1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Toronto Film Festival 2003

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by MoFo, Aug 22, 2003.

1. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I'm looking for the schedule but the site says it's not up till the 26th. Which is a little weird.

The site also looks a little ghetto. Can anyone link me to the official site?

Anyone else going?

*very excited* It's my 7th year attending, I think. I lost count!

2. Will consider it if they don't gouge people as much as last year. I want to see what the midnight madness line up is like too.

3. Eccentric (LRG)

Eccentric (LRG) TRIBE Member

when does it start and end ?
    I so want to go up for it......
    I've never been yet but every year I say "I'm gonna go"
    then never do :(.

My schedual and priorities are shite these days.

4. PRIMAL

PRIMAL TRIBE Member

There's a draw at my work to win free tickets to L'Histoire de Marie et Julien and Shattered Glass.

5. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I'm kind of annoyed at the festival people.. they're pretty singy. My GF was the postergirl for their campaign last year.. they sold her face (and body) on everything from t-shirts to to posters to books to mugs, and didn't give us not even one free open ticket. Also the guy who did the ad campaign for them did it for free to get exposure, and they barely put his credit anywhere.

6. It's not as people and public friendly anymore Rob, I've seen it deteriorate since around 1997. Before I never really had much of a problem getting into the films or making contacts. It's become however a very "who do you know and what do I have to gain from it?" kind of deal.

This is unfortunately what happens when a film festival becomes the biggest right after Cannes.

7. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Yea I thought they were relatively small & non-proffit when I first caught wind of the festival, apparently that's not the case.

It really does suck. It's sad that an organization that large still weasles a free ad campaign by holding the bid for it as a selectively publicized "contest" just to get it free.

Then turns around, and sets up shop including contracts with huge companies like ROOTS to sell & distribute T-shirts and posters other various money making merchandise, not even thinking to even make an effort to publicise the creatives that spent thousands of their own money to create the campaign, or even give them a few tickets. Although my girl got paid by the creative agency for her work, she and them had no idea how much The Film People would use the images for monetary benefit.

8. It used to be a small operation, but now it's huge business.

Also, I've found that film fest people generally want to avoid paying anyone anything if they can.

9. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

if your gf was one of *those* girls, then... buddy.

10. EyeSpy

EyeSpy TRIBE Member

Yes I have tickets to the Hugo Boss Event. My good friend works at Sassoons and he got them for us. Should be fun...

11. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

REALLY wanna see brown bunny and that flick with sean penn/del toro...ah well, hopefully I'll score something

12. 21 grams. I was reading about it today.

13. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

just that acting force!...Will always think these 2 have the best to offer in whatever role they play because i know they take each one VERY seriously

14. Check out Clint Eastwood's line up for Mystic River:

Sean Penn
    Tim Robbins
    Kevin Bacon
    Laurence Fishburne
    Marcia Gay Harden
    Laura Linney

There's quite a few powerhouse cast films coming this fall.

15. Okay, I'm kind of reconsidering Laura Linney and the term "powerhouse casting"

16. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

please, finish your sentence.

17. rejenerate

rejenerate TRIBE Member

I saw the Midnight Madness list a few days ago...it wasn't too impressive for me personally, based on what I could find out about the films. Offhand, I remember one is called Cypher with Lucy Liu, by the guy who did Cube. Another is Undead, an Australian zombie film. And Underworld, the Kate Beckinsale vampire/horror flick that is coming out in theatres anyway.

My work is sponsoring MM and my boss said he'd take me so I'm going to go as much as I can anyway.

~jen

18. No kung fu/bullet ballet? :(

Volcano High ruled.

19. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Ack, why are there so many big Hollywood movies?

The highlight for me every year was seeing great films, not great big stars.

Again, does anyone know what the official site is with the schedules? Like I said, the google one is REALLY ghetto.

And Rob, I know what it's like. The Festival is known to take its volunteers and contributors for granted. It shows how poserish and needy our city is in terms of cultural progression. We can't find our own niche so we have to follow what other big cities are doing..

I always equated the Fest with Sundance but from the looks of what Sundance has become, I'd say we're pretty close.

20. rejenerate

rejenerate TRIBE Member

No worries...Asia is representin'! I remember something called The Grudge, and another with "Thai Warrior" in the title. I think there were a couple of other Asian films as well. If I'd seen this thread at work today, I'd have been of more help. :)

~jen

21. rejenerate

rejenerate TRIBE Member

http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/

I agree, my favourite thing about the film fest is seeing some obscure thing with no one famous that blows me away...the little gems. All the galas are big films that will open anyway, so why pay $26? The only one I want to see is School of Rock by Richard Linklater, with Jack Black...may go if I can get a free ticket.

~jen

22. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I only went to galas if they were free.

1) It's just a glorified film screening. People dress up when ya can't even see what you look like in the dark.

2) It's $26 to see something that's going to be shown anyway.

3) Most of the time, it's shitty, huge movie.

YEAH, that's the site. Every year they have a film but this year, it's pretty bad.

Where is the schedule? How can people buy advance tix without knowing the times?

Jen, if you'd like, me and Bossypoo will be going to a Midnight Madness. Come with?
    And also, are there any short films going on? ESPECIALLY Midnight Madness ones? Those are usually hardcore goodness.

24. rejenerate

rejenerate TRIBE Member

According to the site, the schedule will be up Aug. 26. All the pass books are sold out. And the box office is at College Park again...I was really hoping for the Eaton Centre (for selfish reasons).

MoFo, I'm going to try to go to as many MM shows as I can handle. My boss said we can figure it out when we know the schedule. He'll also be away for a couple of days during the fest so I may buy tickets if I want to see those films badly enough. Let me know what you're into. I don't see any short MM-type films on the schedule.

Bossypoo? Who's that? :)

~jen

25. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Okay, sounds good. I'm into.. anything really edgy... I liked going to see Spun. That was great because it was a edgy, "It" director, had a great Q&A and it went right to video..

I can always get day-of tickets...