• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Toronto Blue Jays 2005

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by *SiLver*RoBoT*
If the Jays fail to land Burnett, they would still have the potential to get in on the expected trade bonanza for Oakland A's left-hander Barry Zito, who could wind up being the showstopper of the meetings. With one season to go until free agency, Zito will almost certainly require a multi-year package from any team he is traded to and the Jays, if Burnett spurns their overtures, will be flush with enough cash to make a tempting proposal.
If the Jays lose out on Burnett, I would MUCH rather have Zito anyways.
I'd have no problem with us dropping even more money than Burnett would cost to aquire him either. We'd have the best 1-2 punch in the AL, and maybe the whole MLB.

C'mon JP, work some magic!

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
Free agent Burnett close to deal with Toronto

ESPN.com

The agent for free-agent pitcher A.J. Burnett is closing in on a five-year, $55 million deal for his client with the Toronto Blue Jays, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reports.

Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, spent much of Monday meeting with Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi. A source told Crasnick that a deal has not been finalized, but could be struck as early as Monday night.

Burnett's agents still have to meet with Blue Jays management. One other team, believed to be the St. Louis Cardinals, could make a last-ditch effort to sign the former pitcher for the Florida Marlins.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported on Sunday that the Cardinals were waiting to see if Burnett -- who grew up a Cardinals fan -- will decide to accept the team's four-year offer worth around $40 million.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

The Shiking

TRIBE Member
DALLAS - The Toronto Blue Jays on Monday traded righthander Chad Gaudin, who was designated for assignment Friday to clear room for newly acquired closer B.J. Ryan, to the Oakland Athletics for a player to be named.

Gaudin went 1-3 with a 13.15 ERA in five appearance - three starts - for the Blue Jays last season. He spent most of the campaign at Class AAA Syracuse, where he was 9-8 with a 3.35 ERA in 23 starts.

The 22-year-old began his major league career in Tampa Bay in 2003 and owns a career record of 4-5 with a 5.46 ERA in 46 appearances, including 10 starts.

To make room on the 40-man roster for Gaudin, the Athletics designated catcher John Baker for assignment.

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
From the Sun:

The Philadelphia Phillies and Jays again discussed a Bobby Abreu-for-Vernon Wells deal. Lefty Gustavo Chacin and closer Miguel Batista would have to be in the deal for the Phillies to move Abreu, which is unlikely.

With Kyle Farnsworth gone to the New York Yankees and with Danny Kolb a failure at closer, the Atlanta Braves have Batista on their radar.

The Braves are willing to offer catcher Johnny Estrada. He hit .261 with four homers and 39 RBIs in 105 games in 2005.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/Trades/2005/12/06/1340745-sun.html

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Hmmm...when I think about it...

Abreu .286 24 102 104 31
Wells .269 28 97 78 8

Would it really be worth giving up Chacin + $9Mill extra (over Vernon's salary) per year for Abreu?

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
The Jays won't pull the trigger on the Abreu trade if it's going to cost Wells, Chacin and Batista...we'd still be left with only one big bat.

I've heard they're also talking to the Nats for Brad Wilkerson.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Looks like the Burnett deal is official!!

Jays get their ace

With the signing of Burnett, the Blue Jays will have spent $102 million on two pitchers this off-season.

Sportsnet.ca -- Sources close to Toronto Blue Jays have confirmed a Globe & Mail report that the ball club has signed pitcher A.J. Burnett to a multi-year deal and that the pitcher on Tuesday morning was undergoing a physical in Florida.

Once Burnett completes the physical, it's expected he will fly to Dallas where baseball's winter meetings are being held for a late afternoon press conference to announce the signing.

Reports suggest the Jays have signed Burnett to a five-year, $55 million deal, which, coupled with the signing of B.J. Ryan at $47 million over five years, means general manager J.P. Ricciardi has spent more than $100 million in the past 10 days.

Ricciardi also confirmed to Sportnetnews last night that he signed a contract extension that takes him through the 2010 season.

Being reported on Sportsnet, and Fan 590 (although they're both owned by Rogers)

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stormshadow
Hmmm...when I think about it...

Abreu .286 24 102 104 31
Wells .269 28 97 78 8

Would it really be worth giving up Chacin + $9Mill extra (over Vernon's salary) per year for Abreu?
Fuck no!

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Another rumour (gotta love the rumours)

Cincinnati Reds are interested in Miguel Batista. They asked for Adam Dunn in return. Reds balked. But talks have resumed.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Well, the Jays should have landed him based on the 5/55 mil offer.

Its a bit much, but if he has a solid year all will be forgotten.

Remember the playoffs a couple of years ago AJ was unreal.

Halladay
AJ
Chacin
Lilly
Mcgowen

Best rotation in the AL

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Yes I forgot about Towers.........

This just makes me giddy.

If they can land a solid bat, we will be taking the East by storm!!!

and Manny who can vito a trade to any team, has said he would play for Toronto, but I don't see the Rex Sox trading him to an East contender.

Eclipze

TRIBE Member
55 million is alot for a .500 career pitcher. Lets hope he lives up to the contract....also even though Zito is a free agent next year i still think the jays should make a push for him. Lily hasn't been the same since he had surgery, plus there had been internal problems.
How bout that as a 1,2,3 punch eh?
Aslo how bout Aubrey Huff at first? I think he would look good in a Jays uniform

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Eclipze
55 million is alot for a .500 career pitcher. Even though Zito is a free agent next year i still think the jays should make a push for him. Lily hasn't been the same since he had surgery, plus there had been internal problems.
How bout that as a 1,2,3 punch?
Who's also thrown a no-hitter, won a world series, less we forget.

I don't care. I've always believed in JP when people were down on him, and with these two acquisitions - even though a little pricey, still believe. That's the cost of doing business as everyone says, in the East.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Eclipze
Aslo how bout Aubrey Huff at first? I think he would look good in a Jays uniform
I like Huff a lot, but I think I read somewhere that the Jays weren't interested in him (?).

Also, I would love JP to go after Zito as well. I think I would rather have Zito in our rotation and land a mid-tier solid bat like Mench, than go after an expensive big bat.
Pitching wins championships.