• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto Blue Jays 2006

The Shiking

TRIBE Member
So do they plan on keeping Hinske? Like a bench role or 4th outfielder?

Poor bastard... I like the guys attitude. willing to do whatever it takes and assume whatever role to stay with the team, but relegated to the bench must leave him stinging...

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Koskie must be feeling the sting too!
getting traded for a Minor League "un"prospect!

watch him have an amazing year, just to spite JP!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

The Shiking

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SolChild
Not Rios.

platooning Cat and Reed.
Yah, but where does Hinske go? IF sugar D is right, then Hinske is in left. You say keep Rios in right, and obviously Vernon Wells is in center. Then you have the cat and Reed on the bench? Im confused...

But its Monday so I am sure this all makes some sense...

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
I think Hinske will be benched most of the time, he'll DH once in awhile and maybe get to LF here and there, but I dont see it happening with any sort of regularity.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Its imparative to keep RIOS' "cannon of an arm" in right field.

He is always near the top in assists.

rockstardom

TRIBE Member
Good luck Koskie...you will be missed!

Hinske....package him and get rid of him....will be hard with his contract....OR with any injuries, he could be an excellent player to fill many roles.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
I read few reports yesterday that has Molina signing a 1-year deal with either the Dodgers or Jays. But it's still up in the air.

*Apparently* his agent wants him to sign a one year deal this year because free agent catchers will be in high demand next off-season...allowing Molina to demand a lot more cash in the long run.

I like Molina, but I'm not 100% sure about using the remainder of our money on him. He's an upgrade over Zaun in power and throwing arm...but I think a big reason our SP was so solid last year is because of the great game Zaun calls. And is it really worth just grabbing him for possibly one season?

Guess we'll have to see how it pans out...

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stormshadow
I like Molina, but I'm not 100% sure about using the remainder of our money on him. He's an upgrade over Zaun in power and throwing arm...but I think a big reason our SP was so solid last year is because of the great game Zaun calls. And is it really worth just grabbing him for possibly one season?

Guess we'll have to see how it pans out...
I think sigining him would be a huge boost to the Jays pitching staff. Let's not forget Anaheim's pitching was pretty good last year as well, and have to give some credit to their backstopper.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
The thing I hate the most about our current situation is we just threw out any payroll flexability we had.

Doc and Vernon are coming up for contracts in the next yr or two, and the Koskie deal is really gonna hurt us long term, no matter how he performs, since we sent cash to the brewers, totally Koskie for 1yr service to around $12mil.

The FA signings were great, but JP's trading ability leaves a lot to be desired.

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
http://www.freewebs.com/baseballtraderumors/freeagentnews.htm

I don't know much about this site...so take from it what you will...

Molina and Jays close to agreement (1/14)

Bengie Molina and Ramon Hernandez figured to head the class of free-agent catchers this offseason. Hernandez received a contract first, but Molina is finally off the market. The Blue Jays, still uncomfortable with Greg Zaun as an everyday catcher decided to sign Molina to a 3 year deal worth what is believed between 16 and 18 million dollars. From what we understand, this could still fall through, but it is expected that Molina will be signed by Wednesday of this week.

Theeeeen....

Molina update (1/17)

As we reported late last week, the Blue Jays are getting close to signing free agent catcher Bengie Molina. Now published in some Toronto papers is that Toronto's GM J.P Ricciardi spoke to Molina's agent about a possible deal. Expect Molina to end up north of the border.

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
This is from the scout.com forums, courtesy of the resident Accountant, WillRain..

Best info on Jays Payroll going forward:

Guaranteed contracts are bolded, others are estimates. Assumes all current players remain until free agency. Assumes internal replacements for departing free agents where possible to project. Projections of replacement players are tenative, for instance, where it says "Janssen" you may wish to read "Banks"

Halladay 12.7
Burnett 1.0 ($6 mil bonus off budget)
Lily 4.0
Chacin 0.4
Towers 2.3

Ryan 2.0 ($6 mil bonus off budget)
Speier 2.25
Schoe'weis 2.75
Chulk 0.37
Frasor 0.4
Downs 0.705
Walker 0.75 ARB

Zaun 1.0
Quiroz 0.33

Overbay 2.525
Hinske 4.35

Adams 0.36

Hill 0.34
McDonald 0.5

Glaus 9.25
Hillenbrand 4.8 ARB

Wells 4.3
Rios 0.44
Johnson 1.425
Cat 2.7

Koskie payment: $4.0
1/5 of signing bonus for Ryan ($2.0), Burnett ($1.2): $3.2

Total: $69.1 million (Some modifications per Sparty's suggestions below. I disagree with him about the arby figures for Lilly and Shea...though I did bump Lilly higher than my previous $3.5 estimate (against my better judgement)...but I included the pro-rated portion of the signing bonuses and made a couple of other tweaks)

If you chose to account the full reported measure of the signing bonuses this year you have to add $8.8.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 (VERY rough estimates)

Halladay 12.8
Burnett 12.0
Towers 2.9
Chacin 0.5
McGowan 0.35

Ryan 5.0 ($4 mill bonus off budget)
Frasor 1.0 ARB
Downs 1.2 ARB
League 0.35
Marcum 0.35
Rosario 0.35
Chulk 0.45

Quiroz 0.35
Phillips(?) 0.5

Overbay 3.5 ARB
Hinske 5.65

Adams 0.5

Hill 0.45

Glaus 10.75

Wells 5.6
Rios 0.7
Johnson 2.6

Koskie: $4.0
Signing bonus: $3.2

Total: $64.7 million

2 open spots. Needs include another middle infielder, and an outfielder.

Alternate reading:
Accounting full amount of signing bonuses as announced, the budget spent is $77.9 for 2006 and 65.5 for 2007.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories