• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Toronto Maple Leafs 2013-2014

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
With the 2013 draft already completed, and 2 of 2 compliance buyouts already completed, here's the new season thread for 2013-2014.

Questions on the verge of the free agent signing window are:
- Who's gonna be the starting netminder (Bernier/Reimer)?
- Number 1 Center?
- What's up with the defense?
- Will Kadri/Kessel/JVR improve?
- Does Nonis have any big ass tricks up his sleeve? This team has RFA's in line for salary increases, plus there's still a huge chunk of salary cap loonie bucks to spend.

baconpanbaconpanbaconpanbaconpan

PS - Here's the NHL.com Maple Leafs roster

Last edited:

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
i'm sure Grabo and his wife are thrilled for him to be dumped a day before they get married.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Somewhere David Clarkson is rubbing his hands in glee about how much the Leafs are going to overpay for him

kuba

TRIBE Member
So just so I understand:

Player has a 3 year deal at $5M per.
1 year into it (2 years left, $10M owing), he gets "bought out".
He get the $10M AND can sign for ANY amount ANYWHERE else?
Is that $10M paid to him right there or over a certain timeframe?
And the team doesn't have the cap hit ever again for that player?
But the team can instead dump the player in the minors and keep him playing a-la Komi?

oh and cuz i haven't done this in a while my wife and her mom designed and made grabo's wife's wedding gown which I thought was pretty cool.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
So just so I understand:

Player has a 3 year deal at $5M per.
1 year into it (2 years left, $10M owing), he gets "bought out".
He get the $10M AND can sign for ANY amount ANYWHERE else?
Is that $10M paid to him right there or over a certain timeframe?
And the team doesn't have the cap hit ever again for that player?
But the team can instead dump the player in the minors and keep him playing a-la Komi?

oh and cuz i haven't done this in a while my wife and her mom designed and made grabo's wife's wedding gown which I thought was pretty cool.
I think it's actually 2/3 of $10m over 4 years (double the term remaining). It doesn't count against the Leafs' cap and he can sign anywhere else. In the new CBA you can't dump a player in the minors anymore, well you can, but it'll still count against your cap.

Is his fiance Russian or a Canadian girl?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
so he's getting 1.65 Million for the next 4 years, and can sign with anyone.
i love seeing ex Leafs come into the ACC and put up 4 or 5 points against us.
MLSE made a mistake here. SO much talent. putting him to the 3rd or 4th line was an insult.
i've never seen someone get rocked so hard by Chara twice in one game and then score the game winner.
i'm really going to miss him.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
i'll miss grabo.

dude is a fucking warrior. Been a long time in leaf land since we've seen someone literally get the shit kicked out of him game in and game out and yet still throw up some points.

Shitty that he had a bad year..... on the otherhand, was quite overpaid by a bit. Sucked that it had to end like it did.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
so he's getting 1.65 Million for the next 4 years, and can sign with anyone.
i love seeing ex Leafs come into the ACC and put up 4 or 5 points against us.
MLSE made a mistake here. SO much talent. putting him to the 3rd or 4th line was an insult.
i've never seen someone get rocked so hard by Chara twice in one game and then score the game winner.
i'm really going to miss him.
1.8 for eight years. Plus 5.5 for this year. Made 20 million to play 48 games, and he's complaining.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Business is business.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Somewhere David Clarkson is rubbing his hands in glee about how much the Leafs are going to overpay for him
You might be right, but I sure hope not. He's a good gritty winger, but he's not worth 5+ a year. The Leafs need to fill out the middle and add a dman.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
You might be right, but I sure hope not. He's a good gritty winger, but he's not worth 5+ a year. The Leafs need to fill out the middle and add a dman.
If Clarkson is coming to TOR, the deal was worked out before they decided to let Grabbo go. Don't be fooled into thinking that this was an out of left field move, it was clearly necessitated by the fact that other moves are coming.

IF thats not the case then the leafs have some explaining to do but I expect at least 2 announcements today about players being signed

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
And before we go any further, can we all stop what we're doing and give kuba's mom a hand? And his wife? And his kid, any pets he owns, plus a standing O' for the man himself? Let's acknowledge that he's in the company of greatness at the very least. That shit is amaze, bro. Way to go. Give yourself a pat on the back.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
And before we go any further, can we all stop what we're doing and give kuba's mom a hand? And his wife? And his kid, any pets he owns, plus a standing O' for the man himself? Let's acknowledge that he's in the company of greatness at the very least. That shit is amaze, bro. Way to go. Give yourself a pat on the back.
TBH, his wife and in-law make some fantastic dresses, a little out of my price range but if I had money I'd totally buy them

kuba

TRIBE Member
I think it's actually 2/3 of $10m over 4 years (double the term remaining). It doesn't count against the Leafs' cap and he can sign anywhere else. In the new CBA you can't dump a player in the minors anymore, well you can, but it'll still count against your cap.

Is his fiance Russian or a Canadian girl?
So then he doesn't get 100% of the $10M owed under my scenario but 2/3 of it?

Canadian.

kuba

TRIBE Member
If Clarkson is coming to TOR, the deal was worked out before they decided to let Grabbo go. Don't be fooled into thinking that this was an out of left field move, it was clearly necessitated by the fact that other moves are coming.

IF thats not the case then the leafs have some explaining to do but I expect at least 2 announcements today about players being signed
Isn't it "not allowed" for teams to discuss with free agents before the actual day starts?

If that's the case how come Briere negotiated with the Habs?

kuba

TRIBE Member
"I play in the [expletive] Russian KHL, I make lots of [expletive] points and what's going to happen? He make me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again," Grabovski spewed. "Yeah, I don't score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you'll find success]. I don't feel any support from this [expletive] idiot."

Siegel: Grabovski rips Carlyle upon exit from Maple Leafs

I loved this interview. No holds barred.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
all bidness 5.5 is way too much for the guy as much as I love his heart.....guys getting paid 5.5 now are like Tavares, Carter to name a few...Garbos heart may be up there with these guys but not talent

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
TBH, his wife and in-law make some fantastic dresses, a little out of my price range but if I had money I'd totally buy them
You would buy dresses had you the money. Glad we got that out into the open. Is there something else you'd like to share? Perhaps from your closet? :D