• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto Rave Documentary '97

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
Shared this on facebook and thought I'd post it here too.
19 years ago I made this documentary for a school project about Toronto's "underground dance culture". Wound up connecting with Richard Brooks & Natalie Brown of RNB Productions to ask about the parties they were throwing.
I wound up shooting footage at the party Davie Bowie showed up at. He politely declined being on camera (My tv instructor at the time didn't believe me that BOWIE was there), but we knew ;)

Anyways I'm in the process of digitizing old VHS tapes, and this gem was the first to get the treatment, so here it is in it's full low-budget glory. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFc83-FjXu8

Stop Bill C-10

derek

TRIBE Member
He was at a 'Better Days' rave at the gov't one time too

Wesley Snipes was spotted at a few too (I actually played a private party with friend for him and Robin Givens at a small bar called 'Shindig' around 97)

One of the coolest though, was when Grace Jones showed up at a after-hours spot (prerave '89) called the Kola Club (also known just as the warehouse) that was at Richmond and Spadina. It was around for about a year or so. It's where Dino & Terry became well known DJs

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Had no money, so convinced my mother she should go to Year of the Bull with me as her date. I cherish the pic of her and Bowie from that night at the masonic temple :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Kid

TRIBE Member
"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Seriously? Any chance you can re-post?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Shared this on facebook and thought I'd post it here too.
19 years ago I made this documentary for a school project about Toronto's "underground dance culture". Wound up connecting with Richard Brooks & Natalie Brown of RNB Productions to ask about the parties they were throwing.
I wound up shooting footage at the party Davie Bowie showed up at. He politely declined being on camera (My tv instructor at the time didn't believe me that BOWIE was there), but we knew ;)

Anyways I'm in the process of digitizing old VHS tapes, and this gem was the first to get the treatment, so here it is in it's full low-budget glory. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFc83-FjXu8

Excellent job Smooth! You managed to really capture the 90's scene even in a short 11min video.

You seem digitally savvy - how should I backup all my CD's full of video and imagery media to something that is more permanent and accessible?

If you can do it for VHS you can do it for CDs!

Hard to believe that was 20 years ago already... We should do drinks sometime!

-jM
A&D