1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Toronto police officer charged with murder in streetcar shooting

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by solacevip, Jul 27, 2013.

1. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

[YOUTUBE]PuItH2raahg[/YOUTUBE]

2. djglobalkiller

djglobalkiller TRIBE Promoter

they could have just locked the streetcar and waited it out..

3. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Or shot his leg? Or arm? Or what about stun guns? Or even a fucking dart? Smoke the guy out? I never understood shoot to kill. Someone enlighten me.

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i have never been shot by a cop.

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

On its face seems disproportionate, but let's remember there's been some FREAKY stuff people on transit vehicles with knives have pulled off.

I think this will turn out to be the frailty of an individual cop panicking, but we don't know anything - so we're all just spitballin' here

No doubt the thin blue line will mean some time before we get a better idea of what went down

6. awwnaw

awwnaw TRIBE Member

Didn't the cop fire like 7 shots? Soundss like overkill to me.

7. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

9 shots is not overkill if you don't hit your target centre mass, like you're suppose to. that's what they train for, during the TPS college, and through out their tenure with TPS.

now if this was just one officer emptying out more then half a bloody clip on a suspect... just wow. but we weren't there, don't know specifics, this person could have been high on something, who knows. no details? no legit threat assessment = armchair constable.

I'd rather they drop the person then let them get close enough to injure a cop or someone who passes on by wrong place wrong time. by no means am I a fan of cops, but having an intimate understanding of what they do and what they go through, i'll wait until the details come out before I pass judgment

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  8. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

fuckin pigs

9. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

I know at least 5 people who witnessed this first hand. The streetcar was emptied of people when the cops murdered him. He did not threaten the driver. The driver even asked him (when it was just the 2 of them together) if he wanted to call anyone. The man said he would like to talk to his father. The man had a very small knife and was not a threat to anyone on the empty streetcar or the 20 heavily armed police officers. After 3 shots, the man hit the ground, yet the police continued to fire at least 6 more into him, THEN taser him.

Are bullets the right way to deal with mentally ill people? Are we ok with living in a society where the police use lethal force as the 1st option? I thought tasers were meant to neutralize situations like this? It seems tasers are to be used against unarmed protesters, and bullets are to be used for everyone else. Shoot first, ask questions later. Welcome to Police State Toronto v. 2013.

Expect that all these cops will get nothing more than a paid vacation.

10. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

1 shot is overkill when your suspect is armed with nothing more than a swiss army knife and is not a threat to anyone. The streetcar was empty. Cops are trained to take down a suspect without using guns, right? Or have our cops gotten so useless and lazy that this is ok?

11. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

9 shots in a fucking RESIDENTIAL area! all it takes is a stray bullet and you've got another jane creba. Several people should loose their jobs, chances are they'll be lauded a hero and given a huge paid time off vacation for 'mental anguish'.

12. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

They're taking this no drinking in parks crackdown a little too far.

13. derek

derek TRIBE Member

sounds crazy. i'll wait for more information before speculating though. and as big cheese points out they're trained to shoot for centre mass, hence it's only supposed to be for defending themselves or the public from immediate harm; arms and legs is pure movie bs.

14. mitsuko souma

mitsuko souma TRIBE Member

A guy took a bullet in his ass last night on my block. Not by a cop.
    He is expected to survive.

15. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Trained to hit centre mass? Are they not trained to negotiate? Trained to use non lethal force first? Trained to know that 9 bullets hitting centre mass is overkill?

16. derek

derek TRIBE Member

like i said don't now the particulars in this case and they could be in the wrong (certainly wouldn't be a first) but yes they are trained to try and de-escalate first.

all i'm saying is once you go at an officer with a weapon, they're not going to try and shoot your arm or leg. training will kick in and they'll go straight for centre mass.

17. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

What was the guy doing brandishing a knife in an enclosed public space? I bet the driver was pretty anxious as well as the other passengers. Mental issues might be the root cause but that situation is frightening.

18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

this is where I profess to know the whole story, and fill in the gaps with fiction based on fear and entitlement....OH WAIT YOUVE ALL BEAT ME TO IT!!!! (a couple of you are ok...)

19. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Yes so to be safe lets not discuss it at all and assume the police are perfect. Nothing to see here move along.

20. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

21. BigLove

BigLove TRIBE Member

Best post in here

22. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

I bet those cops feel like big men today.

Fuckin' pussies.

23. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

I witnessed the ETF called in to disarm a drunken elderly woman armed with a butter knife (no joke) and I wouldn't be surprised if the 'would be' victim in that incident called in stating that the knife was a big ass hunting knife. I'm pretty sure cops are trained to expect the worst before they arrive at a scene, however I'm not convinced that they are properly trained to reaccess a situation upon arrival at the scene.

While 9 shots does seem extremely excessive, the victim was mentally ill and obviously in a crisis of some sort which can lead to almost anything (see Richard Kachkar most recently, which is probably still very fresh in many cops' minds). We as a society need to remove the stigma associated with mental illness once and for all. It is an illness no different than cancer or heart disease and no one should be afraid or embarrassed to seek treatment (which happens far too often). I can't help but think that incidents like this one would not happen if it were the case.

I wasn't there and I don't know the details so I won't pass judgement at this time. I sincerely hope that there will be a full investigation and that it's kept fully open to the public. Only when this is complete will I feel qualified to condemn or justify. In the meantime, I feel a great deal of sadness for the victim's family and for all those who had to witness the event.

For the record, I dated a cop for several years and it can be a really shitty job. There were far too many occasions when he bawled in my arms after attending a spousal/child/animal abuse call, not to mention all the other horrid stuff humans are capable of to which he had to witness. Not all cops are bad, but like the proverbial bad apples, some make the whole basket seem rotten. Just my opinion...

24. <3

25. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Exactly....