• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto Ranked 'Best Place to Live' by Economist Study

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
What about the ever present threat of martial law, C51 and the next time a g20 is decided to be held here?

Did they detail all the political oppression we have here??

let's not forget the HOV lanes! and the shit-show that would be the olympics!

It wierd and I have corroboration. People in Toronto are miserable. It's like people are in this tunnel vision and see only themselves as its informed by what they do. Let's not discuss about the sociopolitical aspects of that but the summation is the this is not a happy city.

why do you say that? i'm happy. my family is happy. my friends in general are happy.

i would be hard-pressed to think of anyone i know that is generally "miserable".

p.s. :)

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
DSCF4755.jpg

st victor petroglyph

praktik

TRIBE Member
I know - "destroying" is totally an accurate term

What will be left?? We'll be taking wheelbarrows of funny money in for loaves of bread soon, mark my words!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
I was mocking the end times hyperbole of bbj

No one party can "destroy" Ontario, we're always talking about minor changes on the table, really, it's just people like to pretend if a party they don't like is in power the sky is falling

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
It's not only a very happy place for anyone making 6 figures, but also for anyone who has 6 roommates so they can get by.

praktik

TRIBE Member
It's not only a very happy place for anyone making 6 figures, but also for anyone who has 6 roommates so they can get by.

We should judge probably more on how under 6 figure are happy/not happy, agreed

Forget who it was that said societies should be judged based on how they deal with their lowest echelons

And while Toronto is an expensive place to live and in the lower incomes this may mean a place like Saskatoon affords easier home ownership and lower rent, other factors come into play such as the employment opportunities available here but not in Saskatoon. Also we must deal with the fact Canada has health benefits and a safety net that other countries don't.,so even a super expensive Toronto has amenities for lower income populations other countries may not have (though our dental care for the poor is abysmal!)

These other contextual factors may help offset the expense of Toronto as a place to live for the poorer denizens and explain how we can still do well in these lists even if we have ridiculous rents and cost of home ownership

acheron

TRIBE Member
Then there's the buffalo theory..

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And, when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

So if we get rid of the poorest and weakest of our number then we will be a more efficient city. I think we're actually working quite hard at this - allowing rich conservative strategists to put Rob Ford in power on the votes of the poorest and least enfranchised in the city. And permitting the proliferation of payday lenders, while only controlling rents on properties built before 1990 in the middle of a condo building boom.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Then there's the buffalo theory..

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And, when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

So if we get rid of the poorest and weakest of our number then we will be a more efficient city. I think we're actually working quite hard at this - allowing rich conservative strategists to put Rob Ford in power on the votes of the poorest and least enfranchised in the city. And permitting the proliferation of payday lenders, while only controlling rents on properties built before 1990 in the middle of a condo building boom.

This is an excellent idea. Move them to the Southern Ontario hinterland tell the Mexicans we don't need them next summer - the tomatoes won't pick themselves its true, but we got the Toronto Poor to do that for us now!

acheron

TRIBE Member
I keep saying this to people. Other countries' poor people come here to work. Why can't our poor people go somewhere else to work? I mean all those awesome manufacturing jobs are moving to mexico. You'd think that some of us would follow the jobs down there. Why get drunk after your shift at some dive bar in Oshawa in the middle of January when you could be swilling Mezcal at a dive bar in sunny Mexico!

Beings

TRIBE Member
I keep saying this to people. Other countries' poor people come here to work. Why can't our poor people go somewhere else to work? I mean all those awesome manufacturing jobs are moving to mexico. You'd think that some of us would follow the jobs down there. Why get drunk after your shift at some dive bar in Oshawa in the middle of January when you could be swilling Mezcal at a dive bar in sunny Mexico!

Holy shit, you should run for an MP dude!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member

Cool, we should let them vote too since anyone who has left Canada to work 5 years ago isn't allowed to vote anymore.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I couldn't disagree with you more. So much that it's an effort to remain respectful in response. This belongs in another thread, but the comment was made here so I'll respond here.

There is no reasonable outcome to this, plainly put. Out of more than 1 million Canadians who are expats, only 6,000 voted in the last federal election. So in a sense, those who "shouldn't be voting" have not been voting. Those are people who are not interested in the political processes in Canada. I'm not sure if they are affected or not. Those who remain connected to Canada and the political landscape there made an effort to vote.

The argument was that expats shouldn't have a say in policies that don't affect their lives. This is a ridiculous argument by the very premise of this ruling. Removing the democratic right to vote affects their lives in the deepest possible way and effectively sends the message "you are no longer a citizen of Canada, therefore you can't vote any more." Non-residency is NOT non-citizenship. I still carry a Canadian passport. I am in Canada every few years at the longest stretch. I am more connected to the news and politics than a large portion of Canadians who live in country. My family lives here. I was born here. One day, I will repatriate my accumulated wealth and will be taxed on that, as well as the property I am saving to buy. Political decisions made today affect my life then.

I left because I could not find reasonable employment here. I found work overseas that allows me to save to spend money back in Canada and live comfortably when I return. Should my right to vote be taken away because of an economic policy that has largely been out of my control?

The argument that expats Canadians of 5+ years should not be allowed to vote because it doesn't affect their lives is a superficial and dangerous argument. It's made by people who don't understand or consider the circumstances under which expats have come into their situations. It makes me incredibly resentful at best. It makes me wonder who the fuck Canada thinks it is to call itself a democracy when it disenfranchises its own citizens.

Stephen Harper has been the worst PM ever for the state of democracy, hands down. This is only one example (see every omnibus bill he's crammed through, not to mentions bills 51 and 24.) It's unfathomable that people sitting inside Canada can purport to know the circumstances regarding expat lives and can sit there and say "yeah they shouldn't be allowed to vote." It disturbs me. Is that who we are now?

The bottom line is that people who go work overseas are educated. This is another move to block educated people (who obviously would not vote for Harper) from voting. We're not the only people who will be blocked from voting. The last election had its own range of tricks - just wait to see what comes up in a couple of months. "Fair Elections Act"... hahaha.

Last edited:

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
^ you make a convincing argument. i suspect the plaintiffs in the court case made similar arguments. the appeal was argued in front of the ontario court of appeal, and the five judges ruled on it. according to the news article, there was a dissenting opinion, so the decision was not unanimous. perhaps the plaintiffs will appeal next to the SCC.

your argument that "those who shouldn't be voting have not been voting" would be turned upside down if voting were made easier (perhaps online voting in the near future) and suddenly there were one million new voters who may have no plans of ever living in canada again.

rules often have the effect of being unfair for some while serving a greater purpose. i do not know what the "greater purpose" may have been for enacting the five year rule in the first place. i assume both sides presented strong arguments, as it resulted in a split decision at the court of appeal.

if one were to ask "should one million individuals who have not lived in canada for over 5 years and who do not pay canadian taxes be allowed to vote in canada?" i expect a lot of people would say no, because they would be making the rule for the entire group of people, not the 6,000 for whom it may be most unfair.

Non-residency is NOT non-citizenship. I still carry a Canadian passport. I am in Canada every few years at the longest stretch. I am more connected to the news and politics than a large portion of Canadians who live in country. My family lives here. I was born here. One day, I will repatriate my accumulated wealth and will be taxed on that, as well as the property I am saving to buy. Political decisions made today affect my life then.

i expect if you said all this to the CRA, they would deem you to be a canadian resident, and you would be able to vote again. after you pay your Canadian income taxes of course. :)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i don't mean to make light of the situation. the fact that you want to vote and cannot must be a shitty reality. i completely appreciate your argument, but i also appreciate the argument on the other side, and that's just from reading one news article (as opposed to reading the hundreds of pages of factums that likely accompanied the appeal).

of the injustices in the world and in this country, this one seems minor.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Well let's see how minor it would be to you if you had your right to vote taken away. It makes you look at your country in a whole new light.

A light that not enough people seem to be looking at it in.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Completely agree with Boss Hog. There should be no way to take away the right to vote for a Citizen of Canada regardless of where they live. That's fundamentally not who we are. Harper through many different actions is attempting to define different classes of citizens. Not acceptable.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
wiseman/praktik - to be clear, are you suggesting that someone born in canada (i.e. a canadian citizen) who moved out of canada 50 years ago, has never paid taxes in canada and has no intention of ever moving back to canada, should have the right to vote in canadian elections?

that, to me, does not make sense. once has to draw the line somewhere.

i also don't buy the logic that paying taxes is completely irrelevant. taxes enable our government to exist and operate. while one's tax-paying status should not be completely determinative, i do think it is a factor.