• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto Ranked 'Best Place to Live' by Economist Study

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Toronto is world’s best city to live in, Economist study says Add to ...
The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Jan. 30 2015, 6:50 AM EST

Toronto is the world’s best city to live in, according to a study of major metropolises by The Economist Intelligence Unit.

And Montreal is the second-best, with Stockholm, Amsterdam and San Francisco rounding out the top five.

The two Canadian cities topped the overall scoring in the 2015 Safe Cities Index published this week by the EIU, a unit of The Economist magazine. It is based on a ranking of 50 major cities by a new study of safety along with past rankings based on liveability and cost of living. Cities were further sorted according to past country rankings based on business environment, degree of democracy and food security.

Vancouver, which often scores highly in global rankings of this kind, was not included in the survey; nor was any other Canadian city.

THE GLOBAL TOP 10

•Toronto
•Montreal
•Stockholm
•Amsterdam
•San Francisco
•Melbourne
•Zurich
•Washington, D.C.
•Sydney
•Chicago

THE 10 SAFEST CITIES

•Tokyo
•Singapore
•Osaka
•Stockholm
•Amsterdam
•Sydney
•Zurich
•Toronto
•Melbourne
•New York

Toronto is world

octo

TRIBE Member
we're #1!

here's another recent study where we ranked 1st.

Best Cities To Live In - Business Insider

Some cities are just easier to live in than others.

Global consulting firm ECA International came out with a list of the most livable cities around the world for North Americans.

The ranking objectively evaluates a bunch of factors that contribute to the overall quality of living, including climate, availability of health services, housing and utilities, isolation, access to social network and leisure facilities, personal safety, air quality, infrastructure, and political tensions.

Read more: Best Cities To Live In - Business Insider

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
There has to be some place better. I keep on romanticizing Berlin. I hear it's cheap, they've got subways, and that city exports cool things.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
That's because it wasn't included in the study. Also excluded was Vancouver, Miami, Mexico City and many other curious omissions.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
anyone who puts montreal on that list has obviously never actually lived in montreal. that place is a shithole of the highest order. great to visit but live there? never again even if you paid me

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Toronto is Tops because of Tribe.ca Just admit it.

Seriously though, I work with a braniac from Brazil, worked for IBM there. He moved here because the standard of living is higher. He's managing a department now. Met his wife here, too.

So We just had a 4 hour session last night playing Space Hulk board game. <3 reminds me of when I was in High school, playing Games Workshop.. Bloodbowl, and painting our figurines.

I guess you can't argue with that.

He told me, it's not worth making alot of money if you're living in squalor in Brazil.

I can't argue with nice folks. I don't like however, the asians who come over and outright steal my job, and think they're entitled to it. Just saying.

Political, not racist.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
anyone who puts montreal on that list has obviously never actually lived in montreal. that place is a shithole of the highest order. great to visit but live there? never again even if you paid me
^^^this

I've lived there and Toronto is so much better. Montreal reminds me of a 60 year beauty queen who has lots of pictures of herself in her prime hanging up in her home. The beauty has faded, and she clings stubbornly to nostalgia.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
One of my dreams is to move to Montreal. My French is poor but I have a plan and I think I can pick it up quickly. I spoke it better as a kid. Moving there is number one on my "to do" list if things go sour in Toronto.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
This is all a bit misleading.

It's the best overall in safety. This has been cited all over Facebook but people don't realize that it's a safe cities index. Look at the criteria.

It's not like Toronto even compares globally when it comes to aesthetics (or politics, or transportation, lol.)

I get that Toronto loves to feel great about itself, but take it down a notch.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
^ If you read/skim the entire study, and not just the first page, you will see that Tokyo is the best in overall safety.

Toronto ranked best in the "Index of indexes: Where is the best place to live?" which took into account Safety, Liveability, Cost of Living, Business Environment, Democracy and Global Food Security. Each of those categories has its own study, just like the Safety study. I think the reason Toronto was listed as the best city in which to live *overall* in the Safety study is because the Safety study was the last one to be completed.

There are separate reports for each of those other categories. The Liveability Study, for example, which can be found at the following link, considers factors/indexes such as stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure: http://pages.eiu.com/rs/eiu2/images/Liveability_rankings_2014.pdf

This is from the page that announced Toronto as the best city in which to live overall:

Deciding where to live is a personal choice for many residents. For some, safety will be paramount. Others will prioritise culture and creativity. Two neighbours may hold opposite views on democracy and the cost of living. But often choice will be based on a mxture of reasons: an entrepreneur looking for the best city to start a business may also intend to start a family.

To provide a broad picture of how cities perform, we have tracked how the 50 cities in our Index perform across a range of other indexes created by The Economist Intelligence Unit. Three of these indexes are at the city level (Safe Cities, Liveability Rankings, Cost of Living) and three are at the country level (Business Environment Rankings, Democracy Index, Global Food Security Index).

The average rankings for the 25 best-performing cities are set out below. Toronto (8) in Canada is a consistent performer across the five other indexes, putting it top overall.
Tell those folks on your Facebook page that are downplaying Toronto's performance in this study that they should read it first. You may not agree with the methodology used, but you should first understand it before you criticize it. :)

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Well I did read the entire study.

The very name of the study is called "The Safe Cities Index". That's what I was referring to. The study seems to focus on the fact that it's safe for business because it's The Economist reporting it. I'd like to see their reports on best cities for telecommunications / banking profits, for that matter.

Safety, Livability, Cost of Living, Business Environment, Democracy and Global Food Security are important factors for sure, but livability doesn't factor in livability for people who aren't starting businesses. Cost of living, infrastructure (wait, does that mean public transportation and the DVP, too?)... how does Toronto rate so highly on those? Aren't they making reality shows now about how awesome it is to live in a condo with 20 square metres because that's the affordable new reality? How do you commute?

As per Facebook... Toronto people seem to have picked out this study as validation that their city and lives are the best in the world according to one magazine with a strange field of consideration, apparently. Which is fine, but those people should just roll back the self congratulation a bit because it really doesn't mean much when you're putting your futon away to show your living room or standing in the cold for your string of 12 streetcars to come along.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Safety, Livability, Cost of Living, Business Environment, Democracy and Global Food Security are important factors for sure, but livability doesn't factor in livability for people who aren't starting businesses.
As mentioned above, the Livability Study considers, among other factors, stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure. All of those things are important to all folks, not just those who are starting businesses.

As per Facebook... Toronto people seem to have picked out this study as validation that their city and lives are the best in the world according to one magazine with a strange field of consideration, apparently. Which is fine, but those people should just roll back the self congratulation a bit because it really doesn't mean much when you're putting your futon away to show your living room or standing in the cold for your string of 12 streetcars to come along.

I can't speak for the people on your Facebook page, but I think most folks are just having fun with this. I certainly got a kick when I found out that an established U.K. magazine study picked Toronto as the best place to live in all the world. It is a very comprehensive study, whether you agree with their ratings, weightings, factors, etc. or not, and it recognizes - rightly - that different folks will have different views and preferences.

From my perspective, Toronto is the best place to live, which is why I live here. If I thought another city would be better for me, I would find a way to move there immediately. :)

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
There has to be some place better. I keep on romanticizing Berlin. I hear it's cheap, they've got subways, and that city exports cool things.
tuff to find a job, bit of a startup scene now, but no big companies based there (for obvious historical reasons).

praktik

TRIBE Member
What about the ever present threat of martial law, C51 and the next time a g20 is decided to be held here?

Did they detail all the political oppression we have here??

wickedken

TRIBE Member
It wierd and I have corroboration. People in Toronto are miserable. It's like people are in this tunnel vision and see only themselves as its informed by what they do. Let's not discuss about the sociopolitical aspects of that but the summation is the this is not a happy city.

I would wager that you have felt it coming back from your trips abroad.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders