1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Toronto Maple Leafs 2010/2011

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tripleup, Jun 1, 2010.

1. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Figured might as well get this started as there has been some good Leaf news already.

Burke outlines Maple Leafs? summer plans | Posted Sports | National Post

By Michael Traikos June 1, 2010 – 1:47 pm

Brian Burke appeared on Sportsnet’s Hockey Central at Noon on Tuesday. And the bombastic Toronto Maple Leafs general manager did not disappoint.

Touching on nearly every issue, Burke told Mike Brophy and R.J. Broadhead that he does not feel pressured to recoup a first-round draft pick, that he has received “nibbles” concerning Tomas Kaberle and that he expects Nazem Kadri to prove he is capable of playing in the NHL next season.

On acquiring a first-round draft pick to make up for the one the Leafs lost in the trade for Phil Kessel
    “It’s not a priority. All this angst over Phil Kessel and Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin, there’s a lot of angst, but not in this office. We knew the risks. I don’t feel like I have to get a first-round pick to get he media off my back. Look at the assets we’ve added since I’ve got here without expending any corporate assets whatsoever …

“If we got a [first-round pick] that would be nice, because I feel bad for my scouts sitting there with their thumbs up their butts for two hours. But that’s the priority. Not to satisfy anyone in the media.”

Translation: Even if the Leafs manage to acquire a first-round pick, it will not make fans forget about losing out on Hall or Seguin.

On roster needs this summer
    “We’ll have to try to acquire that piece through trade — the conventional old-fashioned way and give up assets to get it — or we’re going to try to sign that player as a free agent. Our biggest need is we need a forward who can score, preferably a good-sized one.”

Translation: Chicago’s 6-foot-1 Patrick Sharp or Anaheim’s 6-foot-2 Bobby Ryan would make great additions.

On whether Tomas Kaberle will be traded
    “You don’t move quality players until you’ve turned over every stone. We’ve got two inquiries about Tomas from what I would consider interested teams. They’re more than nibbles. We use fishing terminology in this business. And they were more than nibbles.

“I said to [Leafs VP] Dave Nonis well it’s time to send a note to all teams explaining how exactly Tomas’ no-trade works, explaining that we’re not looking to trade him, explaining we have not committed to trade him, but it’s my job to listen and sew what’s available for him.

“That’s the next step: to see what’s there. But it’s not a case of let’s take the best offer. It’s more a case of if we get something that makes sense we’re going to do it. If not, we’re going to keep him.”

Translation: Kaberle should find a real estate agent.

On the chances that Nazem Kadri will be a Leaf next season
    “What I like about Nazem’s game — having gone back and watched him this year — is that I do feel he is playing in all three zones and he’s trying to play a 60-minute game. Is he ready to play? I would say it would hinge on how much strength he develops this summer. But he’s certainly in the hunt.

“I think everyone hopes he makes it, everyone wants him to make it. But he doesn’t have a spot on this team. And if doesn’t at the end of camp, he goes back … you have to remember: he’s going to go head-to-head with [Mikhail] Grabovski, with [Christian] Hanson, with [Tyler] Bozak, with [John] Mitchell.”

Translation: Kadri’s spot on the team is his to lose.

Read more: Burke outlines Maple Leafs? summer plans | Posted Sports | National Post

2. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Leafs Sign Korbinian Holzer - Toronto Maple Leafs - Press Releases

Brian Burke, president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Thursday that defenceman Korbinian Holzer has signed a two-year entry level contract. Holzer was originally selected by the Maple Leafs in the fourth round, 111th overall in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Holzer, a 22-year-old native of Munich, Germany, played 52 games for the DEG Metro Stars of the German Elite League (DEL) in 2009-10 collecting six goals, 16 assists and 22 points along with 96 penalty minutes. He ranked second on the Metro Stars in plus/minus with a plus-12 rating.

The 6-3, 205-pound defenceman represented Germany at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver where he played in four games and had two penalty minutes. He also participated at the 2010 World Hockey Championships held in Germany. In eight games he earned a plus-one rating and registered a team leading 22 penalty minutes for the Germans.

Over his career he has played for Germany at numerous international championships, including the World Junior Championships in 2007.

3. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

New jerseys and a captain.

Leafs to make Phaneuf captain: Leafs to name Phaneuf captain Monday - The Globe and Mail

The Toronto Maple Leafs will introduce a new sweater and a new captain on Monday.

Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke confirmed Friday that defenceman Dion Phaneuf will be the team’s 17th captain. Phaneuf, 25, was one of four players who served as alternate captains last season.

Ever since Phaneuf came to the Leafs in a trade last January, it has been expected he would eventually be named captain. He succeeds Mats Sundin, who left the team after the 2007-08 season. Since then, the Leafs operated without a captain.

Now that he has the C on his sweater, Phaneuf will be under more pressure than any other Leaf to improve his on-ice performance. While his leadership was a welcome addition to the Leaf dressing room, Phaneuf finished the season with 32 points in 81 games split between the Leafs and the Calgary Flames. It was the lowest total in his five NHL seasons. His salary will rise to $7-million (all currency U.S.) this season, which means much more offensive production will be expected.

No radical changes are expected when the new Leaf sweaters are unveiled on Monday. It is expected the horizontal stripes on the bottom of the jerseys, which were dropped several years ago, will be restored and shoulder patches will be added. The shoulder patch is expected to be an older version of the Maple Leafs logo.

[​IMG]

4. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

I like those.

5. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

In other words -- nobody will notice the changes, but MLSE will make a boatload of cash from the idiots who have to have the newest jersey LOL

6. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Just like when they put on the TML patch on the shoulder mid decade.

I put off buying a new Leafs jersey until they added something since the first was so barebones.

7. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

i hate the lettering, all white looks so plain jane

8. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

The only change should be, all the players have to wear the # 43

9. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Decent jerseys.

Anyone think it'd be a good idea for the leafs to do away with surnames on the jersey back?

10. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

No. Anyone who is learning the game wouldn't benefit. How else would they know who's name to curse!

11. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

because the underworld fan does not feel it appropo for a convo about Jeff Finger be conducted in another thread, here's where it left off:

12. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

I should have been more clear.

I don't see how they can't move him considering how much more $$$ is committed to the back end now with Giguere and Phaneuf combining for $12.5mil.

Even if Kaberle is moved, Finger's the #6 or #7 D on this team. You simply can't spend more than $1mil per D man on your bottom 3 and still field a competitive forward group.

Phaneuf $6.5 Komisarek $4.5
    Beauchemin $3.8 Schenn $2.9
    Finger $3.5 Gunnarsson $800,000
    #7 rookie/minors/FA $600-$900K

That's almost $23million.

Forget about debating endless scenarios and possibilities/probabilities. Demoting him, losing him to waivers and only eating half, trading for a fifth, etc are all possible. Not likely, but they need to lose cash from the back end, especially if Kabby doesn't move as that'll be nearly $28mil on the D, or 50% of the cap.

Somehow Beauchemin and Finger both have to go if the F core is to improve via UFA signings in the next 2 yrs, or to make room for RFA raises for Schenn, Stalberg, Gunnarsson, Bozakand others in 2011.

You simply can't commit that kind of $$$ to your D with only one impact offensive player and field a winning team.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  13. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

It'd be interesting to see what they're going to do with Luke Schenn in 2011-12. He'll become a RFA that year and he's make just under $3mil right now, is he worth +$3mil? Personally I don't think so.

14. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

I've been pretty hard on the Schenn @ #5 selection, however I hold out some hope he might turn into a Seabrook type.

If he settles down defensively and gets some 2nd team PP time, I don't have a problem with a deal in the $3mil range and he makes that now with bonuses. Perhaps a short 2yr deal so we retain his RFA rights and get to see if he develops, then extend him long term if he's earned it.

15. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

So Columbus has openly stated they want to trade down for the #4 spot.

It'd be nice if we could trade Kaberle and snag Gormley or Fowler.

16. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

17. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Leafs made a pick! Traded unnamed unsigned draft choice for Chicago's second round pick. Brad Ross of the Winterhawks was selected. Very tough player from what I've read, a Burke type of player.

@JeffMarek

Brad Ross playy on line with Johansen + Niederreiter w/Portland. leafs just drafted Steve Ott essentially.

18. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

With the 62nd pick overall Leafs selected Greg McKegg of Erie Otters.

19. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

20. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Toronto gets No. 79 from Los Angeles for a 3rd pick in 2012.

21. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

what channel are they showing the draft on, i expect to see tripleup advising all gms in a ronald mcdonald outfit

22. ScottBentley

23. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Norwegianplayer Sondre Olden

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  24. ScottBentley

Sondre Olden Player Profile:

Ett storväxt löfte med bra offensiv. Teknisk spelare med bra puckkontroll och fin skridskoåkning. Pålitlig poängplockare och värdefull i numerärt överläge tack vare ett bra spelsinne. Däremot något ojämn och väger än så länge lite lätt. (av: Ulf Andersson)

25. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

engrish preasE!