there in the past have been great. Would like to get back there soon actually... unfortunately the Black Hoof keeps getting in the way. :)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
risotto usually isn't vegetarian as it's made with chicken stock.

some places might make it with a vegetable stock but it would have to say so explicitly.
They said it was veggie but who the fuck knows.

Don't get it anyway, Sam. It's watery rice. I can make a better risotto with my eyes closed.

sam

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the info!! And she eats seafood, so knowing this, will there be enough dishes for her to choose from?

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
BUCA was alright. everything was tasty, and nice atmosphere/vibe, but nothing mindblowing. wine list was interesting (all italian wines) and not overly pricey, and the somelier was helpful.

i had the polenta, which featured lamb, rabbit and some kind of neck (can't remember what animal) on a bed of mashed polenta, with a very tasty italian/tomato sauce mixed in. the girl had the grilled eel.

total cost for two - with appetizers, mains, a bottle of wine and tip - was $170.

i dug the experience, but i'm in no rush to go back.
I went to Buca and had a great experience. The menu was varied and we sampled a number of apps and I had the polenta as well.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the info!! And she eats seafood, so knowing this, will there be enough dishes for her to choose from?
Yup. I would think so. It's Asian fusion with sushi-inspired dishes. And like I said, great scallops.
I think they have a great ahi tuna too. I think you'll have a good time.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vinder

TRIBE Member
i know it's not in toronto, but anyone been to Toque in montreal? Going there tonight for our go-live (of doom) dinner.

vox

TRIBE Member
toque is the best!

i totally jump-started a trip to montreal based on the unsubstantiated rumours on tribe that APDC was closing the new year.

we've got resos at DNA, kitchen galerie, and APDC and a whole day dedicated to casse-croûte comparisons. AND we're going to wilensky's light lunch for a grilled bologna and mustard sammy. brunch at sparrow, hopefully.

vinder

TRIBE Member
kitchen galerie is next on the list. if you have time, try greasy spoon and cuisine dependance. menus change every week, really good bistro with a twist food.

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
they've changed the boudie noir tart a bit. when i went about a month ago it was served with a yorkie as the pastry rather than the glorious fried discus it used to come with

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Nota Bene was great but I was disappointed that our charcuterie plate didn't include the whipped pork fat you guys drooled over. It had a variety of saucisse sec, some bresaola and prosciutto, the pork cheeks and my favourite - the amazing duck... but no whipped pork fat. There was an alternate meat plate that I believe included the whipped pork fat as Simon saw it being carried across the room... oh well, next time we'll get that plate instead.

We split the lobster salad which was fantastic - loved the blue cheese and the little bits of bacon.

Simon had the hangar steak which was very good and I had the suckling pig which was so amazingly tender! I couldn't believe pork could be so soft. The boudin was even better than the pig. Blood sausage rules!!! We ordered some kimchee for the table which was also great - had some good bite to it.

We split the sticky toffee pudding with pecan praline and spotted dick ice cream. It was so good I damn near licked the bowl clean.

As for drinks - I started with the Nota Bene cocktail on Liz's recommendation and it was superb - nice and tart. Simon had some Irish cocktail dealie... and it was also super but I would have wanted it after the meal - it seemed to be more of a 'dessert' drink (irish whiskey, some coffee flavoured stuff etc). We each had a glass of wine - we took the server's recommendations and were both pleased with what we got.

All in all a fantastic meal for my birthday.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
nice one! i seriously think about that cocktail at least once a week.
i walk by nota bene on my way home from work, and i often glance inside and think about sidling up to the bar for one of those drinks. i think i might have to go back, try it again, and then recreate it at home.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Just saw in City Bites that Chef Lynn Crawford (Resto Makeover) will be tking over the now defunct Citizen in Riverside... Looking forward to this as this will raise the bar for the other restos that are around the hood...

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
going to a show at Roy Thomspon Hall on Monday night and need a nice place to eat between 6-7:30pm. All reviews online seem annoying... don't feel like hitting up the regular King West spots (Kit Kat & co.)... any suggestions? Anywhere worth eating on Peter or John these days?

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
what price range?

got a gift certificate to use for canoe, but it works for auberge du pommier as well, decisions decisions.

canoe probably.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
nice one! i seriously think about that cocktail at least once a week.
i walk by nota bene on my way home from work, and i often glance inside and think about sidling up to the bar for one of those drinks. i think i might have to go back, try it again, and then recreate it at home.
I still $100 to use there if you're interested. They sent to me after I wrote him about my completely shitty experience there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders