• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Top Scary Movies!

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Hi All,

I'm compiling a list of my all time top 31 movies! I picked movies that generally made me jump or cover my eyes. I didn't put Rosemary's baby, The shining, Texas Chainsaw Masacar (original), bc those movies didn't scare me. I know they're classics but I just didn't find them that scary.

I only have 30 right now.. The movie SESSIONS 9 is in a lot of peoples lists.. I found it on Netflix so i'm going to watch it later to see if it should also make mine.

The Tale of Two Sisters also made a lot of peoples lists.. I bought it years ago and I tried to watch it but i'm impatient.. I can't stand slow horror.. I want stuff to happen immediately or else I lose interest.. So I never got through this movie.

Anyway here is my list.

Decent
The Ring (i haven't seen Ringu and the ring scared the crap out of me so i'm too scared to watch the original)
The Exorcist
Alone
Rahtree: Flower of the night
Hallowe'en
Panoramal Activity
House on Haunted Hill
Ju-on: The Grudge
House of a 1000 corpses
À l'intérieur
Insidious
Hellraiser
Candyman
The Omen
REC
Event Horizon
Misery
IT
The Strangers
Pet Cemetery
JAWS
The Eye
Ginger Snaps
Stir of Echos
Shutter
Lovely Molly
Haute Tension
Martyrs
CREEP

Just curious what made your guys lists? I love Hallowe'en.. I'm going to see Insidious 2 tonight. woooo

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
I think these threads show up every year but since you asked:

The Shining
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Halloween (Rob Zombie remake)
Alien
Aliens
Ju-On: The Grudge
Suicide Club
Frontiers
The Ring
I Spit On Your Grave
The Omen 2

honorable mention: IT

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Define "scary"? Do you mean a film where there is a lot of tension coupled with shock moments? Or do you mean something that is downright scary as in disturbing.

An example of the former is "Aliens" (1986), though I would not classify it as a horror film by any stretch. An SF action-thriller, yes, but not horror.

An example of the latter is "A Serbian Film". If you haven't watched it, don't. It is an incredibly disturbing film, and it scares me to think there are people like that in this world. Anyway, don't watch it. Seriously.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
When I was a little kid the wicked witch in `The Wizard of Oz` and those friggin headhunters that showed up on episodes of `Gilligan`s Island`scared the shit out me. For real. :p

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

BAd Luck

TRIBE Member
all wrong...
even the trailer for the exorcist should make you shit your ass out.
Shining is best
Exorcist is two
Nightmare on Elmstreet is three.
P.S. The Shinging is the only book I have ever read that I had to put down, close pages
and turn the lights on.
and I dissagreee with Hellraiser. Great book. Big fan of Clive Barker, however none of his
short storys or novels ever translated to film very well.

derek

TRIBE Member
Black Christmas (The original)
always a fave

jacob's ladder
the thing
creepshow

and badluck, when comparing most movies to the book is usually bound to fail. most of barker's film work is mediocre at best but fun. like:

rawhead rex (he wore the screen play) or
nightbreed (based on his book 'cabal')

2 more movies for the list

Lojack

TRIBE Member
^^if you like psychological check out jacob's ladder if you haven't seen it.
+1, excellent film for smart folks.

I also appreciate Exorcist 3. It's a of a mess, but something about it gave me the willies years ago.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
The Descent
Session 9

These are my most memorable of last while.... but I can go in for shlock, just doesn't scare me as much.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Straw Dogs
Last House on the Left (remake)
What Lies Beneath (seriously)
Silent House (original called La Casa Madre (sp?))
The Awakening

John Carpenter's remake of The Thing is still one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. It manages to cement his title of "The Master of Suspense" that he earned through his career, offer some incredibly gruesome ideas for the gore hounds and it was pretty ahead of its time for making its creature almost like a virus. The offbeat casting for its time with Kurt Russell, Keith David and Wilford Brimley(!) made for a series of characters that were all suspicious in their own way, thereby raising the tension when they're trying to figure out who's infected. This was probably John Carpenter's best film and his masterpiece.

and I dissagreee with Hellraiser. Great book. Big fan of Clive Barker, however none of his
short storys or novels ever translated to film very well.
I disagree - I thought that Hellraiser captured the horror theme wrapped in a truely twisted love story that Barker had written, albeit toned down.

Lord of Illusions I thought was a pretty nice expansion of the short story from the books of blood. It's a pretty pulpy feeling movie, but I liked how it managed to convey Barker's depiction of magic and illusion being very similar but very different things.

Also, Midnight Meat Train wasn't a bad adaptation of the short story either - and Ryuhei Kitamura's North American debut, I thought, was really impressive. It lays on the gore thick, but the ending captured the book's theme pretty nicely. And Bradley Cooper was pretty good in this too.

I think though that the biggest disappointment for anything involving Clive Barker though was how badly they fucked up his novel Cabal by turning it into Nightbreed. It starts off quite good, has David Cronenberg doing a creepy role and nosedives prompty at about the 20 to 30 minute mark once the make up effects start to show up. Insult is added to injury when the last half hour just becomes a shooting gallery. There's apparently a pretty decent fan edit on the web and I've heard that there's a re-edited, expanded edition that I'm told is way better, but then again, I've been told the same thing about the Renegade Edit of Highlander 2.

BAd Luck

TRIBE Member
John Carpenter's remake of The Thing is still one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. It manages to cement his title of "The Master of Suspense" that he earned through his career, offer some incredibly gruesome ideas .
This was a talent following the writer H.P. Lovecraft. Adobted by Stephen King, and John Carpenter. Quote verbatim Lovecraft. "Never over describe the source of the terror, the reader will imagine something far worse in their
own mind than anything you can describe."
so true.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
The Descent
Session 9

These are my most memorable of last while.... but I can go in for shlock, just doesn't scare me as much.
I saw Session 9 finally yesterday. I'll have to watch it again though bc i missed bits as I was doing something at the same time while watching. My friend told me it's slow horror.. and thats true...takes awhile to build up.

I finally watched MAMA yesterday also. That movie is pretty scary. I jumped a few times.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Define "scary"? Do you mean a film where there is a lot of tension coupled with shock moments? Or do you mean something that is downright scary as in disturbing.

An example of the former is "Aliens" (1986), though I would not classify it as a horror film by any stretch. An SF action-thriller, yes, but not horror.

An example of the latter is "A Serbian Film". If you haven't watched it, don't. It is an incredibly disturbing film, and it scares me to think there are people like that in this world. Anyway, don't watch it. Seriously.
I read the script on wikipedia for a serbian film.. that movie isn't even a horror movie. It's classified in its own genre of fucked up.

Hellraiser has always scared me.. Not much the story lines/plot. it's just the characters.. Pin Head and the Meninites.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
John Carpenter's remake of The Thing is still one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. It manages to cement his title of "The Master of Suspense" that he earned through his career, offer some incredibly gruesome ideas for the gore hounds and it was pretty ahead of its time for making its creature almost like a virus. The offbeat casting for its time with Kurt Russell, Keith David and Wilford Brimley(!) made for a series of characters that were all suspicious in their own way, thereby raising the tension when they're trying to figure out who's infected. This was probably John Carpenter's best film and his masterpiece.
I saw this for the first time last week and I mixed feelings..I understand it was innovative for the special effects in 1982 but it could have even been a psychological thriller there was still some questions (ie the ending) which I wasn't sure about...

derek

TRIBE Member
I read the script on wikipedia for a serbian film.. that movie isn't even a horror movie. It's classified in its own genre of fucked up.

Hellraiser has always scared me.. Not much the story lines/plot. it's just the characters.. Pin Head and the Meninites.
mennonites scare me too but your looking for cenobites

Persephone

TRIBE Member
^^if you like psychological check out jacob's ladder if you haven't seen it.
Yes, and I've been meaning to see this for, probably, years. Don't know why I haven't done it yet. But I'll get on it!

The Thing was actually pretty damn creepy too.